Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 May 2010
In this story music is strongly linked to a form of magic known as "phonomancy".

I suppose everyone feels this way about music when their enthusiasm for a band or a scene is at its height, so I can relate to where the author is coming from, even if I don't get all the Britpop references. I would probably have found it more fun to read one about punk, goth or shoegazing, but I suppose it's up to me to write that one.

It did make me look twice at my penchant for musical nostalgia, so it certainly did make me think if not change my ways.

Nice clean "ligne claire" artwork as well with a lot of white space and uncluttered panels.

Oh one thing - I didn't find Kula Shaker important (or long lasting) enough to hate them with the vehemence that the central character displays!
on 13 September 2009
I hadn't bought a comic since the Beano at age 7-ish, but as soon as I heard about this, I had to get it. It almost certainly helps if you like mainstream '90s rock bands, who were constantly on the radio at about the time I was reading the Beano. However, I really enjoyed both the story and artwork, and am extremely grateful for the musicians it induced me to explore further (Kenickie and Scout Niblett in particular, neither of whom fall into the Britpop category).
on 25 October 2009
The comic borrows heavily from the style most common to the works of Vertigo comics- and if you enjoyed the likes of some of Hellblazer's more offbeat stories then you should find much joy in this aswell. Much has been made of the focus in the book on the Britpop movement, but to be fair it could be any subject matter used as a focus for the works real theme- that of Nostalgia. That said those familiar with the period should find the comic particulalry rewarding as the creators obviously have a great deal of love for it themselves and your can scarcely turn a page without tripping over one subtle (or not so subtle) referance or another.

In summary if you like the format of works like hellblazer, the uniquely british style of comics, or are just are fascinated by the britpop movement you should get something from this. I certainly did :D
on 30 November 2012
Without babbling too much, this is a cool comic; generally speaking if you prefer indie graphic novels over mainstream superhero comics then chances are you will probably enjoy this. Its witty, cynical, poignant even and full of enough pop culture references to encourage you to listen to your old albums. The artwork is very tasteful; monochrome with realistically drawn people with slightly simplified features (think Ghost World and the like) which works very with the storyline.
That said, all the previous reviewers are correct, it's odd. At first you think it'll be a straightforward "protagonist enters setting, cue monologue" which it is, but it flips very quickly and can be tricky to follow. I feel the need to state that this is indeed a book about magic and people who practice it, I found it at times hard to tell if Gillen was using magic as a metaphor or even just as a colloquialism, but turned out he really did mean good ol voodoo witchcraft.
Either way, its worth a read.
on 18 January 2012
I love the concept of this book. As someone that's quite a comic-book nerd and a bit of a music snob this looked right up my street.

Good things first. The black and white artwork is lovely, super cool, super stylised, totally works.

Unfortunately I just found the book a bit hard to follow. I guess I'm just used to comics that spell it out for me. I think sometimes this book was a little too subtle for it's own good.

All that aside, if you like music and comics then definitely give this one a whirl. Especially if you consider yourself to have been a part of the 90's Britpop scene. Chances are you'll get it and I'm just being stupid.
on 30 December 2015
very good item exactly as desccribed on site and arrived promptly
on 12 September 2009
This graphic novel has been a disappointment from start to finish for me.

I first got into Phonogram when I read some of the comics, then I ordered back issues since I liked them so much. It seems it has only improved over time, as this first outing, a collection of pretentious, self indulgent preening over the over rated, overhyped Britpop phenomenom, proves without doubt.

Was it even good?

I thought it was pretty damned bland and I lived through it at it's peak. Thank god it's over and we can all go back to not caring.

Absolute vanity in print.