5.0 out of 5 stars this is the answer i have searched for
Published on 17 April 2011 by Mrs. Patricia M. Thomas

1.0 out of 5 stars The Sacred Promise
Published on 18 Jun 2011 by Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the answer i have searched for, 17 April 2011
I've had an unusual interest in anything to do with science for a few years now, before that i read only fiction, mainly ghost stories. Having learnt as much as i can grasp from leptons to quantum entanglement i was at a loss until someone discovered a new theory or particle. I stumbled upon this book and it fufilled my desire for further knowledge. Here is a man who is finally going to prove whether there are such things as ghosts and angels and in so doing will prove the existance of God. If he is to be believed, and i find him very believable, he is working with spirit to bring enlightenment to us all. i haven't believed in God for a long time and there are plenty of people searching for answers who are disallusioned with religous fanatics yet lead a good life. I am one of those and since reading this book my life is getting better and better. Perhaps this will go the way of other religions when enough people jump on the bandwagon but for now i feel something very exciting is just beginning

5.0 out of 5 stars From Blind Faith to Conviction Through Science, 23 Jan 2011
Michael E. Tymn "Michael Tymn" (Kailua, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sacred Promise: How Science is Discovering Spirit's Collaboration with Us in Our Daily Lives (Hardcover)
"If you are going to create more light for our world, you must be willing to endure a little heat." So Dr. Gary Schwartz, the author of this book, quotes a Hawaiian spiritual leader he met during a funeral in Hawaii.

Schwartz has been enduring heat ever since his 2002 book, "The Afterlife Experiments," and will no doubt be on the receiving end of flame throwers aimed at him by pseudo-skeptics, debunkers, and other spiritually-challenged people as a result of this book. However, Schwartz clearly understands the risks involved in creating light. As he points out, it is one thing to be skeptical, as he himself is, but there are people who call themselves skeptics who are really cynics waving the banner of science and ready to attack anything that doesn't fit into their narrow materialistic paradigm. Generally, they are unable to distinguish between secular spirituality and religious superstitions. "...there is a difference between skepticism and cynicism," Schwartz points out, "between genuine wondering about psychic occurrences and dogmatic disbelief about them, no matter what the evidence - which is another way of describing an ardent belief that something is not real or is impossible."

As Schwartz states in the Preface, "the book draws on core lessons gleaned from the scientific methods that we can directly apply in our daily lives to potentially connect and communicate with Spirit, to seek help and guidance."

Clearly, Schwartz puts himself in the line of fire by talking about spirit communication, spirit healing, and spirit influence through guides and angels. He relates a number of synchronistic experiences which suggest possible spirit intervention. Always careful to preface his stories by mentioning his own skepticism and suggesting alternative hypotheses or theories that might otherwise explain a particular phenomenon, Schwartz boldly narrows things down so that the spirit hypothesis appears to be the best explanation in most cases. "For me scientific integrity means following the data where it takes you," he explains his position. "It is my conviction that scientists have a responsibility to pursue the path revealed by the emerging data. This may require that we question, if not ultimately reject, fundamental assumptions and beliefs of our society as well as of our professional colleagues - as well as of ourselves."

Schwartz also relates a number of interesting stories told to him by credible people. The one I found especially intriguing involved a woman just out of surgery and still under anesthesia suddenly bolting up to a sitting position on the gurney in the recovery room and giving one of the surgeons a veridical message from his deceased wife.

Many researchers have come to the same conclusion as Schwartz but they remain forever perched on the fence, unwilling, like Schwartz, to "take the heat." That is not to suggest that Schwartz comes completely off the fence in favor of a spirit world, as he recognizes that there is no absolute certainty in matters of spirit. He seems to have both feet well planted on the spiritual side of the fence, but still has his hand on the fence to steady himself. He admits that there are occasions when he becomes imbalanced - either valuing the cold reliability of technology more than the warmth and caring of spirituality, or embracing the comfort of logic and reasoning over the spontaneity and novelty of intuition, in which case he climbs back on the fence of doubt. He also realizes that one can be deluded into imagining spirit when it is all in the head. Moreover, he recognizes the possibility that the "veil" separating this world from the spirit world may be there for protective reasons and therefore there may be limits as to how deeply one can or should explore.

My own search for truth in this regard has left me to conclude that there is indeed a protective veil that cannot be penetrated, but that does not mean that we can't move from the blind faith of orthodox religions - which clearly is failing in these times of moral decadence, egocentricity, intolerance, hatred, hypocrisy, disorder, flux, strife, chaos, and fear - to true faith, or conviction, and it is, I believe, only through the courageous efforts of scientists like Dr. Schwartz and books like this one that this move will be made.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Sacred Promise, 18 Jun 2011
I found it very difficult getting into this book. I think the only person who would appreciate it is another scientist as it doesn't make for straightforward reading. The author has written it so scientifically that I think he has fogotten that it's your average person who is going to read it. He also goes over and over the same point again totally unnecessarily. I'm afraid I only read about a dozen pages before I gave up, which is not like me, especially as I read everything I can on spirituality.

2.0 out of 5 stars do they exist or not?????, 12 April 2011
Although Schwartz is really doing his best in constantly emphasizing his scientific background and credentials and pointing out all the time that he used to be a non-believer etc. in order to add credibility to his findings that spirits do exist, that there is an afterlife, that people you had an emotional connection to when they were alive can be contacted through a medium and will show the same kind of personality they had in their terrestrial life, but be there to help and support you...it is still not convincing. In particular, if his findings were correct, why would that knowledge not be more widespread, why would it not be more common to try and make contact to lost loved ones and why are there still so many scams, quacks and cheats around exploiting people's emotional needs. And somehow it doesn't make sense that there should be all these human spirits out there, when life and death are just part of the natural cycle of all living things, humans included. The only thing that sets us apart from other living beings is consciousness, and even that is not exactly equally distributed among all humans, with some people showing barely more awareness than your average carrot.