5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Fabulous!
Published on 13 April 2010 by Mrs. E. Kitchin

3.0 out of 5 stars not enough steps
The book only shows 3 steps for every picture. There arent enough pictures showing inbetween stages. It goes from just started to completed in 2 pictures its ridiculous. Though the book is thicker than anticipated its rather useless as it doesnt show you how to paint through lack of visual information.
Published 8 months ago by review

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Fabulous!, 13 April 2010
Mrs. E. Kitchin (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Painting Realistic Animals in Acrylic with Lee Hammond (Paperback)
I am a VERY amateur artist and am used to only working in pencil and water colour but this book really appealed to me and I am so glad I bought it! The author explains step by step how to paint different animals, some even in monochrome. He explains about brushes, and different effects, canvas etc which was ideal for me as I was just going to start on my water colour pad!Whilst I harbour no secret belief that I could ever produce art like this, the pictures are truly inspiring and it makes me want to be a better artist as it seems achievable due to the great instructions. Whereas some books just seem to show off personal talents rather than show you how to paint, this leaves you in no doubt about the artist's talent but it gives you great ideas, steps, and descriptions to help you on your way ( the sections , for example, on noses and eyes is marvellous.) Can't sing this book's praises loud enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars How Well You Could Paint Animals, 17 Jan 2011
Mj Barnes (France) - See all my reviews
A good guide to painting fur skin and feather, but some pieces are better than others.Encourages you to be enthusiastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars paint realistic animals in acrylic with Lee Hammond, 23 Jun 2010
Phyllis Houghton "wildlife" (Adelaide S.A) - See all my reviews
I found this book very informative .From advice on setting up with Acrylic paints,types of brushes,canvas materials ,all at a basic standard for the beginner and those starting to paint
in the early years. Lee then goes on to give understanding on colour from the basic palette.
From there it refers to basic techniques of drawing and brushwork.
After the basics its into the interesting part of finally painting the animals,with excellent instruction on texture of various furs.
The collection of animals in the book would make any animal lover want to attempt to paint.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite "how to" acrylic painting book., 3 July 2014
I borrowed this book at my local library and liked it that much I had to own it. The goat picture is my favourite as it has so much detail and is very life-like. It has step-by-step illustrations on how to do many of the paintings and even tells you which colours to use which I find the most helpful of all. It shows you how to paint and draw cats, dogs, a horse, a cows, a squirrel, a rabbit, a woodchuck, a tiger's face, an elephant, a lion, a turtle, a snake, an iguana and a number of birds. I cannot fault this book in any way. At the beginning it tells you the different items you need to get started and how to clean your paint brushes etc. It doesn't rely on tracing to draw the animals which is also a bonus. And finally it tells you about all the elements of shading which is essential in making the painting seem life-like. Love this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars not enough steps, 8 Jan 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 9 Dec 2013
Its a handy book to have, though I did get a little impatient with it as I just wanted to get painting. I would say that its a good book for some one who has some skills in painting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 9 Jun 2013
This book is ideal for those just starting it explains how to do some great effects great easy to follow

4.0 out of 5 stars realistic animals in acrylic with lee hammond, 25 Mar 2013
I truely love the lee hammond books as they explain everything in simple terms . But as i also bought his big book which covers alsorts including animals. I needn't have bought this book .

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Lee Hammond, 29 Dec 2012
This book does what it says. Lee Hammond lays things out simply, its very easy to follow. This is another great addition to my collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars its ok, 22 Nov 2012
I was a bit disappointed in this book, as the colours she uses like the purple, and paynes grey, i know if you use black & white to make grey its not the same in paint tubs.

the only place i could find them is in the usa.

Painting Realistic Animals in Acrylic with Lee Hammond
Painting Realistic Animals in Acrylic with Lee Hammond by Lee Hammond (Paperback - 26 Oct 2007)
12.34