Powers Volume 2: Roleplay: Roleplay v. 2
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£10.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 13 April 2013
After the success of a strong first story there is always a worry that you won't be able to catch the lightning in a bottle second time round. This is a low key story but still a very good one. It features kids without powers who dress up as heroes, not to get involved, but to role-play for fun. Good crossover material for the stereotypical comic book reader and not a subject often treated to good quality fiction.

The story is indeed king but unfortunately this means that our protagonists get a little side-lined and we don't get to empathise with them as much. Powers is a delicate balance between whodunit and buddy movie and when that balance is off we feel it. There are a few neat little twists that intrigue us enough to want more so stopping reading is not an option.

The art has the same high quality but with fewer issues to make bold moves it feels more subdued than the initial spectacle. The dialogue is still top notch and the lettering and panelling are really pushing the layout envelope. Unfortunately sometimes you get a little lost and end up reading things in the wrong order. This doesn't spoil the read if you appreciate being treated like an intelligent adult but a few more clues might help keep the flow going.

Absolutely another Thumbs Up. More please!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 2 August 2010
I wanted to give a new series a try. I'd heard a lot of good reviews of Brian Bendis and the Powers series so I bought volume 1. The art and dialogue were good (although not as good as I expected from reading reviews). However, I was hugely disappointed with the story.

I didn't want to write Powers off straight away so I bought volume 2. I am sorry to say that the second volume is almost identical to the first. I thought the plot was weak and the simplistic art did not really convey the emotion associated with murder.

However, there may be good news. I disliked Powers volume 1 and I thought volume 2 was EXACTLY as bad. Good news then is that if you liked volume 1, you will most likely enjoy volume 2.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again