The Vermont Monster Guide
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£14.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 6 March 2013
If you're a comic book geek like me (I recently sold my massive Batman collection to finance a trip to Sumatra) you will know Stephen R Bisset as the superb artist on DCs infamous Swamp Thing. And what better artist to illustrate Joseph A Citro's wonderful guide to the monsters of the Green Mountain State. It's not the Congo or the Amazon but Vermont seems to have more than it's share of monsters both historical and modern.
The book is not detailed but it's not meant to be. It very much picture led with Bisset's moody and evocative illustrations. Having said that, the book is no coffee table edition. Much information in here was totally new to me. In focusing on one state Citro can tell stories that a larger book, covering a wider area might miss. And what strange stories they are. Alongside well known monsters such as Champ , thunderbirds, ABCs and Bigfoot you have oddities Pigman of Northfield, a sort of humanoid beast with a pig's head, giant rabbits, a 300 lb leech and a sighting of a creature resembling the Mexican dragon god Quetzalcoatl.
It might be a nice project to create a book like this for each and every state.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again