5.0 out of 5 stars a great book, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: C++ for Game Programmers (Charles River Media Game Development) (Paperback)
To be honest this book wasnt quite what I was expecting, which is down to me for not researching it enough. But on this occasion its a good job I didnt.
I was expecting the book to lead me through some game code and some step-by-step tutorials. but actualy what it does is offer more in the way of advice and explanations for c++ code and design.
I have learnt a lot from the boook, its written in a very nice understandable style. This book has demystified some of the things my other books couldnt.
For example, the book nicely explains when and why you should or shouldnt use inheritence, not just how to code it. I have a much better understanding of c++ now.
highly recommended !

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for gaming concepts, not just for C++ programmers, 27 Sep 2010
This is the first book I've read in the past 14 years as a professional software developer that explains inheritance in plain English! I'm not a C++ programmer, although I do know the basics (my first language was Pascal), but this book is still very good as it explains the concepts more than most other books and these can be applied to other programming languages.

The memory management side of C++ is the biggest setback to the language for me - do we really need to be messing around with this nowadays? Modern computers are a lot more capable than they used to be and other stuff tends to slow them down, rather than memory - apps such as firewalls and anti-virus software running in the background, communicating over the network or internet can be very hit and miss. My current PC has 12Gb of RAM - more than enough for any game on the market - Crysis (PC DVD) recommends 2Gb of RAM running Windows Vista (so about the same for Windows 7) and apparently Crysis 2 (PC DVD) will run on a lower spec. So, like I said, is memory management that important nowadays? I'd rather concentrate on writing a good game, not messing about with memory allocation and stressing about memory leaks.

That aside, I found the chapter on embedded scripting to be most enlightening, so much so that I've ordered a book on Lua (Programming in Lua, Second Edition) and one on Python (Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner)!

One word of warning: Whilst this book is the updated edition from 2006, most of the references are to books from the late 1990s/early 2000s, so it's not as current as other books might be.

C++ for Game Programmers (Charles River Media Game Development)
C++ for Game Programmers (Charles River Media Game Development) by Mike Dickheiser (Paperback - 24 Oct 2006)
31.80