on 5 May 2007
I tried macrobiotics before. I bought a book 10 years ago and half way I decided, that this was far to complicated. In my search for keeping my health after 35 - and yes, weight loss! - I came across Jessica Porter's book.

Why did I buy it? Well, I liked the cover and the title, so why not.

I received it and I couldn't stop reading it, at first mainly because it was so funny and entertaining. After reading it even my old book made more sense.

Few months `in the program' I feel great, healthy and I even lost weight. I can easily plan and prepare my meals few days in advance, which saves me a lot of time and prevents wasting my calories on fast food when it takes to long to prepare a healthy option during or after a long working day.

Thanks, Jessica!
on 9 September 2008
I was compelled to write this review to celebrate Jessica Porter's presentation of Macrobiotics. I really appreciate the way she hands over the responsibility to the reader. Porter explains that the real route to understanding how to eat well, is to feel the impact of various foods in your body. Presented alongside the framework of the traditional Macrobitic diet, this message is driven home with intelligently and wittily written events based on Porter's own experience.

Despite the outwardly, and, I have to say, initially slightly off putting chick-friendliness of this book, it is actually the most poignant and effective introductions to the power of the Macrobiotic way. No preaching, no dogma, no wholemeal boredom. Writers of other books on Macrobiotics could learn much from Porter's fluid approach to food and life. And her sound advice is not just for girls. Simon G Brown et. al. take note. De-yangify yourself. Loosen up. Free yourself from the tyranny of prescription, as you open yourself to the non-duality deep at the heart of life, a realisation of which is accessible via Porter's excellent book.
on 8 October 2004
Jessica Porter manages to present the theory of macrobiotics in a fun, joyful way. The book is superbly organised and the recipes are interesting and easy to follow. I really enjoyed the humour in this book. I found myself eagerly reading chapter after chapter and laughing out-loud throughout.
For some time now, I have labelled macrobiotics as a "healing diet" that we would adopt if we needed. Having read the "Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics", I now realise that the benefits of macrobiotics are much wider and that implementing macrobiotics into everyday life is simpler than I expected. We have already begun to make changes to the way in which our family [incl. 3 young children] eat... and it is fun!
The book is a very unusual mix of theory, practical advice and recipes. If you get a chance, read it. You will enjoy it.
on 14 June 2010
I originally borrowed this book from a friend. Loved it so much decided to buy my own copy. Easy to read, great recipes - ideal for those who are thinking of trying macro for the first time.
on 30 October 2015
Though some interesting content, the tone of the book was a bit too gushy for me. But maybe I should have guessed the tone from the "Hip Chick" title. Its a shame, as there is some real content here for people who don't know much about macrobiotics.

I also found the book somewhat chaotic, making it difficult to digest. Paragraphs jump around from subject to subject sometimes unrelated. In her credits, she thanks Gwynth Paltorw and Madonna for making he see that "this stuff is cooler than I thought" and also thanks those who have helped her "birth this sucker". Its just too wordy for me overall.

If you find this style of writing OK, you may like it. But for me it got in the way, unfortunately obscuring the more valuable and interesting ideas in the book.
This book tells the story of macrobiotics from when it began to modern day. It explains diet, mind and body.It includes recipes and diet plans. There is also a website that you can sign up to to get regular updates ect, and help you along.
on 17 July 2014
Good book with loads of nice recipes. The only down side is that, in my opinion, Jessica does not follow Oshawa's principles. Oshawa was the founder of Macrobiotics.
on 7 October 2004
The author, Jessica Porter, presents the theory of macrobiotics in a fun, joyful way. The book is superbly organised and the recipes are interesting and easy to follow. Perhaps the most unusual part of the book is its humour. I found myself eagerly reading chapter after chapter and laughing throughout. This book is great fun to read.
For some time now, I have labelled macrobiotics as a "healing diet" that we would adopt if needed. Having read the "Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics", I now realise that the benefits of macrobiotics are much wider and that implementing macrobiotics into everyday life is simpler than I expected. We have already begun to make changes to the way in which our family [incl. 3 young children] eat... and it is fun!
If you are interested in your health, you will enjoy reading this book.
on 21 September 2015
this book really does look into the philosophy of macrobiotics with a lot of back ground/history and thought as to why this way of eating works
there aren't any pictures that go with the recipes so doesn't make you instantly want to dive in and try them out
but it is worth a read,even just to gain another perspective
it tells you why you should eat certain foods and why you shouldn't eat others which actually makes sense in anyone's diet
i would say this book is good for someone who wants to really delve into the reasons behind the diet,for recipes I would try somewhere else
on 2 January 2011
What a great vibey intro to Macrobiotics - very happy I bought this book. I have a few now, but this is by far my favourite. Go Jessica!