5.0 out of 5 stars Not usually my sort of book
I don't buy this sort of book - I work in IT and prefer 'facts'. I bought it on a whim - and have read most of it (you can dip in and out). Comes across as a sound, well crafted, non opinionated, set of scenarious on thinking outside the norms - with examples, and, it also happens to be a very good read - recommended
Published on 26 Oct. 2009 by Adam T. Cearns

3.0 out of 5 stars Author paid by the kilogram?
Published on 24 May 2012 by G. K. Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not usually my sort of book, 26 Oct. 2009
Adam T. Cearns "Adam_TC" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Author paid by the kilogram?, 24 May 2012
G. K. Taylor - See all my reviews
Personally I do not rate this book as highly as other reviewers. The first third of the book is quite interesting, but by the time I got half way I was beginning to wonder if the author was being paid by the word. By the end of the book I was certain he was paid by the kilogram, for the mission runs out of steam to become a gathering of mopped up bits and pieces plus any other sketchy thoughts that could be wrapped within the cover. Raw creativity becomes overcooked mush.
Nor do I like much the authors self-indulgent style which accounts for about 25% of the book weight. The book is twice the size it needs to be and as such quite boring - creative people seldom have enough time because thoughts are always going on, so even the luxury of reading inspirational books has to be carefully managed, which makes taking the time to read this book a little hard to justify. Had the author had taken the trouble to distil the content and messages it would have been better, punchier and SHORTER. My copy sits on my shelf taunting me over the amount of time I spent reading the tome. In the spirit of creative thinking I suggest readers cut the book in half: read the first half of the book and use the second half as a door jam or to keep a table level on an uneven surface.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ideatoys, 31 Jan. 2012
I haven't read extensively the book. It proved not what i was looking for. Anyway i will write a couple of words, the way i saw it.
I think the book should be called "Ideatoys" because it is about techniques to help someone create ideas about new products. It is probably intended to help business people.
It seems to me mostly like a collection of techniques, where you choose the ones that fit you mostly and apply it, so you can create a new product, or a process, invent something new etc. Probably you ll have to do some more work on them on your own. There are so many techniques, with examples and a nice presentation. I think its a reference book, to get you to know all these techniques, but they are not adequately represented. So you ll have to find the ones that suit you and get deeper to them by other resources.
I didn't notice a central structure. It doesn't take you from the hand and guide you throughout any process. The chapters aren't related to each other. There is not an evaluation of all these techniques to help you choose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly inspirational....., 24 Jan. 2008
Nomesky (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
I feel compelled to put in my 'tuppence' worth about this book but in truth have very little to add to the other reviews. This book is a fantastic resource. It sets out "linear", "intuitive" and other techniques to assist in the generation of fresh ideas for business.

It actually makes the process enjoyable and I have found myself using the techniques in this book to solve business challenges, in unrelated fields, just to keep my mind fresh.

The techniques taught can also help in solving day-to-day dilemmas by helping come up with creative solutions.

A truly remarkable, and amazingly inspirational, book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinkertoys, 12 May 2013
A brilliant book. Entertaining and challenging with some wonderful ideas for 'tricking' yourself to be creative (even if you don't think you can be).

5.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook for creativity, 19 Mar. 2010
Jurgen Wolff (London, England) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:51 Mins

Jurgen Wolff, author of "Creativity Now!" tells what makes this a great book to have by your side when any creative challenges arise. Creativity Now: Get Inspired, Create Ideas and Make Them Happen - Now!

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 29 Jan. 2014
Easy to read, well structured and usefull information.
I recommend this book for anyone who is looking for new idea generation and boost their creative thinking

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 10 Feb. 2015
Just a fantastic book, this book really has some great techniques to stir your creative flow! I will always come back to this book for a starting point for my own creativity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful range of thinking techniques, 16 July 2010
Thinkertoys provides a substantial range of tools and techniques for creative thinking, including examples of where the tool has been used and how. This makes it easy to pick up and look for a suitable approach for the issue you face and to apply that immediately.
A good compilation of lots of well-known approaches and a few more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots and lots of food for thought, 30 Mar. 2010
I originally borrowed this book from the library but had to buy it because there is so much in it and it will warrant several read-throughs and also be a good book to come back to. The creativity ideas are fascinating, practical and a great help in looking at challenges and opportunities in a different way. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques by Michael Michalko (Paperback - 31 July 2006)