4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and informative
This is my first book purchase about the subject after library reading; others can be a little thin on why things work scientifically and why various ingredients are used. This book comprehensively covers that aspect, and is reasonably free from cranky or "mother goddess" stuff(!)
Published on 5 April 2010 by N. Royle

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised! Disappointing!
I was really looking forward to getting this book. I have really sensitive skin and wanted to be able to make my own shampoos and 'beauty' products.

When I turned to the shampoo recipes it told me to buy baby shampoo or sensitive shampoo and then told me how to make it smell nice with oils.

When I turned to the lip care recipes it told me how to make...
Published 16 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and informative, 5 April 2010
N. Royle (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Organic Body Care Recipes (Paperback)
Two things others might want to note; it uses obviously American terms (eg. veg. shortening) and measurements and has no resource pages based in Europe; second, some of the ingredients used I have found from simple european research are considered "suspect" to use for skin, eg. borax for it's chemical toxicity and lanolin for it's pesticide residue and allergic reactions (something Tourles mentions but disregards.)So making products diy can be just as confusing as buying them if you want to avoid "nasties" - still, you can just test on yourself instead of animals!
So, as a beginner, I think it's good in that one can almost immediately start simply producing cleanser, toner, lip balm, body scrub, etc. and for anyone else purchasing this book in uk it is good to have the basics in front of you; as soon as you go to online ingredient shops you will discover other recipes and opinions or science about ingredients - I would have done more research anyway because of my own allergy problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book bu has a few flaws., 11 Dec 2010
Veronica Setterhall "V-kaos" (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Organic Body Care Recipes (Paperback)
This book is a very good one in the genre. It covers basic knowledge about the skin/hair and how they function and general health tips. It also gives brief but comprehensive descriptions of ingredients and possible substitutes for them. I enjoyed that part a lot actually. The recipes are very nicely presented, but it would have been nice with metric conversions too (wouldn't take much space to print side by side as is seen in other books).

Like another reviewer here has said though, it has a few flaws for instance using borax in many of the recipes - which is an ingredient considered toxic and has very strict regulation rules as to how much a product can contain in Europe and it always has to be marked. An easy replacement of borax is baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) which is quite a bit safer. The author does not mention this.

As with many other books in the genre I lack a focus on hair-care. There are almost never more than 2-3 recipes for shampoos and even less for conditioners usually. Yes, it's a bit hard to make them to a similar standard as commercial ones without crazy chemicals, but there are options - for instance soap nuts, rhassoul clay or even making soaps but with high oil-content.

In general I'd still recommend this book - it is very thorough and has many lovely formulas that I definitely will use myself. It's good for the starter - but as always - be critical about what you read. :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised! Disappointing!, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Organic Body Care Recipes (Paperback)

When I turned to the lip care recipes it told me how to make a simple lip balm but instead of then telling me how to naturally add colour- it told me to add a melted down bought lipstick.

This is totally not as advertised! This is supposed to be a book about creating your own organic body care recipes- Its not! Lots of it is about adding some nice smells and oils to ready made bought products.

Very disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing results!, 22 Jan 2009
This review is from: Organic Body Care Recipes (Paperback)
I bought this book because I started to get interested in natural products. The results are unbelievable! I had been suffering from unidentified skin problems (though I saw four dermatologists from 2 countries), and I had been on corticosteroid and then hydrocortisone cream, a cream that I had been using for 7 years. Finally I decided to stop it. This book doesn't cure my disease, but it helps me to fight the rebound. I made different oils, elixirs and creams which are for soothing irritated skin, and that helped me to hang on. A bonus is that the Repair and Restore elixir is actually reducing the keloids that I had from vaccinations and biopsy! I think for anyone who is interested in making their own body products, this book is easy to use, and has information about different ingredients. The only shortcoming is the index. It only refers to the pages that contain basic information on different herbs, but not their occurrences in the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very well thought out book, 22 Dec 2009
This review is from: Organic Body Care Recipes (Paperback)
I couldnt put this book down - it is so informative and has given me so many ideas for creating my own products, all of the ingredients seem easy to obtain. I would highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to make their own natural products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Organic Body Care Recipes (Paperback)
Fantastic book. I've had this book for a couple of months and I've tried lots of the recipies and the are all great. Theres no real specialist equipment required and most of the ingredients are readily available from the supermarket or on the net. The reciepies are well written and include shelf life, storage, alternatives and the amount each recipe makes. I was surprised how long the base ingredients and product last considering theres no artifical preservatives. The creams have deffinaltley helped my skin through a harsh winter and the feel and smell are just heavenly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Feb 2010
This review is from: Organic Body Care Recipes (Paperback)
This was a gift for my mother as she decided she wanted to make her own soaps and creams etc. and i nust say she absolutely loved it, it is perfect for beginners and experts alike. and there are so many recipes for all sorts of soaps, creams, lipbalms etc. I think this is possibly the best book i could have got for her as she uses it all the time now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book to own, 16 Jun 2009
This review is from: Organic Body Care Recipes (Paperback)
Bought this book and loved even just reading it. Can't wait to get stuck in to make some of the recipes. Some are easy and some sound a bit more tricky but am looking forward to giving them a go. A great book with lots of different things to try and some great advice. Not the book for everyone but then what book is!! I love it and will definitely be recommending it to friends and family, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have already!

5.0 out of 5 stars myview, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Organic Body Care Recipes (Paperback)
This is one of the best books of organic recipes currently on the market. The recipes are easy to follow, smell wonderful and are excellent products. There is a wide range of areas covered from facial to hand/feet and moods enhancing recipes. Ingredients are easy to find although, on the down side, sources quotes are all non-UK. Have a go, it is great fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book that I use the most!!, 11 April 2010
D. Risovic (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Organic Body Care Recipes (Paperback)
This is a book that I bought six months ago and since then I've used it as a fantastic reference book in preparing my own skin care products! I absolutely love it, author covered ingredients explanations with well balanced recipes. For all those who are new to natural skin care products, this book is must have!

Organic Body Care Recipes
Organic Body Care Recipes by Stephanie Tourles (Paperback - 30 Jun 2007)
8.39