• Amy

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2002
I love this book! Mary Hooper has really captured teenage emotions with this book. It's also written well to raise awareness of internet dangers and manipulation with an ending scenario I would never dream of. Like all her other books she has tackled difficult subjects in a sensitive and effective way. It can be a litle scary at times as some events are disturbing. Amy also explains how important friendships are and prejudice against victims of bullying. It's not too lengthy and is fast paced so there's no temptation to go off and forget about it and it stays in your mind for a while. Read it - you won't regret it!
on 25 March 2007
'Amy' is not, admittedly, the most exciting of titles. The eponymous star of this book finds herself friendless after a row with two of her best friends - and girls of a similar age will all be able to identify with that. She turns to chat rooms for company and meets Zed. Zed's eighteen, has a great job, is *really* fit and wants to meet Amy. She gives in, and travels the two and a half hour train journey to meet Zed. A walk around town, a coffee in a cafe and a picnic on the beach, and all seems wonderful - so why did Amy fall asleep on the beach for three hours? Was it really just the sun, or did something more sinister happen? With the help of her new friend Beaky, or Serena, Amy discovers what really happened that awful day.

On many levels, this is a super book. The language is very chatty and easy to follow which will appeal to those with a low reading age. The storyline is also good - gripping but again simple without complex sub plots. I also feel girls will be able to identify closely with Amy. She's a very "average" teenage girl - prettyish but not gorgeous, works hard at school but isn't very brainy, gets on well with parents but has her share of fallings-out. Unlike many novels narrated by the heroine, she is neither a deliquent nor a superbrain - just a girl.

The one thing that did really anny me about this book were the typing errors. Maybe it's just my copy (?) but on page 39 when Amy and her mum are talking about Serena and Amy claims Serena's nose is huge, her mum replies, "Beth, it's not at all!" That really puzzled me, as to the best of my knowledge there isn't even a Beth in the book! Elsewhere Zed is referred to as Zak. Makes it a tad unconvincing. That prevented the book getting 5 stars!
on 8 February 2003
Hi, I am 14 and I read this book. It really makes the issue of the internet clear. I will now always think of this book when or if I go in chatrooms. Mary Hooper is an excellent writer and you feel like you know the characters and you feel the same way as Amy does. Mary Hooper keeps you in suspense right up to the very last word and if you read the book you will know what i mean by this. This is an excellent book and I would reccomend it to any one.
on 12 August 2006
one word: wow!
Mary Hooper is my fav author of all time, and she really relates to the reader so much that you think that its actually happened to you! Amy tells the story through her own eyes, and describes how falling out with her friends led to such an unneccessary and dangerous situation. Zed, the guy who she meets over the internet and in real life, tells her all these things, which she believes, and then she meets him, and then things take a turn for the worst... i'll let u read the rest, and believe me, you will be blown awayyyyy at just how good this story really is ! is it possible to give it 10 stars?:]<3
on 26 February 2014
This book I so good. I really enjoyed it and read it within a day. Like all Mary Hooper books it always has an unexpected twist at the end. I recommend this book for older children as it contains the use of drugs.
on 8 February 2005
I like the fact that this book deals well with the dangers of internet chatrooms, and I like the way in which it explores Amy's feelings about what has happened to her. The snatches of chatroom talk are particularly effective. What worries me, though, is the way in which she and her friend decide to set the guy up, before going to the police and without any adult help. The book doesn't acknowledge at any point that this is almost as stupid and dangerous as agreeing to meet up with someone in the first place. I would hate anyone to read this and get the impression that it's OK to deal with this sort of thing in this way.
on 15 February 2016
Read this when I was a teenager and so bought it now for my teenage sister! Very good teen novel that addresses issues with talking to strangers online. Would recommend to others.
on 7 April 2011
Amy is a interseting page turner book for 12+. Althoguh i would not advise under that age for some may find it disturbing. But overall it is a good book with a happy ending!
on 24 February 2003
When I read this book I was shocked because I didn't realise exactly how dangerous the internet chatrooms could be. This book shows how Amy falls for someone after seeing his picture over the internet. She soon goes to meet him, lying to her parents to do so. When she meets him she thinks that he doesn't look quite as good as he did in the picture but sh thinks he is nice and she trusts him. When she finds out exactly what's going on with the help of her friend Serena she is shocked and is embarrassed about it and tells her mum and the police about it. This book makes people aware of exactly how dangerous and risky internet chatrooms can be. It also shows how hard it is for Amy to deal with what has happened to her.
on 12 September 2011
This is brilliant to give to your Teenage daughter or son. It lets them know that online 'friends' aren't always who they say they are.