5.0 out of 5 stars Throw all the other books away
Since this book arrived I've not been able to put it down, the advice is down to earth and easy to follow. Great results are obtained with minimal disruption and effort. Our family life has been changed overnight. I thought I knew it all about looking after babies and bringing up children, now I realize I did'nt.
Thanks for your help Sarah a Mummy, peadiatric nurse...
Published on 19 Oct 2005 by Sarah Chittock

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea
Published on 20 Nov 2008 by Tired Dad

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 20 Nov 2008
This review is from: Nanny Wisdom: Our Secrets for Raising Healthy, Happy Children - From Newborns to Preschoolers (Paperback)
This is not a bad book, but I felt I ought to write a little review as the very positive reviews on here so far I found to differ from my experience. We have two little boys and have a number of books, but saw this and thought it would give us some real extra help. As most reviews have focused on the positives I will highlight the negatives. I'm sure this book is interesting reading if you are a nanny for a wealthy family but frankly it's a bit annoying to be told numerous stories about how mummy had to jet off to Paris and the traumas they had staying in a 5 star hotel etc. Secondly, to me this book was marketed as advice from "English Nannies" but I think these ladies have spent too long in the states with starry eyed employers and the continual use of American words i.e. jelly for jam and candy for sweets I find grating (hey I'm fussy and maybe the book is really intended to sell on the other side of the pond). Finally we tried to find some key topics in here to give us some advice, such as toilet training, but unless I'm completely wrong it's just not included.
So in summary nice book if you want to know about nannies working for rich people, some of the advice is good but not much that you would not find in one of the more practical guides and probably presented in a more factual way - i.e. when you are running around after two boys do you really have time to read a whole chapter on how to get them to sit at the table, I prefer the simple straight talking approach of books such as "what to expect the toddler years"
My opinion only so take it with a pinch of salt and in conjunction with all the gushing praise here too and decide if it is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Throw all the other books away, 19 Oct 2005
Thanks for your help Sarah a Mummy, peadiatric nurse and ex Nanny

5.0 out of 5 stars A parent must have !, 14 Nov 2005
Nanny Wisdom is Honest, Funny and a joy to read. I really liked the way the authors tell you without worrying about your feelings what you probably know you should be doing, but have just been avoiding.
It is also great to read about other families going through the same difficulties you are. ( even the rich and famous ones )
I would recommend this as an excellent Christmas gift, your friends can't do without.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a winner, 22 Jun 2006
Nanny Kerry (Brighton, Sussex) - See all my reviews
I am a nanny and this book is just fantastic! The advice is spot on - I learnt a lot from this book. You can tell the authors are very experienced and they know exactly what makes kids tick. As a nanny myself I also loved the little stories so much.

I showed this book to my boss and she used the chapter on sleep to solve her son's waking in the middle of the night. I am using it during my work hours with his sister's fussy eating and have seen major improvements. I hightly recommend this book to all nannies who want to be the best nanny they can be and to all parents who want to learn the secrets of the professionals. There is no mumbo jumbo in this book just really solid information and techniques which make sense and work to make kids happy, and also their parents and nannies happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Basics Loving Childcare Tips, 3 May 2006
I purchased this book only last week and have not been able to put it down. It is a fabulous read with SO much useful parenting information. I have twin girls of 1yr and a very challenging 4yr old son, the tips in this book have really helped me with every day life with my three young children. Nanny Wisdom has a very positive and refreshing perspective for bringing up children. What I liked most about the book was it's wide range of advice and information, including recipes, schedule charts and nanny wisdoms, I also found the 'Nanny Tales' quite charming. Nanny Wisdom has a very encouraging tone, and is not judgemental at all. Whilst reading this book all I felt was encouragement and support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Throw all the other books away, 19 Oct 2005
Thanks for your help Sarah a Mummy, peadiatric nurse DipHE RN Child and ex Nanny

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for parents!, 25 Aug 2006
Jessie68 "Jessie" (Castle Bromwich, Birmingham) - See all my reviews
I was delighted after I ordered and read the whole of Nanny Wisdom cover to cover - I found it to be of the best (all emcompassing childcare books) that i have ever read. What i really liked was that I was able to get some insight from childcare pro's - their views/opinions for raising HAPPY children were very insightful - i love the recipes and charts that are featured all through the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nanny Wisdom, 13 Jun 2009
Mrs. M. Craig (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
This book received good reviews, I read it from cover to cover and to be honest there wasn't anything that really was that ground breaking. The two nursery nurses who wrote the book have wrote it for the American market so the book continually goes on about the English Nanny knows best which repeats the same message over and over. Not worth the money in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Life Saver for young mothers., 30 Dec 2012
Given as an early Christmas present to a mum of a three year old. She started reading it and followed the advice on sleeproblems immediately. She came back into the room 'smiling'. Her life is back on track.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weirdly racist, 3 April 2013
I didn't like this book at all. It is the exact opposite of the Sears view of things. Children should be in their place, and have no individuality or individual care or love. I only read a few pages at the beginning but it was so infuriating that I binned the book. Also the endless emphasis on "English Nannies" is very strange indeed, and comes over as quite racist.

ARRAY(0xabf12a20)