5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a present
Bought on request from my Dad for his birthday. Perfect condition despite its long journey (post-wise!). Arrived promptly. Just what my Dad wanted!
Published on 22 Jun. 2012 by katethegardener

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR YOUR AVERAGE GARDENER
This is principally a book for garden designers, or those who would like to be able to afford the garden designer's fee for giving them the very latest in garden style, and who need to know what to ask for. Although it's questionable whether any style that is now so dated can be considered to be "the very latest".

The term which best describes the nature of...
Published on 14 April 2013 by Jeff Walmsley

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR YOUR AVERAGE GARDENER, 14 April 2013
Jeff Walmsley "JW" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Landscapes in Landscapes (Paperback)

The term which best describes the nature of Oudolf's gardens is "shabby chic", a good example being his own garden (which, when viewed through half-closed eyes, could easily be imaginatively visualised as a derelict industrial site). The problem with a very distinctive "signature style" is that when examples are presented en masse, as here, it very quickly becomes boring. The most appealing garden design books are - to my way of thinking, at least - those which illustrate the most eclectic mixes. I soon tired of page after page of wavy hedges, square-clipped yew, swathes of grasses and the same old juxtaposed workaday perennials (daisies, thistles and Salvia or Salvia look-alikes). "Brown is a colour", says Oudolf; maybe so, but it's not one I want to dominate my own garden, if only because it's such a depressing one.

And one needs to be aware that, despite their air of semi-wildness, these are all VERY high maintenance gardens, make no mistake, whether they are for public authorities who can afford armies of full-time gardners (or who attract volunteers), or very rich private owners who can either afford paid help, or who don't have to work for a living and can thus spend all their days tending their gardens. (But woe betide the latter when they grow too old to keep up the required pace...)

It's a very nice book, beautifully (albeit sometimes misleadingly) photographed and produced and - which will presumably be of great interest to professional designers - containing full-page and sometimes double-page reproductions of Oudolf's often highly complex design plans, both finished and freehand versions, the latter in rough coloured pencil. Indeed, the gardens often seem to look better on the plan than in the green, although you may need a magnifying glass to read the inscriptions. "The High Line", a New York public garden created along a derelict overhead railway, claims over 10% of the book; and two other large US public gardens account for another 10%.

The text, presumably by Noel Kingsbury, is a straightforward eulogy to Oudolf. For myself, I belong to that body which thinks he should never have been allowed anywhere near the Royal Horticultural Society's Wisley Garden; or at best given a small plot in which to express himself, rather than the vast and once-famous double borders which, as a consequence of his handiwork, no longer have any interest for me whatsoever.

I don't think this book is worth anything like £40 to the average gardner; I paid £34 all in (I hadn't bought a gardening book in a while and was having withdrawal symptoms), but perhaps I should have waited until it was remaindered. My approach to gardening books is that if I get one good idea for my own garden, then it's worth whatever I paid; £20, say, for a tip that will bring you years of pleasure is money well spent. I haven't yet found an idea in here that I would want to pursue, but perhaps that's because I haven't looked closely enough; when I've been through it a few times I may well find the one brilliant idea that makes it £34 well spent.

It's a very posh book, though, and I'm not entirely sorry to have it, if only to show how broad-minded I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a present, 22 Jun. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars con, 3 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Landscapes in Landscapes (Paperback)
Pre ordered then i watched the book sell out in front of my eyes as Amazon sold the copies they had at a higher price and left me hanging! Now i have to wait 3 weeks. great service.

I would give one star for Amazon's service not the book which i suspect will be very interesting.

I wanted a copy to review on my site!

update..i bought a copy elsewhere for less, its a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars wicked book, 29 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Landscapes in Landscapes (Paperback)
OMG this book was ace i liked the bit when the flower grew and the guy who wrote the book . pete was it . well he was hot !!!! he looked a bit like david beckam but HOTTER !!!! the only bad thing was , i thaught there would be some wedding dresses you could buy from there but that don not matter .

Landscapes in Landscapes
Landscapes in Landscapes by Piet Oudolf (Paperback - 1 Jun. 2011)