5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, especially for vegan newbies or wannabes
Published 4 months ago by lovetocook

3.0 out of 5 stars Had higher hopes
I ordered this book and awaited its arrival with great excitement. Having received it and spent some time looking through it, I'm feeling deflated. It's okay.

Published 3 months ago by J. Summerfield

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, especially for vegan newbies or wannabes, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out (Paperback)
I am not vegan, but as of recently I try to change my diet to plant- based. Being a newbie I am often unsure how to use and prepare ingredients which I can find in my local whole foods store. This book is invaluable when it comes to explaining how various ingredients can be used and added to our daily diet. The first chapter is titled "my natural food pantry" and here the Author outlines what she uses and how. I find it to be a great reference on what to buy and keep in my own cupboards.
Following the pantry chapter, the book is divided into the following sections:
-Favourite kitchen tools and equipment- this is the only chapter which I found redundant. I really don't see how it is useful to know which gadgets Author is using. It should be mentioned however that most recipes in this book call for a blender or food processor.
-breakfast- just brilliant, whether you are vegan or not. So varied and so very healthy.
- smoothies, juices and tea- recipes for green smoothies are particularly interesting ( the 'glow' factor)
- appetizers- have not made anything from this chapter yet. Some dips, spreads and pestos in there, overall looks like a good selection of healthy snacks
- salads- very impressive, there are many salads which seem like refreshingly new ingredient combinations, but winners are the dressings ( lemon- tahini, sweet apple, avocado- dill....)
- soup- good, varied selection. These are all full, hearty meals.
- entrees- not sure why it's titled as entrees- there are lots of wonderful recipes here for complete meals ( chana masala, veggie burgers, walnut and lentil loaf, broccoli and quinoa burritos...)
- sides- this chapter is perhaps a little lacking- roasted veg mostly, but few good ideas nonetheless (
- power snacks- excellent recipes for healthy snacks. The classic glo- bars ( nutrient loaded cereal bars) are just fantastic
-desserts- I like my desserts Nigella style- decadent, sweet and far from moderate. I think this chapter offers great ideas for desserts which are just as lavish, but still reasonably healthy ( caramel made from medjool dates and peanut butter is amazing)
- homemade staples- excellent resource for those who want to make their own vegan ingredients and condiments ( e.g. Almond milk, cashew cream, grapeseed mayonnaise, chia seed jam, pumpkin butter...)
I recommend this book to those who are looking to eat less or stop eating animal based products but are not sure how to start and for those who are looking for interesting, healthy recipes. I think this book balances nicely the trend for meat replacement in traditional dishes ( i.e. Burgers, burritos) with the ultra healthy whole foods eating (i.e. sprinkling chia and hemp seeds on everything). Above all, it's packed with healthy, interesting and balanced recipes. All recipes are accompanied by pictures, short introduction, valuable cooking, serving or replacement tips and detailed step- by- step instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! versatile and interesting, practical recipes and lovely pictures., 27 Mar 2014
I first got into Angela's food from her blog when I was newly vegan. It really helped me and I found that I was able to not feel deprived.in fact quite the opposite I started finding delicious new healthy foods that I never even heard of before. If it hadn't been for Angela's recipes I may have given it up a long time ago.

This book is wonderful. In most cook books I only come away with one or two recipes, sometimes none, that then become staple recipes I use again and again. In this book I have found loads that I know I will use regularly. The chia seed and berry Jam recipe is great and has the added benefit of being much healthier, nutrient and protein rich than normal jam. I have started using that jam in my sons packed lunch, happy in the knowledge that he is getting fruit, iron,omega 3, protein and fibre from his sandwich filling alone! I'm making the avocado spaghetti tonight and my mushroom loving mum will love the mushroom gravy on mashed potato. There are recipes in this book for all tastes and skill levels. The book has lovely pictures of every recipe and simple instructions. It looks modern and interesting. The only slight dissapointment was the rather boring front cover. Well worth the price!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Had higher hopes, 15 April 2014

There are a few interesting recipes amongst a few unexceptional/uninspired ones. She’s not a master chef by any stretch, I’d say she’s just a good blogger who enjoys vegan food. Some of the recipes aren’t really that healthy either. Also there aren’t many main course options.

There are some very clever recipes around for plant-based vegan, gluten-free meals, freely available on the internet. Out of hundreds or thousands of those recipes you’ll find dozens that are really very clever and you’ll want to make them right away. There’s MAYBE a handful of “ooh I’ll make that one!” recipes in this book.

If you’ve got spare money and space for a cookbook just so you have the convenience of not having to get a few recipes online, go for it. For me it didn’t quite tip the balance so I shall be returning it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 15 Mar 2014
Sigrid Holth (Bergen, Norway) - See all my reviews
Definitely become my go-to cookbook! Everyone should try her bircher muesli, the fudgy chocolate cake, the festive kale salad, and the chia parfait! Angela, you have outdone yourself with this book. My hat goes off to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 14 Mar 2014
Love, love, love this cookery book, every recipe I have made has been great, easy and tasty, my family also agree. I am not a vegan, but I don't eat a lot of meat, I am slowly moving to a more vegetarian approach to my eating and I like to clean fresh approach to Angela's recipes. A wonderful book to add to any collection, whether or not your a vegan,vegetarian or a meat eater, its a great book to get you started on a healthy eating plan.
Greatly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great whole foods based vegan cookbook., 24 Mar 2014
I recently found Angela's blog and I enjoy each and every single entry. I couldn't wait for the cookbook to arrive and it had me running out to order a glut of different seeds. First off, it is absolutely beautiful, and kudos to Angela for doing the photography - it is stunning.
Recipe-wise, all the things I've tried so far - vegan overnight oats, morning glory (tehe) smoothie and the super power chia bread, chickpea-salad sandwich filling - have all been delicious. The other recipes I have bookmarked to try are - oil-free baked falafel, her take on hummus, ALL the soups, ALL the entrees and of course those desserts! Fudgy mocha pudding or brownies anyone?!
I like the fact that no fake meat is used, and I think fake cheese is only used once (and easily skipped) in the tex mex casserole, because I find those ingredients difficult to find where I live, and I want my veg/vegan food to be whole foods based. Her ingenuity in using these whole foods ingredients to create treats such as creamy sauces (cashew nuts and avocados), pestos (nuts/seeds) and vegan rolos (dates) is excellent, as well as crafting delicious desserts as a lot of people find the idea of tasty vegan desserts impossible (it's always great to prove them wrong!).
As another review pointed out, the sides section is a little brief (recipes still sound amazing), perhaps these could've been integrated with the entree section, with each side following a main it would pair well with. I do like the inclusion of the staples section, for example how to make your own almond milk, whipped cream from coconut milk etc, but as with the sides maybe these could have also been integrated elsewhere. One issue for me personally is that there is some variability in serving sizes so be sure to double check those, for example some recipes serve 3 which seems a little bizaare but I concede it is great for single person homes, just not so good for a greedy couple (I think these may only make 1 meal for us, heh). Since these last 2 points are down to my personal preference I won't deduct any stars, because I don't think it detracts from this top rating book.
Just a few points that may annoy some people out there, for one example the inclusion of a green tea recipe may seem like "filler" to some, but I'd never thought of including freshly squeezed juice in my green tea and I will be trying it out. Also, some of the cynics out there may not like the "hippy" names of things for example life affirming warm nacho dip, but from reading the blog I know that that is just Angela's personality shining through.

All in all, this is a great whole foods, vegan cookbook and I can see it becoming an every day staple in my kitchen along with my faithful tomes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and the veg cookbook by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall! Some ingredients may be hard to come by, but I found them all on Amazon (with free shipping!), and most recipes can be thrown together in next to no time (with any long nut/bean soaking steps clearly noted) so there's really no excuse!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh she glows!, 27 May 2014
An amazing recipe collection & the first time I've read a cookery book from cover to cover instead of dipping into the recipes I'm interested in. The author has covered everything, larder stocking & ingredient explainations; delicious looking images for every recipe so you can see what it should look like; notes to adapt the recipes for specific diets (gluten free or soya free or dairy free); notes on how long you can keep some of the meals/componants in the fridge/freezer...

I think what I love best is that the recipes & ingredients are easily available, there's no complicated processes involved, & it's all wholesome, real food that your body's going love! Angela Liddons personal story is one of real problems with food in the past, its associations & an eating disorder - that she has been able to fully recover & publish this delicious recipe collection that targets every aspect of nutrition is amazing. Whether you're vegan, coeliac or looking for healthy recipes buy this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter book, 28 April 2014
I don't know where I heard about this book, but it was pre-ordered on a whim; I'd never even heard of the blog. I've been a vegetarian in the past, and have always eaten a low-meat diet anyway, but I'd been toying with the idea of returning to vegetarianism, and maybe going further by going vegan. A book a friend recommended convinced me about going vegan, but the recipes left me disappointed. Many of them contained foods I either don't like as the main component, ingredients that are difficult to come by in the UK, or were just meat recipes made vegan.

What I really like about this book is that it isn't reliant on making vegan versions of meat-based dishes. Very few of the recipes contain meat substitutes. Yes, some of the recipes are quite basic, but that's no bad thing really. I'd say I've earmarked 90% of the recipes as potentials, and of the half dozen or so I've made so far, they've all been outstanding and meat-eaters have enjoyed them.

This book is great for either getting started with a vegetarian/vegan diet if you're not looking to simply replace your meat-based recipes with meat substitutes or for adding in some different veg dishes to your repertoire. The ingredients used are generally easy to come by, even in the north of England, and the recipes are easy to follow and tasty.

My only complaint is that whomever did the conversions to metric measures doesn't seem to understand that everything isn't measured in mL, only liquids, so things like flours are shown in American cups and mL. Luckily I have a set of American measuring cups so it all works out, but I wish more care had been taken in doing metric conversions. Other American-based cookbooks I've bought that have also had metric measures have been done well so this was a disappointment with this book.

This book is definitely worth a look regardless of whether you want to go vegetarian

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cookbook, 14 Mar 2014
Just received this a few days ago so have only had a chance to make 3-4 things. All have been easy to make and absolutely delicious. The book is worth purchasing for the Apple Pie Oatmeal recipe alone. The book is beautifully presented, lots of photographs, all the recipes sound amazing and it has the added bonus of Angela's comments being very funny as well.

I have tons of wonderful vegan cookbooks (though i am not 100% vegan) but this is well on it's way to being my favourite already.

Oh, and if you haven't already done so, check out Angela's fabulous and inspiring blog.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 18 April 2014
I've been a on and off vegan for a few years. Got a few cook books. And I've seen a lot of online. But this cook is amazing. She introduces herself and gives her back ground about her eating disorder and found that Being vegan really helped heal her body and mind. I could really relate to her synopsis. The recipes are so easy. And yummy. I've just done my shopping. Using this book. For both me and my daughter. And my shopping was only 85. Which I think is good value for today's economy, especially as its all good wholesome food. Which is also very yummy. Excellent buy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›