‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't wait to get started!, 3 Jun. 2007
This review is from: DragonArt: How to Draw Fantastic Dragons and Fantasy Creatures (Paperback)
I have always been good at copying other peoples dragons, but when it came to creating my own I found it difficult to make them look realistic (as much as you can make something that's fantasy look real).

However, this book is great as it takes you through each stage step by step, allowing you to learn through practice. I am still amazed at how easy it is to create your own realistic dragons, and other mythological creatures, and I now wonder how I ever found it difficult. I guess the old saying is true - "It's easy when you know how!"

I would recommend this book to anyone wishing to get their own fantasy world down on paper. You will want to get the paper and pencils ready before you open the front page!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest how to draw book ever!, 31 Aug. 2006
I'd wanted to learn to draw dragons and other fantasy creatures for ages, and when I got this book for my birthday I was thrilled, but when I started to work through it, it was better than I imagined as, on top of the step by step break down of how to draw various different dragons, features of dragons and other fantasy creatures, I was very pleased to find tips on how to draw the different things, and also how to make your own unique pictures, making it ideal for both those interested in just drawing the dragons and for those who are more interested in the technical side of things, such as bone structure, muscles etc. I would reccomend this book to those who like fantasy creatures and to those who consider themselves as a good or bad artist (myself being in the latter category!) You will find yourself drawing good dragons in no time!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dream of a book, 30 Dec. 2005
Just Jenny (Newmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is an absolute must for anyone interested in drawing dragons and other fantasy creatures. The drawings quide you through everything step by step and really inspire you to create your own fantastic creatures. I can't wait to get started. I really recommend this book to anyone with a multitude or, like me, a minimum amount of talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, clear and stimulating, 16 Aug. 2009
Fantini Lavinia (Italy) - See all my reviews
This is not another of those step-by-step books which, instead of teaching you how to do something, teach you only how to copy. This book is quite the opposite!

With simple language and funny (and nicely drawn) examples, the author will show you how to easily draw dragons, but in a way that will make you capable of coming up with your own poses and creatures.
More important, she will give you a lot of useful tips that actually make you ask yourself how you would draw a dragon: would it have frills? Horns? A barbed tail? Maybe a bit of fur? Talons or paws?
By the end of the book, you'll have a lot of different dragons filling your mind, every one unique and born from your imagination.

The last section of the book shows some other mythical creatures, giving tips as done with the dragons; I found it a nice "extra" and appreciated how it gave a short explanation of the beasts story which entices to learning more about them.

Useful and entartaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowingly FROOBY!!!!!, 13 Dec. 2006
a review by my 14 year old son who recieved this book as a birthday present 6 months ago:

I reckon that was the best drawing book i have ever used! full of nice little tips to encourage you further! if your not a deadly serious artist and a casual scribbler like my instead, its IDEAL! i L O V E it and i fully recommend it to anyone of any ability. It teaches you how to draw Dragons, Asian dragons, Western Dragons, Unicorns, Pegasus, Sea Serpants and even Gargoils! but its mainly on Dragons.Unfortunately, it dosn't contain photos of real dragons or unicorns, lol =D

5.0 out of 5 stars My 11 year old daughter loved this book, 9 Sept. 2006
D. Lundholm (The Chalfonts, UK) - See all my reviews
If you have a child or relative that would love to draw fantasy animals, especially dragons, I cannot recommend this book more highly. It was a late addition to a Xmas gift and my 11-year old daughter just loved it, and has revisted it time and time again learning to draw better dragons. If Amazon let me, I'd post the results - because this book really does teach you step by step skills to deliver great dragons.... do buy it - it's given our family great pleasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 2 Feb. 2009
N. Cook - See all my reviews
Bought this for my 9yr old son. He loves it. Spends hours following the step-by-step pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant & Helpful Guide To The Dragon Art!, 28 July 2010
I have always been good at drawing and sketching dragons, as they are my favourite mythical creatures. The trouble I have always had is getting the position right, or making them look real (as real as mythical creatures can be). After reading all the excellent reviews on this book and using the neondragon website, I decided to order it.
From the moment the postie handed me my book, it was swiftly out of the box and on my lap as I studied the whole thing. With no time I was already sketching to my hearts content. (Much to the amusement of my boyfriend).
This book is amazing, the artist's helpful guide is amusing. I love how the artist doesn't speak down to you, like most of these books can or expect you to be an expert artist and know everything about art. Let's be honest if you were, why would you be buying a 'how to' book on drawing? The tips are clearly pointed out at each stage of creating the dragon. The artist even gives you great tips on shading, highlighting and colouring. I have found this extremely helpful & have already been sketching my own dragons from imagination. I still refer to the book for tips & to remind myself or for inspiration.
I definately recommend this to anyone who is looking to either start this type of art, or looking for tips to improve or to even start drawing as a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragons galore, 9 Dec. 2009
I first saw some of this person's work on a online site and while I didnt like all of it, I loved her Dragons! The book goes into a good amount of detail so even someone who isnt all that good like me! can turn out some ok drawings.While her style is slightly cartoonish,don't let that put you off, her work is very high quailty and this is a good source of inspiration to even established artists.It is easy to apply the techniques to your own style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, 3 Feb. 2010
Reviewser - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have been trying to draw dragons for ages, from my early teens I have been interested in drawing them however to be honest I was useless normally stealing other peoples ideas - tracing paper anyone? Well this book is quite the eye opener. Having taken a stronger interest in drawing recently I bought this book to aid me in my quest to draw my own dragon - you know the one you imagine in your head... Anyway I have to admit this book is incredible.
It is simple enough to follow that I think anyone from their teens onwards could use this book yet it has enough advanced elements in it to appeal to those that know the basics. The nice thing is, that if you follow the book through you can apply what you have learn't to draw whatever you imagine.
A nice touch is the part on different creatures at the end.
I really do recommend this :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

DragonArt: How to Draw Fantastic Dragons and Fantasy Creatures
DragonArt: How to Draw Fantastic Dragons and Fantasy Creatures by Jessica 'Neon Dragon' Peffer (Paperback - 24 Nov. 2005)