5.0 out of 5 stars Had a great time reading this....I loved the Rollers:)
Published on 31 Oct 1999 by helens@direct.ca

2.0 out of 5 stars A watered-down American Psycho for teenyboppers
Published on 4 Mar 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Had a great time reading this....I loved the Rollers:), 31 Oct 1999
helens@direct.ca (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I just read the book yesterday and enjoyed it very much. Caroline had me laughing out loud and also got me thinking about why this kind of 'fandom' happens. I was a very enthusiastic Roller-fan in the 70's, but wasn't old enough to follow them or get to meet them then. After reading this, I'm glad of that fact, because...for me...I needed them to be 'perfect' and I would have been so crushed to realize they were 'real' people. Oh, how devastated I would have been if they had spoken to me they way they did to Caroline and her friends! The book brought back a lot for me, though. That feeling we got when 'our guys' were on TV and the excitment of lining up overnight to try to get tickets to see them. I enjoyed reading about the "TTT"'s and I think most Roller fans will appreciate Caroline's humor and insight into this special time in our lives.

2.0 out of 5 stars A watered-down American Psycho for teenyboppers, 4 Mar 2001
By A Customer
As a non-gay, young male teenage fan of the Rollers (back in the 70s), I was quite intrigued to read this book - especially in light of recent press about Courtney Love purchasing the rights to this for film (and reports of Ewan McGregor playing BCR singer Les McKeown, despite McKeown's protestations that it should be Keanu Reeves - I won't say who they wanted to play Woody or your hair would stand up in a perfect "tuftie"). What I found was a mildly entertaining story of obsession - but obsession with what? Clearly it really wasn't the Bay City Rollers. What emerges is a rather negative and downer read, based mostly on teen rivalry, boredom and fanaticism, with the Rollers themselves (and their music) as a non-essential peripheral excuse for the whole shang-a-lang. Actually, this so-called 'fan' makes continued slams on the band themselves, mostly their music. She offers very little in the way of information about the group, other than what everyone already knows from numerous press releases and stories already on the net. Aye, a wee number of personal observations, of course, but these are peppered with less-than-accurate negative critiques of their music, looks, style, decisions, etc. This book is more the tale of a loser with nothing better to do than compete with other losers for 'stalking rights' for a band she cares almost nothing about musically...which begs the question 'what is the point'? This book, actually, could have ANY teenie band substituted for the Rollers (i.e Westlife, Boyzone, Osmonds, etc.) It reads a tad like American Psycho, but instead of murder, it very blandly tells of endless waits in hotel corridors, and the occasional angry spat if one of the band members was seen walking with another girl. Jeesh. One wonders how on earth a film could be squeezed out of these boring pages...I had hoped for a true memory of those days (I didn't necessarily need an apologetic and nostalgic look at Rollermania, but this is a completely dull opposite), but what we get is a rather pathetic portrait of life as an American school leaver obsessed with a band she didn't actually care for, and, from these pages, a band with an image, music, musicianship, style, etc. she actually disliked. What's the point? Rollermaniacs, or those interested in the whole subject: avoid - this really offers nothing; not even a glimmer of the fun and excitement we all felt back when we had acne and funny tartan clothes.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cost of Obsession, 30 May 2000
By A Customer
When the worlds of an indulgence in utopic fantasy and the harsh truth of reality collide, the fragility of the human psyche is exploited. "Bye Bye Baby" is a comedic yet tragic tale of the perils of fanaticism. Author Caroline Sullivan recounts a self-centered youth focused on acquiring the object of her obsession - former pop idols the Bay City Rollers. When the reality fails to live up to the fantasy, the scars left behind provide a haunting reminder that growing up is inevitable. While Sullivan sometimes deals with the scar tissue with arguable criticism of the skills and character of the band she once idolized, her story is an accurate depiction of the emotional roller coaster that results from an insatiable obsession. By wearing those emotions on her sleeve for all to see, she has provided a book that is not only interesting to current and former fans of the Bay City Rollers but, also, to anyone interested in psychoanalysis of the human mind. The sad truth is that far too many people will be able to relate this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A rollin' good read!!, 16 Sep 2008
J. Daville "jcdinc" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bye Bye Baby: My Tragic Love Affair with the Bay City Rollers (Paperback)
Loved this book, it was a great insight into the life of a hormone crazed, slightly obsessed, teenager and her life in amongst the Bay City Rollers. I read the book straight in a couple of days, i found it almost impossible to put it down because i honestly cared whether or not the girls would catch up with the band on their next stop! I became quite attached to the "characters" and it was almost like i was along for the ride, making it quite sad when it was all over - when everyone grew up and moved on. A brilliant read, and the only reason i only awarded 4 stars was because of the constant criticism of the bands music. They were never supposed to be the best of the best, but surely there's no denying their songs were pretty catchy!
Oh, and for those who were guessing who Caroline's Roller was...it was Woody...Les McKeown confirms this in his autobiography, "Shang-A-Lang: Life As An International Pop Idol"/"Shang-A-Lang: The Curse of the Bay City Rollers".

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Tartan Stars, 16 Jan 2010
I was never a fan of the Bay City Rollers, but a friend mailed me this book saying that it was a must read. It sat on the coffee table for a few weeks, but once I sat down to start reading it, I couldn't put it down! The writing style sucks you in, almost as if it was a friend casually telling you the story.
What is the story? An out of control obsession with the Bay City Rollers, of course! You've got a group of friends who ban together in their love of the Rollers. They trick managers into telling them where the band is staying and airline agents into giving them info on flight times. They call the band members' mothers. They basically do anything they can to see and be near the Rollers.

This book is amazing and for anyone who's ever been obsessed with a band - you can either read it and say "yeah, I did stuff like that too" or "at least I wasn't that obsessed!"

2.0 out of 5 stars A watered-down American Psycho for Teenyboppers, 2 Mar 2001
By A Customer
As a 70s, non-gay, young male teenage fan of the Rollers, I was quite intrigued to read this book - especially in light of recent press about Courtney Love purchasing the rights to this for film (and reports of Ewan McGregor playing BCR singer Les McKeown, despite McKeown's protestations that it should be Keanu Reeves). What I found was a mildly entertaining story of obsession - but obsession with what? Clearly it really wasn't the Bay City Rollers. What emerges is a rather negative and downer read, based mostly on teen rivalry, boredom and fanaticism, with the Rollers themselves (and their music) as a non-essential peripheral excuse for the whole shang-a-lang. Actually, this so-called "fan" makes continued slams on the band themselves, mostly their music. She offers very little in the way of information about the group, other than what everyone already knows from numerous press releases and stories already on the net. Aye, a wee number of personal observations, of course, but these are peppered with less-than-accurate negative critiques of their music, looks, style, decisions, etc... This book, actually, could have ANY teenie band substituted for the Rollers (i.e Westlife, Boyzone, Osmonds, etc.) It reads a tad like American Psycho, but instead of murder, it very blandly tells of endless waits in hotel corridors, and the occasional angry spat if one of the band members was seen walking with another girl. Jeesh. One wonders how on earth a film could be squeezed out of these boring pages...I had hoped for a true memory of those days (I didn't necessarily need an apologetic and nostalgic look at Rollermania, but this is a completely dull opposite), but what we get is a rather pathetic portrait of life as an American school leaver obsessed with a band she didn't actually care for, and, from these pages, a band with an image, music, musicianship, style, etc. she actually disliked. What's the point? Rollermaniacs, or those interested in the whole subject: avoid - this really offers nothing; not even a glimmer of the fun and excitement we all felt back when we had acne and funny tartaned clothes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frightening!, 29 Nov 1999
By A Customer
Caroline lives every fans dream and every rock star's nightmare! This page turner tells us of her journey into what it must be like to become a stalker. I, along with her friend Howie are the only two men on the planet to admit that the Roller's were even worth listening too. I felt a little sad as I turn to the last page as we all to soon discover that Eric, Woody, Alan, Derek and Leslie all became Yesterday's Hero.

4.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Wonderful and painfully honest teen angst., 27 May 2002
Caroline lived out my teen fantasy. While I was home day dreaming over my Roller album covers, she was out there on the front lines, taking the chances and getting the rewards. Thumbs up girl and thanks for writing this book. I have now gotten the chance to see them all up close, pimples and all, but without suffering the heartbreak I would have suffered if I had seen it all in blinding full blown technicolor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining!, 17 Feb 2002
By A Customer
I just finished reading "Bye Bye Baby", and I have to say I was truly entertained by it. Not only was I a Bay City Rollers fanatic, but a fan from New Jersey, just like Caroline. The memories she brought back when she mentioned radio station WXLO (a.k.a. "99X"), and the "Palladium" in N.Y.C. where I saw the Rollers perform in January 1977...

5.0 out of 5 stars We are the fans you pushed out of the way!, 1 Feb 2001
By A Customer
Hey Caroline. You certainly led an interesting life.Loved the book ,me and my pal both read it. We found it a little depressing. Were the BCR's life so sad like you described in your book. Did they enjoy it at all being in the band? How come you never refer to yourself as a groupie? Your story did bring back great memories. Hope your book becomes a movie and the rollers make back some of their lost income.See you at Borders books in NYC. Hey bring along Woody your fave roller or as you say your personal roller.Hey how was he on a scale of one to ten?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Bye Bye Baby: My Tragic Love Affair with the Bay City Rollers
Bye Bye Baby: My Tragic Love Affair with the Bay City Rollers by Caroline Sullivan (Paperback - Feb 2001)
Used & New from: £0.12