5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal
Published on 23 Jun 2005 by bluecougar25

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book, but ...
I like knitting and I love giving handmade and homemade gifts to friends, so when I heard of Joelle Hoverson's book "Last-Minute Knitted Gifts" I was very intrigued. Sadly, the book proved to be less intriguing than I had hoped.

Published on 27 Feb 2007 by crimecatuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, 23 Jun 2005
This review is from: Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (Hardcover)
I like this kind of book, it does exactly what the title suggests, gives you a whole host of patterns that can be knitted up quickly and given to people (or kept for yourself). With scarfs, little bags, toys and soft furnishings as well as baby stuff there should be something to suit pretty much everyone, with the patterns laid out clearly with good photographs. Best of all, the projects are divided by time, so you can pick something fast or a little slower depending on your deadline, and there are nice extras like the article on colour combination and useful hints on wrapping and presentation. The airy scarf is my favourite thus far, but I'm sure my friends will be receiving many of these items as time goes by. An excellent mix of the practical and fun, with things suitable for the beginner as well as more advanced knitters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book, but ..., 27 Feb 2007
This review is from: Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (Hardcover)

Looking at the title, I would assume the operative word here is "gifts", and maybe my definition is different from Hoverson's, but the "gift appeal" of some of the featured items is more than debatable. Essentially, Hoverson offers an eclectic selection of small, easily made knitted items, divided into different chapters, according to roughly how long it will take to make them. There are 32 projects in all (not counting variations of a basic pattern, like the selection of hats or the soft toys). This number, though, sounds more impressive than it actually is. 8 of the projects are scarves, that old, old stalwart of knitted gifts, last-minute or otherwise. Another 8 are presents for babies and small children, from angora baby booties to a snuggle blanket. Baby clothes, by merit of their size, are always quickly made, and they even might come in handy as last-minute gifts if you suddenly found out your dinner hosts have a baby and you are tired of bringing a bottle of wine. Still, these particular items are best described as listless - we've seen it all before, and a lot better. And that, exactly, is the problem with this book: Most of the designs are just that little bit too simple, and even though Hoverson uses beautiful, colourful and exquisite yarns (most of them not readily available in the UK), most of the items are lacking that certain "wow" factor which would turn them into desirable gifts, and not just last-minute products of sheer desperation.

Yes, there are some lovely patterns, too - a truly beautiful silk camisole, for example, and the hand/wrist warmers have proved to be in great demand among all my friends. On the other hand, you have such ridiculous items as pompoms and linen tassels and "sweater and stocking minis" which, according to Hoverson, have almost unlimited decorative uses - most of them in the bin, I fear.

The other parts of the book fail to impress, too. There are the prerequisite sections on "knitting basics" - yarns, needles etc. - and a supposedly new approach to colours, but most of it is just so much hot air, or rather, an exercise in belabouring the obvious. Mind-numbing sentences like, "a row counter is a tool that keeps count of the rows worked," abound, and the revolutionary new perspective in regard to colours boils down to a simple "you don't have to stick to the colour stated in a pattern, you can use any colour you like." There is also a list of Hoverson's favourite (knitting) books, and a section on suppliers - which should come in handy if you are ever in the States, or New York in particular (where you will also find Hoverson's own shop). If, like me, you are knitting in the UK, it's simply two wasted pages.

"Last-Minute Knitted Gifts" does contain some nice designs, even some useful ones. Its inspirational value is limited, though, as none of the projects offer any real creative twists or anything out of the very ordinary. Make sure to have a look at it before you buy, otherwise you might be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars a reader, 12 April 2006
This review is from: Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book, I'm really glad I bought it. There is a wide variety of projects, most of which are straightforward. I'm working on the chevron scarf at the moment. It looks amazing, and I'm finding it very easy once I interpretted the abbreviations. This is the 4th scarf pattern I've made, all good enough to give away as gifts, which has boosted my confidence no end. I've also made the bag illustrated on the front cover, just out of ordinary craft cotton, rather than the recommended silk. One area where I have struggled is in replacing the american yarns which aren't available over here, for example with the chevron scarf, but I think this is just my own inexperience. Next I'd like to knit the baby bootees but I don't understand the instructions, so it may take me longer than the guideline 2 hours. I would recommend this book to any knitter, especially novices like myself, as I'm finding it a great way to expand my skills.

2.0 out of 5 stars Knitted Pants., 28 Dec 2006
This review is from: Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (Hardcover)
I'm definitely NOT an experienced knitter but these patterns were simply dull.

There was nothing in this book, that made me feel I wanted to pick up my needles and get cracking.

However, the only reason why this book gets 2 stars is because the author has a good "Knitting Basics" sections.

Sorry to put a downer on this book but I can recommended better!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, 8 Aug 2006
This review is from: Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (Hardcover)
This has to be THE knitted gift book. If you only buy one, this has to be it. Full of contemporary simple designs using luxurious yarns you're only trouble will be what to knit first.

I knitted the Rabbit Lovable Toy and was so impressed with the instructions and finished product. I'd never been interested in knitted toys but this design was just amazing. I used Blue Sky Alpacas as recommended which is a fabulous yarn.

Although many of the yarns are from the US most are easy to obtain on the internet or quite easy to substitute. This book is easily my favourite knitted gift book and the first I turn to when looking for a knitted present to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 12 Sep 2008
Pompom (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (Hardcover)
Whenever I open this book I want to grab my needles and start knitting. I realise that different people like different things - but I found this book to be full of beautiful ideas for knitted gifts. The lovely photos help of course. I'm not an experienced knitter (and maybe those knitting virtuosos amongst you may prefer more complex projects), but it isn't intimidating and all the projects are clearly explained. I'll be trying to knit some gifts for christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars In Praise of Simplicity, 19 Jan 2008
This review is from: Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (Hardcover)
I really love this book, and refer to it al the time. Someboy has criticised the book's projects for being boring and uninspiring, but I am afraid I must disagree. I actually find it far easier to be creative when working from a very simple pattern such as these, I find that it leaves lots of room for improvisation and imagination.I think that this was probably the author's deliberate intention. I would thoroughly reccomend it to anybody creative with the capacity to add their own unique touches without needing too much instruction. Beautifully presented, this is one of my favourite craft books ever.

Bridey Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great projects, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (Hardcover)
Great ideas and very nicely photographed. Instructions are clear and easy to follow. I can see myself making lots of projects from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect transaction, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (Hardcover)
All went as well as it could go with this order. No delay, item arrived in condition as described and I have no reason for complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (Hardcover)
This book is lovely. It has achievable but inspired projects. Along with detailed useful hints. Already made the scarf. Would definately recommend.

Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
Last-Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson (Hardcover - 24 Sep 2004)
14.95