5.0 out of 5 stars On Camera Flash
I recently bought the title from Amazon and basically read it in one night!
I have many books on Photography and Photoshop, Lightroom etc.
I have got to compliment Niel on the extremely clear and informative content of the book, just the right balance between over simplified and over complicated, he "nailed it"
Everything in the book was spot on, the...
Published on 22 Nov. 2009 by Phil Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars On Camera Flash
I bought this to read about on camera flash photography as I became interested in a Sony F58AM flash on my Sony A77. I thought I may learn few more tricks to improve my flash photography as the book carries a large number of very positive reviews. Unfortunately the money spent did not return me any helpful new ideas but only some time wasting reading.

My advice...
Published on 21 Jun. 2012 by Bright Lanka

5.0 out of 5 stars On Camera Flash, 22 Nov. 2009
This review is from: On-Camera Flash Techniques for Wedding and Portrait Photography (Paperback)
I recently bought the title from Amazon and basically read it in one night!
I have many books on Photography and Photoshop, Lightroom etc.
Everything in the book was spot on, the photographs perfectly illustrated all of the points and concepts that Niel was attempting to put accross.
As i say i have many photography books on a wide range of photography encompassing all of the disciplines from Landscape to photojournalism to Wedding photography etc, including all styles of writing from the highly techinical, (Charlie Waite, Ansell Adams) to the "recipe" style from (Scot Kelby) to titles from Joe McNally, (like Niel's title biased towards Portrait flash photography), in my humble opinion i think this title is the best in respect of explaining the art of flash photography!
I will deffinitelly be looking for future titles from this talented Photographer.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this book., 22 Oct. 2009
E. Phillips (UK) - See all my reviews
For many photographers, even experienced ones, the use of the speedlight flash gun remains something of a dark art (no pun intended!). Even with the current interest in "strobist" methods; the many choices/combinations of camera and flash modes, and the availability of a plethora of light modifiers and various other accessories suggests that flash photography is just too difficult a subject to conquer. Many will still simply take "pot luck" with the speedlight and hope things turn out OK.

I've read a lot about flash and speedlight photography and can say without hesitation, that this is the pick of the bunch. Written in a very readable style, all the concepts are well illustrated; many with before-and-after examples. I read it cover-to-cover without having to miss out chunks that were "too difficult" or not relevant; like in some other books I have read (and struggled with). This book de-mystifies basic flash photography, and although concentrating on wedding and portrait work, the concepts and techniques are valid (I would suggest), to all.

I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this book. If only he had written it earlier!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for weddings!, 28 Mar. 2010
I. Abraham - See all my reviews
One of the important messages that comes out of this book is that it is possible to light a subject effectively with just one flash. By learning how to bounce flash correctly, combined with the appropriate exposure settings, there is no need for complex lighting set-ups. This book explains clearly when and how to use flash indoors and out, when to use diffusers and bouncecards, and provides lots of images with the relevant settings to show the effects of taking pictures with and without flash. Many of the images are wedding shots, but it is NOT about wedding photography - it's about balancing ambient light with flash, for images of individuals and groups in a range of settings, so that the use of flash not obvious.
I have avoided using flash until now because I've never understood it properly, and I didn't think I had enough gear. But now I am looking forward to using my (solitary) flashgun with confidence!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for any photographer, with no doubt, 17 Oct. 2009
You can really tell a photographer worth his salt when you look at how he uses flash, especially indoors... are there huge shadows behind his subjects, unflattering "deer in the headlights" style stunned faces, complete washed out skintones? If that guy claims to have 30 years experience... then laugh and move on. I've seen sites like that... what they need is this book!

In fact any photographer, new or experienced, would benefit from this book.. except for those crazy "purists" who don't use flash at all... and prefer to fight with uneven shadows and low light!

It's not an easy thing to get right, there are so many gadgets out there that prove it. Although I learned a lot from the authors website, I knew this book would sit well in my reference library and I'm very pleased I bought it. I personally couldn't afford/budget for Neil's workshop when it came to Birmingham and was gutted but really this book is a no brainer.. if you're not making money from photography yet.. learning these techniques will help you master the art of using flash correctly.

I posted this brief comment on DWF forum recently after opening the book the first time:

First impressions, very well laid out, well illustrated ... really it stands out as THE book for anyone needing a flash technique reference.. and that is almost every photographer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic detailed guide to using a flash, 25 Jun. 2010
There are loads of books on lighting out there, but none of them give you the clear guidance that Neil's book does. Other books by pseudo-celebrity photographers have lots of lovely pictures and sometimes fascinating backstories to photos, but they are completely free of useful detail for the person who actually wants to learn from the ground up.

Neil's book is just perfect. He's not using it as a front to showcase his collection of photos - he includes as many (intentionally) "bad" photos as "good" photos so that you can see for yourself the difference between proper flash use and bad flash use. He also includes EXIF and flash data on every single photo so that you know *exactly* how he got certain results.

He covers a wide range of topics - starting with basic flash information, using modifiers, using a flash in tricky situations, using flash outside, bouncing, not bouncing... the list goes on.

Neil makes it all extremely simple to understand, and the way he sets out the various chapters makes it incredibly easy to have your camera and flash handy so that you can experiment for yourself as you read through his teachings.

I've read a few instructional books on flash photography, and this one is far and away superior (and more useful) than the high profile photographers' books on similar topics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Tutorial and Reference, 17 Mar. 2010
S. F. CARTER (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
Having used mainly natural light in my wedding photography, I wondered if there was more I could do - especially in the darkened first dance and so on. Therefore I bought this book looking at the good reviews.

My word, it is absolutely fantastic, not just for wedding/event photography but for everything. So many little "ah! got it!" moments. So many practical tips that you can put straight into practise and see instant, amazing improvement. When it arrived I was a little surprised how thin it was, but those pages are absolutely packed with useful information.

If this book were twice the price, I would still suggest buying it. At the RRP, do not hesitate, even if you only have the slightest interest in flash photography. I wish I had bought and read this book _before_ buying the off-camera cord, the speedlite softbox, the omnibounce diffuser and so on.

Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear Explanations - a revelation!, 10 Mar. 2010
G. Hastie (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I am venturing into wedding photography & portraiture and I wanted to learn more about how to use my flash properly. There are so many things I did not understand before reading this book but now are clear to me - and I am only half way through! Flash synch speed, bouncing flash, obtaining more flattering light on faces, high speed flash synch, balancing flash with ambient light - all of these I have a much better grasp of thanks to Neil's explanations and examples (with all the settings listed). I can't wait to read the rest of the book and then I will re-read it as there is so much useful knowledge to be gained. If you think you are doing well because you have bought a diffuser and you bounce your flash off the ceiling at 45 degs then you need to read this to see how you should really be getting far more creative. To sum up, this book has been a revelation for me. Apart from explaining many things I was confused about, it has already made me analyse what I am photographing and more importantly the ambient light/flash combination.

I have many photograhpy books but this is the best I have read. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Demystifys flash..., 16 Dec. 2009
Excellant book - used some of the techniques described during a quiet moment at a wedding (are there any ?) and they produced a great set of pictures. In particular the outside night technique is very good. I also used his "black foamy thing" which seemed to work well - even if the SB900 went into overtime and switched itself off !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and invaluable!, 12 Mar. 2010
Mr. R. How "Russell How" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is without doubt the best wedding photography book I own. If you ever have cause to use on camera TTL flash then this is a must read. I've always thought on camera flash was pretty naff and got stuck in the 'just pop a diffuser on' trap. I read this through twice before my last wedding and it's honestly transformed the way I shoot - I'm really confident now that when extra light is required, you can in fact get excellent results with on camera TTL flash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to get to grips with on-camera flash? BUY THIS NOW!, 3 Jun. 2010
Simon Buck - See all my reviews
Bought this on recommendation from a internationally respected and decorated photographer friend. I'm always sceptical about the validity of so-called "professional" texts regarding photography techniques. There's a slew of publications aimed at the lucrative "pro' " market that promise much but deliver little more than being a showcase/soapbox for the author. This is no such book - IT IS FANTASTIC! Neil van Niekirk is considered a world authority on the subject and writes clearly and concisely on a subject that baffles many amateurs and professionals alike. If you're having trouble getting to grips with your flash technique this is an invaluable guide that, when used as a practice manual, will help improve your work immeasurably. Thank you Neil!

On-Camera Flash Techniques for Wedding and Portrait Photography
On-Camera Flash Techniques for Wedding and Portrait Photography by Neil van Niekerk (Paperback - 10 Sept. 2009)
Used & New from: £14.89