5.0 out of 5 stars A humble positioning for those who wish to serve the King in all things "Worship" related, 21 Nov 2009
A. Gale "Saved by grace 2002" (Cardiff, Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worship Matters (Paperback)
When it comes to music and worship within the church, everyone seems to have an opinion. It would appear that all are willing to throw their two pence into the mix. In a generation that appears to be focusing on the experience of worship as opposed to the God of infinite praise, this book could not be more aptly timed.

Bob takes the time required to open up the Biblical approach to coming before the Lord in singing that has sorely been lost throughout recent times. For some this will be fresh and new, and for some will sting a little, but if read with humility, will be deeply profound and edifying to the reader.

I have now read this book through twice and will continue to return to its truth and helpful advice throughout my life. Though you may not agree with all Bob's preferences, there is important practical and spiritual stuff in here for any one who is involved with worship in their church. The chapters are short and very easy reading, yet have a depth of a man who has let the Word of God imprint his understanding. I would also recommend this book to all Christians as food for thought as to what it is we do when we come before the Saviour and sing of His great love for us through the wrath absorbing sacrifice of Jesus.

Worship Matters, it really does!! This book matters, and you should read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worship Matter...it really does...as does humility, 2 Feb 2011
This review is from: Worship Matters (Paperback)
My first observation would be that this is not a book just for people who call themselves worship leaders. This is a book that would be valuable to anybody who calls themselves a Christian. The sheer depth that this book goes into, a depth I wasn't expecting, makes it more than a manual for Sunday morning singing and more of a core text on what should be a huge part of our Christian lives. I should have guessed this from the endorsement on the back. I'd have anticipated having maybe Paul Baloche, Chris Tomlin et al but what you find is rather different. Carson, Frame, Grudem(!?!), Dever and Harris (as well as Townsend and Redman). If that doesn't intrigue you, I'm not sure what will.

The book itself is extremely well set out. The arguments are clear to follow, it flows nicely between over arching themes (which on their own would leave us asking as many questions as we had to begin with) and nitty gritty(which on their own would be so nit picked we'd be arguing that it's only right for his church), it doesn't pretend to know all there is, there's huge amounts of quotations from a vast library of books. Again I say, "This is not what I expected!"

What was most noticeable to me though was the humility with which it was written. In stark contrast to Young Restless and Reformed (which in hindsight stank of pride), at no point do you get the impression that Kaufflin thinks he's a guy whose got it all figured out (I happen to to think He's very nearly there!). Instead he seems far, far, far more interested in showing the reader how `worship' relates to our job as Christians, to glorify our risen King.

His critique of modern `worship culture' is even handed (but quite damning when you realise how far it is from the biblical ideal he presents). I've read it once and can't wait to read it again with highlighter in hand! Really, who ever you are, get hold of this book and read it. I can't say fairer than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Biblical and above all practical manual for all worship leaders, 25 Jan 2010
Andrew Gosden (Ipswich, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worship Matters (Paperback)
Worship Matters. It matters to God and it matters to us - because it's what we are made for. It especially matters to those of us who are called to leadership role in Corporate Worship, whether as pastor or musician. But in matters of Worship we can so often lose focus, lose our sense of priorities and get so caught up in the task we forget why we are doing it.

Bob Kauflin's book is immensely helpful because it has two solid foundations. The first is a clear, Biblical understanding of the God we worship. As Kauflin says: "The better (i.e. the more accurately) we know God through his Word, the more genuine our worship will be."

The second foundation is over 30 years experience in music for worship, as arranger, pianist and worship pastor. He writes with real honesty from his own experience of the practical difficulties and spiritual temptations and dangers we all face as musicians and worship leaders.

These two foundations lend real weight and impact to what Kauflin has to say. Throughout the book as he focusses on The Leader, The Task, Healthy Tensions and Right Relationships he weaves the great truths about Jesus, the Gospel, the Cross, the Spirit around practical advice both on the leader's own Spiritual life, and how to run a healthy music ministry. A classically trained pianist who toured for 8 years as a songwriter and arranger for the group GLAD, Kauflin belongs to a tradition which values both biblical teaching and doctrine, and charismatic renewal. As a result there is a huge amount to to explore, from whatever theological or musical tradition you come. There's even a chapter for your Pastor/Minister/Clergy leaders to read. Above all what greater prayer could there be than his prayer "...that people [will] walk away from our meetings more amazed by God than by our music."

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellant read for anyone involved in or thinking about music focussed ministry., 16 Oct 2013
William Lowbridge "Book Eagle" (Cirencester- UK) - See all my reviews
A couple of us decided to read this as input to our regular meetings. Each reading a number of chapters, then meeting to catch up, discuss where we were and how things were going and anything in particular that had seemed relevant/important from the book. Really useful and helpful and we found the book provided solid input and insights.

It's well researched, written well and covers a lot of ground both biblical and practical. Well worth investing in and really helpful to work through with others in your team.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Worship Matters (Paperback)
it's top notch so far. I haven't finished it all yet (!) but the first section was practical and talked about many things I've thought about but been unable to express or put into words. very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Worship Matters (Paperback)
This is a thoughtful, thought-provoking book about leading worship. It should be standard reading for anyone following a Worship Leaders' course.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all worship leaders!, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Worship Matters (Paperback)
A powerful resource and life changing read for the worship leader that wants to be better and draw closer to God and lead/take their congregation with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book and my first dowload to my new ipad 2, 21 Feb 2013
this was a great treat for me to be able to select a book i wanted and be reading it in less than half an hour. Great service and brilliant book i shall definitely use this service again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've ever read on church music and worship!, 17 Aug 2012
Christopher Edwards (Crowborough, East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worship Matters (Paperback)
It is a mark of the amount of wisdom in this book that I learned a lot simply from reading the chapter headings!

Many books have been written on the subject of church music and worship, and this is the best one I've ever read. What makes it so? I think firstly it's Bob Kauflin's immense practical experience; secondly it's his genuine humility (of which more later); and thirdly it's because of his love for Jesus and concern to be theologically rigorous as well as spiritually alive.

In part one, Kauflin discusses the characteristics of a good leader. He is brutally honest about his own failures and the way that God has lovingly used them to reshape him.
In part two, he seeks to define the task of a worship leader. This is the longest section of the book, and perhaps because of its rigour I found it slightly harder than the rest to keep going through.
In part three, he flags up a number of 'healthy tensions' - things which sometimes seem to be opposites and must be kept in tension for success. Examples: being planned vs being spontaneous; being rooted vs being relevant; having musical skill vs being authentic. This section is so practically helpful, I wonder how I managed to keep sane before having read it!
Finally, part four looks at relationships: within a music team, with a pastor, and with the rest of the church. And there's a special chapter written to pastors.

Quite simply, this book is a goldmine, shot through with applied, biblical, wisdom. It's worth mentioning that the book is written for broadly 'contemporary' musicians, so the assumption is usually that you will be working with a 'band' of some sort. Nevertheless the principles, of course, apply to any kind of music style or service style. So, though some church musicians will relate more naturally to it than others, I think it would be helpful for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A balanced, bible-based, inspired read, 6 April 2010
This review is from: Worship Matters (Paperback)
This book is well worth the read. Bob Kauflin has so much experience, in so many different contexts that it gives credibility and weight to what he writes. He inspires and teaches so well. I went through it with a high lighter pen and couldn't put it down. I've been raving about it to my friends and really recommend it whether you're involved in Worship corporately or privately.

Worship Matters
Worship Matters by Bob Kauflin (Paperback - 16 May 2008)
9.96