This book is simply great, as stated in the title I think it's one of the most important game programming books out there, but I'll get to that later.

Published on 15 Oct. 2009 by Joe Best

3.0 out of 5 stars A slight disapoinment
I can see this book very useful for novice game programmers but there was not much enlightenment for me, so hence 3 stars
Published 16 months ago by themadme

5.0 out of 5 stars A great intro to multiplayer, one of the best programming books out there, 15 Oct. 2009
Joe Best (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming Mutliplayer FPS Direct X (Charles River Media Game Development) (Paperback)

The book goes through the processes of creating a surprisingly good engine, most importantly it's very modular, and easy to integrate new components. Topics are covered which will serve you well for many other programming projects, such as finite state machines (for things other than AI), linked lists, resource management, and so on.

It's a good idea to be at least a little familiar with Direct3D before reading this book, as the 3D rendering side is pretty detailed, and goes into some really cool techniques like occlusion and octrees. A really handy trick this book teaches is how to use 3DS Max as a level editor.

I'd say this is a very good introduction to multiplayer, it covers DirectPlay pretty well (including critical sections, it's vital to learn about concurrency sooner or later) using the peer to peer model. Once you've got the hang of what's in the book, you can go on to implement a client-server model, client side prediction, lag compensation, and maybe even use sockets instead of DirectPlay.

Finally why I think this is the most important game programming book out there (or at least that I've ever read), it covers the importance of using an iterative/evolving design process. Believe me when I say that is an extremely important lesson to learn, and this is the first game programming book I've found that teaches it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A slight disapoinment, 5 Dec. 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Read and enjoyed the book, 9 Mar. 2011
This book is quite good, I would say that I would recommend it only for a few minor hiccups, one is that it uses a lot of scripts and doesn't show you how to hard code the stuff in, okay this might be okay but it isn't professional, it also uses quite a few cheats by using invisible zones in the 3Ds max editor, okay I don't know much about the game making process and this might be how they do it but I don't know it just doesn't feel like the right way to do it.

And to kind of reject what the other critic says this does not teach how to make an iterative game, okay it uses a .lib instead of building one .exe but .libs are only used at compile time, so it would you would still have to release a new .exe every time you think of adding a new feature (the way to get around this is to create a .dll which included at run time). I tried to get code examples for the DirectPlay for months and couldn't find anything but I would say that this is a good introduction into how it should look I guess, I dove straight into sockets, I lost myself pretty quickly and implementing sockets in this engine is awkward at best because you can't send structs through a socket only string messages.

As I said this is an okay book but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone who is jut starting out, maybe for someone who has a firm grasp on the C++ and some DX code, but then you might be disappointing by the lack of code coding as I was.

Programming Mutliplayer FPS Direct X (Charles River Media Game Development)