5.0 out of 5 stars Making writing fun again
I was disappointed to see that this had no reviews, as it almost stopped me buying a copy. So I'm writing one here because I'm so glad I did .
To put it into perspective, I bought this book along with "The 3am Epiphany", "The Pocket Muse" and "What if?" as a collection of exercise books to get me started again. This is by far my favourite.
You never face a...
Published on 9 Feb. 2009 by Mr. Sw Dewey

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but...
Published on 13 Jan. 2011 by Mojodo

5.0 out of 5 stars Making writing fun again, 9 Feb. 2009
Mr. Sw Dewey "reader writer" (derby, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Write Brain Workbook: 366 Exercises to Liberate Your Writing (Paperback)
You never face a blank page. You are always greeted with an image, a collection of words, or both. You are encouraged to write in the book, often filling in shapes or writing between images or words like a dot-to-dot puzzle. This gives the book the feeling of a colouring in book. It's always fun to try and sometimes you end up with something you want to develop further. Which is why i love it so much; it clears writers block whilst letting you enjoy yourself. By comparison the other books I purchased feel a bit stodgy by comparison, although I am sure I will return to them once in the creative flow again.
Buy it for yourself and then buy one for your friends too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but..., 13 Jan. 2011
Mojodo (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm quite disappointed by this book. After such positive reviews (and the book's own bold claims), I felt sure The Write-Brain Worbook would offer lots of new ideas and approaches to creative writing. It does have a few good and novel exercises but it quickly becomes quite repetitious, using the same ideas again and again until they frankly lose their originality. It also relies an awful lot for impact on page layout and typogrpahical gimmickry which looks fun but doesn't,to my mind, add much of value to anyone taking their writing seriously. Many of the pages don't really leave enough room for the writing they are supposed to inspire and contain.

The book doesn't really go beyong providing basic writing prompts. Although the blurb claims you can "APPLY THE BREAKTHROUGHS FROM DAILY PRACTICE TO YOUR 'REAL' WRITING" it doesn't provide much in the way of the guidance, advice or support that would make that outome more likely. I think a "workbook" should allow for progression in a way that this really doesn't. This is more of a doodle pad really,which provides some fun and occasional inspiration but doesn't really help an aspiring writer to develop other than by trial and error, which requires analytical and self-critical faculties which the book really eschews.

However, my big beef is that the book is not well made and is therefore not really fit for purpose. The spine began to crumble in my copy after a few weeks and several pages quickly became detached.That was without my ever having written directly into the book and I imagine the process of disintegration would be accelerated by using it in the manner for which it was actually designed.

For someone new to creative writing looking for an amusing and unchallenging starting point, I think the book would be fine... providing they don't put it in a bag and carry it about! Left on a desk and treated very gently, the book just might last long enough to get through all the exercises!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not a blank page, 19 Nov. 2009
I often find it hard to get myself sat down and started. Once started, writing is as natural as breathing. This book is brilliant, like a cross between a scrap and colouring book. No page is laid out the same (a visual feast) and the exercises are about half an hour each. One for each day of the year.

If you're looking for story ideas, this book does have story prompts, but they're just a bit of fun. It's a great book to get you in a creative mood. For example, one exercise asks you to write down something you'd buy at the bakery, a smell from a museum, an expression that is overused (and much more) and then asks you to use these things in a piece starting with "the music was loud...", one page has lines for writing and an occaisional symbol (like a spider or a bike) that you have to incorporate into the text as you come to it. As I said, great to get you into the writing mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts the joy back into getting started!, 23 Mar. 2010
kiclarkey (Biddulph, UK) - See all my reviews
Love this book. I want to write, have many books to help me, find it hard to get started. I've had this book a week and now look forward every day to my writing time. The exercises are fairly random, very involving and you can't get them wrong. Whatever comes into your head from the title - just stick it down on the page. I find it liberating and am starting to feel less fearful when moving onto my "proper" writing afterwards. The book gives me the confidence just to dive in. After years of blank pages and fear and wanting to write - wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for writers of all ages and skill level, 6 Dec. 2009
A. Wadey - See all my reviews
This book is absolutely perfect for creative writers of any skill level. Beautifully illustrated throughout, it provides a fun way to get the creative juices flowing. The exercises are very different to any I have come across before and so offer a completely new approach to writing which can prove very helpful if you find yourself with writers block.

With so many similar types of books out there, it's sometimes difficult to know where to start, but am so glad that I chose this one.

This book is well worth buying, excellent value for money and I recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous book to get you writing!, 14 Jan. 2010
Elizabeth Shaw (Valencia, Spain) - See all my reviews
I bought this book in the hope that it would inspire me to start writing and I wasn't disappointed. This book is bursting full of excellent ideas and is so well-illustrated that you won't want to write in it. It really is a wonderful book! I'll definitely be buying this for friends for birthdays or Christmas presents.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant fun, 13 April 2010
i have no intention of trying to be a writer and have never thought of myself as creative, but i'm having a great time among the pages of this book!
i'd recommend it to anyone who can physically write, whether or not they feel that they are creative.

it's fun!*!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - keep this one with you at ALL times!, 25 April 2010
A fantastic collection of writing exercises to get you writing, and keep you writing.

Even if you have no difficulty putting pen to paper, this book is worth owning, just for the fun activities it contains - it will certainly be travelling with me from now on - I can't think of a better way to kill time whilst flying than to work through a few of the exercises in this book.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Dec. 2009
No more writers block! I write memoirs and like to journal but even though this is probably more aimed at creative writers I found it useful to kick start me sometimes with ideas. A fun book that is full of inspiration. Would highly recommend to anyone - a writer or not

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, and great boost for creativity and imagination!, 6 May 2010
H. Nye "han3617" (UK) - See all my reviews
Despite the glowing reviews, I couldn't quite make my mind up about buying this book as I'm one of those people who likes to look inside to get the 'feel' of a book before buying. Then, during one of my many impulsive moments, I ordered it anyway.

Given the old adage "A picture paints a thousand words", I have uploaded a few photos of random pages in the book. Each page is a single exercise, is in full colour, and is covered with illustrations and words to get you started. There is no Table of Contents, so each new exercise (one per day, if that is how you choose to use it) comes as a surprise. I have felt an urge to write for years, but have never really known WHAT I wanted to write and have kept telling myself that I probably wouldn't be any good at it anyway - but with this lovely book it would be hard not to be creative and imaginative if you just sit down with it, put any doubts aside, and start writing!

Only one problem with my new book - I am now having to order another copy, becasue I know that as soon as my teenage daughter gets home from school, she will want it!

The Write Brain Workbook: 366 Exercises to Liberate Your Writing
The Write Brain Workbook: 366 Exercises to Liberate Your Writing by Bonnie Neubauer (Paperback - 24 Feb. 2006)