Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 June 2011
I bought this book because I plan to open a commercial art gallery and have no idea how to go about it. I had no idea what it would be like or what it really included. The only reason I gave this book 4 starts and not more is because it's written by an American gallery owner and therefore is geared towards the American market. This was the only thing I struggled with as I had no idea what was purely American laws and what is true in both countries. But apart from that, all the chapters have given me a very helpful insight into the world of the gallery owner and the troubles I am going to have to face. A lot of the information has been invaluable, as I had no idea that certain things existed or had to be done. I have now started writing my mission statement and am going back through the book using each chapter to help me write my business plan and work out my start up costs. If you are planning on opening any gallery, whether it's contemporary or just a small local gallery working with local artists, this book will be a great buy.
I definitely plan to have this either in my office or in my gallery (when I open it) so it is to hand at all times.
A great buy, unfortunate about the American focussed art shows and websites on laws. But I'm very glad I bought it and would definitely recommend it to any potential or current gallery owner.
on 19 January 2016
useful read for those interested in the field, though the focus is US-centric and some of the information is already outdated and recent IT trends are not taken into account. Still, even with these shortfalls, the book gives a good, almost 360 degree realistic overview also thanks to Winkleman's reference to his own experience without any embellishment and glamour associated with the art world.
on 3 July 2013
Well thought out book full of information, even for those outside the USA. Time well spent on reading this book