5.0 out of 5 stars probably the best writers book I have read..., 11 Oct 2008
T. Horton "Mrs T" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your First Novel: 1 (Paperback)
...as a budding author I've read a few help books on how to write a first novel, and although some of them rehashed the same old set of rules and tips, I found this one very refreshing. The sections were fun to read, very useful with a couple of wise words that have made me rewrite sections, which are much better for it. I sometimes think buying books on writing are very much like taking writing classes, you can learn some elements but in the end talent and an element of 'write place write time' - excuse the pun - means you become published but have to say if I was going to buy one book as a new writer hoping to be published this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice for both beginners and fledgling novelists., 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Your First Novel: 1 (Paperback)
I'd already written the first draft of my novel when I came to this book, eager for more after Whitcomb's NOVEL SHORTCUTS improved my writing.
The first half is written by Laura Whitcomb, in the same evocative style as her novels. It's a pleasure to read, covering every stage from `listening for the idea', to structuring your story and how to write vivid prose. The process of self-editing is explained with `before' and `after' examples.

Literary agent Ann Rittenberg provides the view from the other side of the desk in Part two. Gaining an understanding of what agents do, and the realities of the publishing business, is vital for any author seeking publication. I found the chapters `Before you submit your manuscript' and `Query letter Babylon' particularly enlightening. The first helps you assess whether your novel really is ready to be seen: as a fledgling novelist it's so easy to get this wrong and send out work convinced that it's ready when really it would have benefited from further polishing. `Query letter Babylon' gives examples of letters that don't work, and teaches you how to write one which does.

Although aimed at first time novelists, this book contains excellent advice for any writer.

Your First Novel: 1
Your First Novel: 1 by Laura Whitcomb (Paperback - 25 Feb 2007)
12.51