5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect ice cream book
Published on 9 May 2009 by Charlotte Nutt

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed!
I have been making ice cream a while now and have mainly used online recipes and recipes from cheap books. Since I started to get good at making it I researched some ice cream books on amazon and this book got an incredible average customer review so I thought I would give it a try. Unfortunately, many of the recipes I have tried have been very disappointing! Some recipes...
Published 23 months ago by Alfie

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect ice cream book, 9 May 2009
Charlotte Nutt (Brighton UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accessories (Hardcover)
I stumbled across the author when I was looking for help on the web on how to make caramel. Then I spotted his salted butter caramel ice cream recipe, which is frankly the best ice cream I've ever tasted (not in this book incidentally, but don't let that stop you buying it). So I asked for his book for my birthday and I have not been disappointed. The Gianduja Gelato (choc praline) is amazing, and there are a host of accompaniments, sauces and vessels to go with the ice cream. There is a section at the start about the basics which is useful if you're new to ice cream making. And he writes personal little notes about each recipe that I find really interesting. Lots of fab pictures too. If in doubt, google "salted butter caramel ice cream", make that and then you'll know why you need to buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best ice cream book in existence? I think so..., 22 July 2009
onion (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a sensational book. I have a couple of other cookbooks on icecreams but this is the best, hands-down.

It contains an almost overwhelming number of recipes (for icecreams, sorbets, other frozen desserts and other elements to serve alongside like sauces, cookies etc). It has great photography, the author is warm and informative, based on straightforward ingredients.

So far I have made the vanilla frozen yoghurt, the strawberry frozen yoghurt and the vietnamese coffee ice cream. All 3 have worked perfectly - the vietnamese coffee icecream, in particular, was the best coffee icecream I've ever tasted.

The only teeny negative point I can think of is the text lacks a bit of the cheeky, outrageous tone you get from the author's blog. But that's it. I now want to buy every other book David has written!

5.0 out of 5 stars Y to the U to the MMY ! (YUMMY), 15 Jan. 2011
Do not buy this book if you are on a diet, or if you might go on one soon...

The book truly is full of utter deliciousness! I bought it recently, along with an ice-cream making attachment for my Kenwood, so I was/am a total beginner in the world of making ice-cream. This book has everything that I was looking for:

- a solid introduction detailing how ice-cream is made, how the different ingredients work together, plus tips and tricks etc.
- A wealth of recipes, that really do work, from the basic to the more esoteric
- Engaging writing

There really is every type of recipe in here, from far from 'bog-standard' vanilla and chocolate etc, to the literally sublime chocolate-peanut butter. Mmmmm!!
There is also a chapter on sorbets and sherbets, another on Granitas, and finally Sauces and Toppings and then Mix-Ins.

I cannot say I have made much of a dent in all the recipes form this book...just counted, there are 73 recipes in the ice-cream chapter alone! And that is not including the sorbets, granitas etc. But everything I have made has been easy for a beginner to understand, and has really worked. And has been delicious.

Despite my addiction to buying cookbooks, I genuinely won't need nor buy another ice cream book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book - especially for beginners!, 15 May 2012
A great cookbook. I was so impressed with it that I have bought it as a gift for a friend. I have a simple ice cream maker, the type where you freeze the bowl before you use it. When I first used the book I had never made ice cream before.
The recipes are varied, simple and easy to follow. Try the cinnamon ice cream as an alternative to vanilla - its delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Ice Cream, 18 Feb. 2012
L. Ross (Worcester UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after reading many of the existing reviews.
My expectations were high and they were not disappointed. The recipe for Chocolate sorbet turned out to be superb - the chocolate sorbet turned out creamy with a lovely strong taste of chocolate. I used the very best cocoa I could buy. I have also made lemon ice cream which was fine but next time I will try the lemon sorbet. When the fresh fruit comes back in season I'm looking forward to trying some of the fruit ice creams and sorbets. The book is beautifully written and the recipes easy to follow. Indeed A Perfect Scoop in every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely ice cream book, 17 Jan. 2012
Recently my mum bought an ice cream maker and I bought her this book after seeing a recipe featured on the bbc food website by the author which looked fab.

This book certainly did not disappoint, there are some stunning recipes and I'm thinking of buying a 2nd copy for our house. The instructions are well written and the photography is great, but moreover the recipes are stunning.

Very very happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth giving up shop bought ice cream for!, 15 Jan. 2011
I stumbled upon this book when looking for a place to start making ice cream using a machine and was initially impressed by the sheer variety of recipes on offer (I would never have thought to include cheese in an ice cream before reading this book!).

When it arrived I was incredibly impressed by the sheer detail offered into how to master the basics - how to make a custard, how long to leave flavours to steep and even such simple concepts as using cool mixtures in the machine rather than warm.

Once I'd mastered the basic vanilla I couldn't wait to start tucking into some of the more exciting recipes and to date I have made the following:
Dark chocolate raspberry
Coconut
Sour Cream strawberry
Peanut butter and chocolate
Pear and caramel
Pear & Pecorino cheese

And (with the exception of the cheese one which I found a bit too crazy for my palette) they have all been delicious (particularly the pear caramel / coconut) and since buying this book I have given up my haagen dazs habit as everything coming out of this book tastes so much better :)

Bottom line - if you have an ice cream machine or are at all serious about ice cream, this book is an essential purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and knowledgeable, 14 Sept. 2012
I absolutely love this book, and I'm very demanding when it comes to recipe books. Not for me are books that contain lots of photos but not much in the way of recipes, or those that sell a lifestyle without actually giving you authoritative advice on cooking techniques. But this one is just brilliant. As well as providing hundreds upon hundreds of carefully worked-out, utterly reliable recipes (have a look at the Index in Search Inside if you don't believe me), Lebovitz is extremely good at explaining technique and showing you exactly what to do. The book is really quite comprehensive - as well as the obvious variants like gelato, Philadelphia-style, sorbet and granita, it also tells you how to make other bases, for example with soured cream or condensed milk, and gives recipes for sauces, mix-ins - such as candied nuts - and even 'vessels', like cones.

Also, I love the slightly goofy picture of Lebovitz holding an ice cream cone on the back flap. You can see it in his eyes that he loves ice cream as much as I do!

5.0 out of 5 stars There goes my waisteline!, 12 Jan. 2013
I have reviewed a few ice cream books but I have the idea that this one is the best of all! Still I am also happy with the other books I reviewed as each, even the two very simple ones come with some very good recipes! What I do now that I have both, The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas and Sweet Accompaniments and Ices: The Definitive Guide is that I compare the recipes they both have in common and choose the one that appeals most to me. And recipes I find appealing use less sugar something I think that David Lebovitz takes good care of! I have no interest in eating an ice cream with almost more sugar than fruit and which only makes me very thirsty! I have just finished reading this book and marking the recipes I want to make (which is most of them!) but so far I have tried the Cranberry-Orange Sorbet which is very tasty but due to the fact that cranberries are very difficult to find where I live I might not make it very often. Also, although it has a truly beautiful color and a very good taste no one would guess that it is made with cranberries. I added Grand Marnier, as David suggests and which makes the sorbet more scoopable and served it in the Lemon-Poppy Seed Cookie Cups (only I changed the lemon for orange as the first time I made it I found the lemony flavour a bit strong. I got the recipe totally wrong the first time so I ended up breaking it into pieces and eating them. The second time it all looked a lot better but this is a recipe with a lot of fat. Next time I might make a recipe I made once which is quite similar but doesn't include the almonds or the poppy seeds as I think that it was less fat. I served marinated strawberries into the cups which were quite delicious!

I have to confess that I have no idea exactly what granitas are, except that they are kind of softer sorbets. I don't know whether one drinks them, eats them with a spoon or why one wouldn't just eat a sorbet instead. David says that one can serve them with a scoop of ice cream or sorbet on the top or serve the granita on the top of them. One can also serve them in a glass with a bit of some strong drink or wine but I have no idea how that works. I wish I could try it made by someone who knows what they are doing.....

Anyway, this is a book full of great ideas and written by a person who is very obviously in love with ice cream. He also has a great sense of humour and it is a joy to read all the short texts that come with the recipes! I think that although I live in France I will be able to find most of the ingredients! The photos are quite appealing as well! I wish David had thought of repeating all the combinations in all the recipes as some of them are only mentioned with the sauces for example so I am writing them down in each recipe otherwise I maybe won't think of trying all the options (easier to do it when you have the book online though and can copy and paste!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further, 9 Aug. 2012
I bought this book at the same as Lola's one (also available on Amazon). I've been told by a number of people that Lola's is the best ice cream book on the market. Having gone through them both, I beg to differ....!

Lebowitz' enthusiasm and sense of child-like wonder about ice cream really comes through in this book, whilst I find Lola's a bit cold (pardon the pun) and scientific. Lebowitz has a larger variety of recipes, sometimes giving custard and non-custard varieties of the same one for when you absolutely positively need ice cream as soon as humanly possible. The range and inventiveness of the recipes is also incredible - so far I've done bog standard vanilla (with a berry swirl), roasted banana, butterscotch and pecan and avocado (inspired) and they have all come out brilliantly. There are some properly weird sounding ones (cracked black pepper ice cream anyone?) which just sound so mental that they must be good. Next up - caramelised pear.

Whilst I have yet to try the sorbets, sherbets or granitas I have every confidence that they will also be delicious.

The book itself is very nicely put together, with hints, tips and serving suggestions available on most recipes. I find this gives me the confidence to muck about a little and put my own spin on things. Although this does mostly involve just adding a shot of bourbon to everything. Mmmmm grown-up ice cream...

Oh - I would recommend investing in an ice cream machine too. Makes life so much easier and gives you a much creamier final product with no ice crystals in.

The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accessories