5.0 out of 5 stars Great cooking, deep thinking
This is not just a cookbook, but an almost poetic expression of a passionately-held philosophy about food.
First the bit you would expect: tons of great recipes, covering both the more familiar cuts of meat (roasts, pies, casseroles) and weirder ones (innovative ways with liver, sweetbreads, brains and more). So far so good: a really solid meat cook-books
But...
Published on 6 July 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
This is a good book, and why can be seen from the many previous reviews. The book well deserves three amazon stars. In response to the 5 star inflation (admittedly biased towards the negative):
Published on 30 April 2011 by Toad

5.0 out of 5 stars meat bible, 9 Feb 2009
Ea Hamlyn - See all my reviews
Whether you are an absolute carnivore or not this book is the bible of the meat world. So well written with sound knowledge and passion. Any foodie should have this as a source of reference on their kitchen shelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever meat redipe book, 29 Jan 2009
I bought this for my father in law for christmas, who was a butcher, and he said is was the best book on meats he has ever seen, and he is already cooking the recipes from it. Fantastic book, you won't be disappointed with it, unless of course you are a vegetarian

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 30 April 2011
Even though full of valuable information and thoughts, some seem a bit dated in 2011. This is not only true for the general background, but also modern cooking methods such sous vide are underrepresented. Science of meat cooking doesn't go deep enough for my liking. The presentation is very lengthy, and the tongue-in-cheek style - condescending at times- a bit tiresome after a while. As usual in cooking books originating from British TV series there is an abundance of pictures, including many of the author and his TV farm (admittedly, they are not as silly as the pictures in Jam. Oliver books). Showing dead animals is laudable, but more pictures of meat cuts than of eating people would have been helpful. The author is a strong proponent of buying British meat, and doesn't see much point of buying meat of other countries (for example NZ lamb). This opinion is not unusual and shared by many people of other countries, all praising their own produce. Of note, one of his first comments on BSE is pointing out the French government's use of the moment to ban British beef import. Unusual for a cooking book 'Meat' has several references to other authors, however, unfortunately mostly to authors which are not suited to advance one's cooking skills. Grip of the British media cook mafia?
Even though often introduced with useful background, the recipies itself I found somewhat uninspiring. Using uncommon cuts is laudable but clearly not enough. Over- and underseasoning are occurring, see cinnamon, apple and citrus sauces for various dishes. Sauces in general, not unimportant for meat cooking, are neglected. There is more possible than scratching the pan. Preparing schnitzels in olive-oil-butter is not a good idea, neither is preparing a stew with stout only (at least the author admits the latter in brackets), for example. Side-dishes are a bit dull.
A good advice is, however, to eat more mutton because the sheep then can enjoy jumping around longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugh really knows his meat, 9 May 2009
Harry O'Lye (Dangleberryville, Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book and lives up to all the expectations I'd had when rading the reviews on Amazon. It truly isenlightening to see someone being frank and honest about eating meat - I have to say he really is open about his meat and goes into great detail about what he likes to do with his meat. It's a great reference for all wannabe chefs, and let's face it many of us fancy ourselves as the next big thing.
I love cooking and so does my partner. We often like to entertain a throng of guests with a buffet or smaller guests with a 3 course meal (smaller meaning less numbers, not height restricted). Anyway we are always looking for new recipes to excite our guests and chanced upon this little gem. With no shame, we are not vegetarians so like so we look for unusual things to do with our meat. We have been known to tightly bound our beef and prick it with rosemary and garlic - the juices just flow out and create the tastiest creamy beef sauce - and when sliced and place to the side of the plate, the moist, red beef curtans provide a superb frame in which can be place all manner of other ingredients. I have a particular penchant for lamb and exotic recipes such as Moroccan lamb, slowly cooked with apricots and other such ingredients really bring out the best of my tender meat. We also have a joint liking for venison, although this can be dear. I really must say that the contents of this book cover all these types of meat and more and is a real delight to see suggestions that really do the ingredients justice. Most people may consider chicken to be a little bland, however given the right herbs and spices even a dull piece of chicken can be turned into a real feast. For me there is nothing like a nice lean breast, sprinkled with a little cheese for that real treat at supper. However what we both really like is pork. For me a slow roasted skewer with pomodorini, sweet AND hot peppers, onion and lightly oiled pork gives the ultimate satisfaction - a veritable pork sword length of enjoyment. My partner however prefers something a little sweeter and for her, nothing puts a smile on her face more than when she has pork in cider.

4.0 out of 5 stars The River Cottage Meat book, 4 Feb 2009
E. J. Atkinson (london, uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a book for my husband and he loves it. A bit verbose but everything you could want to know about meat and how to cook it.A great book for chaps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Meat eating, 29 Jan 2009
Mr. Christopher G. Notley (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
Full of good advice and covers the basics as well as the more complicated recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars meal on the plate, 25 May 2004
When i sat down to read this book kindly leant to me by a friend (we wont go into names)i was illy educated on the process of how many meats get onto our plate.But after turning the last page i felt as if i were an expert and could tell all my mates every aspect of the meat trade. I have a lot to be thankful for as hugh has anlightened me on the world of meat.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hugh's Meat not as good as 'fish', 24 July 2012
'Fish' by Hugh FW is simply my favourite cookery book.

It is so informative, the recipes are good and accessible too.

'Meat' is not a patch on it.

It lacks the detail that 'Fish' has and somehow fails to share the passion that Hugh so clearly has.

I would go as far as suggesting to Hugh FW that he does a revised edition, as it is a pretty uninspiring calling card for such a brilliant bloke who has so much to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Meat, 29 Jun 2004
Makes compulsive reading if you like good meat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Meat Is Murder!, 16 April 2013
I was bought this book by a friend of mine who is blind, and to my discontent it doesn't contain any vegan recipes. I find this hard to believe in this day and age. I was sincerely disappointed and will be for a refund from Hue himself, seeing as he went Vegan for a little while too!

The River Cottage Meat Book
The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Hardcover - May 2007)
Used & New from: 19.96