on 20 February 2010
I have a quite military approach towards the study of creative writing: reading, taking notes, reading the notes, trying to apply what I've learnt; so when I turned the first pages of this book I thought: here comes something nice but useless. But no! The book gave me plenty of smiles, and plenty of useful hints; it reminded me what is needed to be a writer and made me feel more free and self-confident, which is much more than I expected.
on 25 May 2009
There are a lot of creative writing manuals available, and many teach the technicalities of grammar, style or theme, and while a lot of these do include exercises designed to get the creative juices going, few succeed as well as this book. Full of photographs to kickstart the imagination, as well as inspirational anecdotes, story ideas or 'fill in the blank' exercises, it's possible to follow them chronologically, as part of a homespun writing course, or you can dip in and out, opening the book at random and using the suggestion or photo as a starting point for that day's work. I think all writers, both experienced and otherwise, should own this book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 November 2013
You know the moment - you want to write something and your mind turns to sludge. What do I write, where do I start?

You start with this book.

Packed full of inspirational imagery and ideas this book is designed to dip into, do an exercise and kick start your writing all in one hit. Having read and used Making Money Writing Letters to Magazines by T J Rush, I had become tired of writing to magazines and wanted something less formulaic that would also earn me some money, and this was short stories. But where to start? This book helps you get an idea and from that you can either expand on it or do as I did and go in an altogether new direction.

Quick and easy to use, it is a great book for those times when you just need ..... a muse....
on 18 July 2008
I was looking for inspiration (as in story ideas) when I stumbled across this book. I read it in one go and immediately ordered the second volume, not because it gave me many ideas, but because it contains some creative jewels. The style tips alone are worth the money.

I only wish it had a categorised index so you could look up things without having to go through the whole book.
on 3 March 2010
I simply cannot praise this book enough! It is very, very beautiful and provides endless inspiration to kick-start a writing session. Helpful to anybody, whether an established writer or a total newbie. Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature gives you a good idea of the content of the book. It's very varied and there is bound to be something to inspire, whatever the mood. I like to open it on any page and just get going.

I'll be purchasing the second one soon!
on 15 September 2009
A good book. It makes you think and has visual prompts to assist the written. It encourages you to dip in, but without a contents or index you do wonder if you've missed pages out and you sometimes pick up the same page again. I think I would now work my way through from front to back to make sure. Some good ideas and interesting advice. Glad I bought it.
on 22 February 2010
Eversince I bough this book, it has never left my side. It has so many nuggets of wisdom about the craft of writing. Once you pause to think, you get so many ideas of what and how to write. A life saver when you're stuck in a rut. This truly is a gem of a book!
on 1 February 2013
This little product is great it fits just inside my coat pocket allowing me to take it everywhere. The pages inside consists of different images with captions, exercises. I got it for Christmas and haven't stopped flicking, this book is something which you have on your desk and gives you that quick inspiration to get you out of those puzzling moments where you can't think of anything helpful. Just a warning this isn't a book for reading or a guide in helping you learn something new its just there to help turn the on switch of the creativity of the brain. I recommend it for anyone who enjoy writing or having to use words in a creative way.
on 24 November 2013
I bought this book for my son who is currently doing a creative writing course. Looking through the well chosen quotes, pictures and photos, all chosen to inspire writers, I absolutely coveted it myself. I'll be buying one as well or maybe the second one , just so I can look at both. A really unusual but truly inspiring resource for those trying to write!
on 24 May 2013
I bought this book as a gift for a friend who loves to write but never seems to finish a book cover to cover. She says it has inspired her and when she loses focus she can open the book at any point and find inspiration. She says it is one of the best gifts she has ever received and as it is easy to fit in a handbag she is never without it.