5.0 out of 5 stars human life immersed in a living, animate world, 26 April 2006
David Abram - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joy of Man's Desiring (Paperback)
This book, and Giono's "Song of the World," are the two of the most beautiful, wise, transformative works of fiction that I know -- even in translation. The human characters in these novels are entirely a part of the breathing earth that enfolds them. And conversely there is no aspect of the land that is not alive; the wind, the forest, animals, the ground itself are all active participants in the unfolding of events.

The translations are excellent, yet Giono's writing, and his vision, are among the most ecological and eloquent to be found in any language. These books that gave me the impetus to be a writer. If you care for nature, and the prospect of humankind living in genuine participation and reciprocity with earthly nature, these are your books. An essential tonic for our collective ecological insanity...

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this novel 20 years ago, and read it again , It is the real joy., 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Joy of Man's Desiring (Paperback)
this book teachs me how to appreciate the things in my life , I do not need money to feel the breeze on my cheeks, I do not need money to watch the birds in the sky , I need only my feeling .

5.0 out of 5 stars joy of reading, 20 Nov 2010
Doreen Harkes (Dalkeith, Midlothian United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joy of Man's Desiring (Paperback)
This book was recommended by a friend, and it was everything he claimed, as one of his all time favourite authors. Stunning. Simply stunning.

Joy of Man's Desiring
Joy of Man's Desiring by Katherine Allen Clarke (Paperback - 3 Sep 1999)
Used & New from: 1.44