5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, detailed - great book
I bought four books of this series and found this one of the most useful ones; it's very practical and helps to become more aware of the mechanics of storywriting. For me it's something to take in, think about, and then let go to the back of my mind - writing with this book constantly next to you is probably not going to work out so well.

This book does not...
Published on 8 Oct 2008 by Arwen Bijker

3.0 out of 5 stars quick delivery
A good read and very interesting. My daughter loved this book as she hopes to be a writer some day.
Published 3 months ago by Jill

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, detailed - great book, 8 Oct 2008
This review is from: Write Great Fiction - Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints (Paperback)

This book does not focus on getting a novel published, which I found pleasant (some of the others in the series do do this, and I find it a bit paralysing to think of that while I'm writing) but just on crafting a good story. One thing I would like to see different is exercises that are more open to the idea that the reader already has a story going on. Many of the exercises are about analysing published books, and I would like a little more working with an existing (or growing) story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Place to Start, 20 Feb 2012
Greg Scowen "Author of The Spanish Helmet" (New Zealand/Switzerland) - See all my reviews
I bought a copy of Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint very early into my writing career. I had a story I wanted to tell but no idea how one actually goes about doing it. Certainly, I had left high school with the feeling that I didn't have an artistic bone in my body. The whole Write Great Fiction series came to my rescue.

In this title, an author learns through example. The book is full of great tips, backgrounds on rules and why they are so, and examples of poor writing alongside improved versions to illustrate what you can achieve and how.

I would recommend these books to anyone who is embarking on a writing career and want straight to the point advice without all the fluff and nonsense that a lot of courses or books offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and usefull tool for beginner, 28 Jun 2009
Angelina "Angy" (Amsterdam, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I wanted to say THANK you to the author of this book for brilliant job!
I am as a beginner in fiction writing use this wonderful tool to craft my first character. It was hard for me to understand where to begin and what to do. This book gives a complete layout and important point to consider while creating character. Exercises after each chapter let me practice theory and gave a lot of new ideas. It is a truly inspirational book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, Informative, Analytical., 14 Aug 2011
I found this book very helpful, not only in how to develop good and strong characters and what potential pitfalls to avoid, but also in understanding the somewhat complex notion of viewpoints and the advantages and disadvantages of 1st and 3rd person perspectives.

Nancy Kress uses a huge wealth and variety of novels, including quotations with subsequent analysis, to illustrate the points she is trying to make. Through this she very effectively and clearly demonstrates what she means and for me was easy to understand.

Finally the writing style of this book is very down to earth. Often times I found myself laughing and chuckling at the light humour included, which is appreciated and made the whole book an enjoyable read from cover to cover. As my university tutor once told me, if you are enjoying something and laughing you will better absorb and process the information given.

Reading the book felt like having a rewarding conversation with a friend, a testament to the style of writing and the quality of information provided. Would recommend in a heartbeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, if you are an anspiring author, 10 April 2009
This is a superb set of books for the aspiring author, written not just in an informative way, but also fun to read and the content easy to remember. The book teaches all you need to know to start or improve your writing, with plenty of examples to illustrate each concept. You won't find any pompous tuition or comments in these books, the text is intended for your benefit, and not for the author to show off. In that respect it doesn't matter if this is the first time you are trying to write anything, or you just want to improve on your past experience. And apart from teaching prose, I find these books packed with many fascinating insights into humanity and the way people interact with each other, and also the world around them. Another good point is that the chapters are long enough to make a point, but not long enough to bore the pants off you. As I said, the text is written for 'you,' and to encourage you. It certainly encourages me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped a great deal with developing my characters, 19 July 2013
Very good read and helped me a great deal in developing my characters etc. you will probably need to read more books on this subject for greater detail but for anyone new to writing novels and short stories this is a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 12 Jan 2013
Nancy Kress is an excellent communicator.
Having missed an opportunity to join a writing course this winter, I ordered several books from the Write Great Fiction series to support my attempt to write my first novel. This is one of the best, in my opinion. The writer's experience, her unstuffy style and forensic attention to detail make this a genuinely enjoyable and informative read. C,E&V will make a great reference tool and I look forward to reading more by the same author.

3.0 out of 5 stars quick delivery, 14 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 7 May 2014
loved it, loved, it, loved it. when it comes to expressing viewpoints and learning how to do it without a load of waffle, this is the book to get. You need to explain things in a direct mannor to your readers and not loose their interest and keep them interested in your character and whats going on around them. It explains how different characters respond under stress or anger and you get to be able to understand when you read passages from the book how you can learn to project what you want to your pages. Yes, definatly get the book, it helps me when i need to express something that maybe i'm finding difficult but once i've refered back to it - it gives me a chance to see what ive put and make things more believable and in tune with the characters. Definatly get this if anyone is debating whether to or not because this helps you build your character and how they think and feel before they start intereacting with others... and also it helps gives you the confidence to embrace a situation where you try to write maybe an emotional or difficult scene or part of your story - because some writers dont have that confidence to be able to explore into it very much because it is dificult to do and will shy away from it - but embrace into it instead... this book will help you give the confidence to do that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and practical, 14 April 2013
This book is filled with clear explanations and practical exercises to help create interesting and believable characters. I would recommend this book as a good way for a novice writer (like me) to get started.