4.0 out of 5 stars Is there a place for creative people in this world?
Published on 14 Feb 2003 by marie-chantale turgeon

2.0 out of 5 stars Only really useful for the completely lost
This book promises much more than it delivers and, in my view, is only really useful for the completely lost or those with little self-awareness. Other books in the same area, such as What Colour Is Your Parachute?: A Practical Manual for Job-hunters and Career Changers (What Color Is Your Parachute?) or Brand You: Turn Your Unique Talents into a Winning Formula or even...
Published on 2 Dec 2010 by John

4.0 out of 5 stars Is there a place for creative people in this world?, 14 Feb 2003
marie-chantale turgeon (Montreal, Canada & Mérindol, France) - See all my reviews
I found lots of interesting information in this book, I suggest that you have a short look at it if you, like me, wonder if there is place for hm, yeah, "unconventional" (creative, self-expressive, human, extremly sensitive to some things, intuitive, with a excessive need of freedom, ...) people in this world. The book convince you that yes, there is a need for these kind of people in this world!
The book is a light reading, with inspiring quotes, a personality test to see what type of creative you are, and a listing of professions according to your type.
Highly inspiring these days, i recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will leave you enlighted, motivated and happy!, 20 Jan 2008
This review is from: Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional Peopl (Paperback)
This book has helped me in so many ways to recognise my talents and has brought me comfort that its ok to be creative and still make a living from it. I decided to write a review for this book beause like me theres lots of people who feel lost out there and I know all to well how depressing and lonely it is.

I recently graduated from university on a business i.t course. I originally took this course because I felt that no matter what... there will always be a job for me within this field. But what I didn't realise when I was making my educational-choices was that eventhough I will be employed in a convetional office job doesn't mean I will be happy. Every since I was a child I have been very creative and passionate about thinking up bright new ideas and all the way up till university I was totally engroused in some of the creative aspects in business, but always pushed aside my natural talents as I thought "I can't make money out of this!"

This book has given me so much to look forward to. It includes short, pratical exercises help you discover your personality and how these unique traits can be applied to the job market. There's a list of 270 jobs which you can explore such as:

* Wedding planner
* Experimental Psychologist
* Art Coordinator
* Public Relations Counselor
* Travel Guide
* Display Designer
* Scientific Illustrator
* Multimedia Designer

The greatest comfort was that I FINALLY UNDERSTOOD WHY I DIDN'T FIT in a conventional office environment and that I CAN FIND THE PERFECT WORK ENVIRONMENT where people share the same values and ideas as me. This book is inspirational and it isn't one of those motivation books where it throws you a handful of obvious answers..... the author uses well known theories to help you understand what really drives you such as "Hollands code".

This IS AN AMERICAN BOOK however the information IS RELEVANT as it helps you analyse your personality, so its not a book solely dependant on information on the US job industry.

This book will take you on a journey of self discovery and make you realise that is ok to be who you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! A must buy for creative types struggling with career, 23 July 2004
rachelcreative (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If you're a creative or arty type - or if you just don't seem to quite fit in this is a great book. Practical, sensible, easy to read. At last a book that explains why I'm different and useful as an arty type - instead of just weird!

It's American focused but acknowledges differences for UK readers and it still works.

Has helped me to make moves towards a more creative career, given me lots of inspiration and validation - and even made working in my office IT job easier now I understand why I feel so different to those around me!

If you're struggling with knowing what job to do and you are creative then this is a great book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wise book, 13 Feb 2006
William Cohen (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm 37 so you think I would have solved the problem of what I'm going to do with my life by now.
Well it was worth reading this book, particulary as my problem is not what to do, but how to earn a good living doing it. Eikelberry is particulary good at identifying the cross you have to bear as a 'creative' person - other people have yearnings to do what you're doing, but they express that as hostility towards you. They don't have the courage to give up the day job or the dedication to make something of their aspirations.
I work as a speechwriter - and the book is packed with super quotations and inspirational messages which I can refashion for my clients. All in all a great book if you are just coming out of university or if you are just unsure what you're doing is the right thing at any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creates a clear understanding of your value, 11 April 2009
Finally, a wonderfully brief book that enables you to succinctly articulate your value and therefore clearly see where that fits in a career context. I had read many career books and received advice from countless people - but never before managed to confidently understand where I might fit in.

The author's insightful look at the creative mind is very helpful, but it is three questions that enable you to move purposely forward in your career search:
- What are you sensitive to?
- What do you intuitively do?
- How do you express these?

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 26 Mar 2004
Joe Mendonca "Joe Journeys" (London) - See all my reviews
At last, something for me! This book clearly defines 'creative' and expands my thinking of what 'creative' is. Career choices and more career choices..., there is something out there... this will help you understand what in particular that should be..

5.0 out of 5 stars Some good insights, 26 May 2014
I laughed so much in certain parts of this book... it is one of those books where it feels as if the author has somehow gained access to your subconsciousness and is spitting the truth back in your face, spelling it out very clearly for you, so you can wake up a bit. In other parts however, it is a bit common sense really and not all that new. Still, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book - easy to read and helped me out of a rut, 11 Nov 2012
This is written in a clear and interesting way and gives practical advice. The writer is obviously passionate about helping people to get onto the right track for them and looks at ways other people have done this - a number of approaches. It gave me some ideas and opened up some possibilities.

To avoid disappointment though, I'll warn you that the website containing extra tools to help you didn't give access to the tools she mentioned. The link/page was broken. But the book's useful enough on its own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, 28 July 2010
Provides a good insight into different careers that are available. A useful tool in looking at what careers are available to creative types of people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking., 12 Aug 2009
I am working my way through a billion of these books and
have discovered that very few are written for creative people
(although some masquerade as doing so). This is clear,
constructive, efficient and visual and so worth the money.
Honestly, hats off to Eikleberry(author), who really gives a damn
and has dedicated her career to researching how creatives
operate. Fab.

Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional Peopl
Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional Peopl by Carol Eikleberry (Paperback - 31 Mar 2007)