4.0 out of 5 stars It's at 12.00 am
I enjoyed this book but I expected it to be funnier, May be our sense of humour is far different to the Americans. Having been on a number of cruises I recognise so many of the happenings. Would I recommend it Yes most certainly..
Published on 5 July 2010 by wolfy

1.0 out of 5 stars Glad I only paid a pound
Published 10 months ago by K. Isherwood

1.0 out of 5 stars Glad I only paid a pound, 19 Aug 2013
K. Isherwood "Not Likely" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
After reading the reviews, I thought that this would be at least vaguely funny. Alas, no. This reads like a personal diary and was a physical effort to pursue to conclusion. The only benefit of the writing is that the author signposts the 'hilarious' incidents, that were otherwise unidentifiable from the rest of the text. Maybe it is a cultural thing, and American readers will find the book truly amusing. But not I.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's at 12.00 am, 5 July 2010
This review is from: What Time Is the Midnight Buffet?: Tales from the Cruise Adventure of a Lifetime (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars A cheerful read, 25 April 2012
EssexReader (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is basically a cruise diary of a week on board a Caribbean cruise on a US cruise ship. It was interesting to compare experiences of US and our UK cruise ships but there was a little bit too much unnecessary detail at times, particularly on the excursions - I didn't really need to know that he turned left down a particular street and I found myself skim reading through these. A cheerful and interesting read though. If you're a first time cruiser then some of the information may be helpful as some aspects are virtually the same on both UK and US ships, however be mindful that the book was written in 2005 so some of the benefits mentioned may not now be relevant - industry cutbacks! However if you're not interested in cruising then probably not the book for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Read, 28 Feb 2012
This was an entertaining and very easy book to read.As a cruiser it revived memories of past cruises. For anyone new to cruising it gives a good insight as to what to expect,although being american some things are slightly different.If you want a taste of life at sea give it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 9 Feb 2010
Helen Millward (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my Dad who is going on his first cruise this year. He said that it is a very amusing read with some helpful tips. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading especially on a cold winters night, 12 Feb 2014
This book made me laugh. I was right back on a cruise ship although it is a while since we were in the Caribbean - can't wait to book another.

2.0 out of 5 stars A fairly dull travelogue of someone's vacation..., 17 Oct 2013
If you're expecting any deep insights into cruising, step away from your kindle and look elsewhere. This is just a travelogue report of a fairly dull and uneventful holiday. No secrets or hints and tips about the ship. No comparison between the lines. Just an insight into someone's holiday. If as the title says, it contains "tales from the cruise adventure of a lifetime", I just hope that if I take another cruise, it's more exciting and interesting than this.

Having said that, I'm being rude and churlish - which the author doesn't warrant. I read the hundred pages or so in a couple of hours, and it left me with a firm impression. The author and his wife loved their cruise, and cared enough to write a review of it in the form of a book. Based on its contents, I'd consider travelling with Celebrity X. Their staff were good, and the service that they received was apparently excellent. Maybe next time, I should write a self published book too...only I doubt that some of the other lines would gain such high marks...

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and informative, 30 Aug 2013
I just couldn't stop reading this delightful book. Thanks for making me laugh. I hope that my experience of cruising will be as good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction, 16 July 2013
A good introduction to cruise life life but a little to excessive advertisement for the cruise line.Did they get a good discount on their next trip?

4.0 out of 5 stars Made me Laugh, 16 Jun 2013
From the moment I started reading this book I knew I was going to enjoy it. The authors hesitant cruise booking, his trip to the infirmary and all the on shore adventures I enjoyed the lot. Well worth a read.

4.80