on 10 May 2016
For any creative writer, literature student, or psychologist looking to study how characters are developed through storytelling, this is an academic look at how the characters we have come to know and love were formed from real-world observation and the spirit of their times.
on 1 April 2008
This book is so awful I felt compelled to write a review. There is nothing of worth in here unless you are completely lacking in imagination and insight into even the slightest variance of human nature.

I would recommend researching the 16 personality types as defined by the Myers-Briggs test - Google this and you will find a lot of useful info on personality types, which will help you write convincing characters with believable motives far better than this book ever could.

This isn't even a good 'writers' book for inspiring or informing writers! The examples of each personality type (written as typical life histories) are patronising and pointless. I've read quite a few writers books (the Elements of Writing Fiction and Writer's Digest guides are really good) but this has to be the worst I've ever read.

Save your money.