Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 September 2011
We loved the original moosewood cook book: it had great basic veggie recipes and our book had fallen apart from use. So we got this one in the hopes of finding new staples for our palette and now those of our kids (i.e., we are looking beyond the chicken nugget).

Unfortunately, we have tried quite a number of recipes from this book and have found all of them essentially duds - not a single one has joined our favorite list. They seem esoteric and contrived to us, kind of thrown together rather than the excellent ones that were really used in the original restaurant. (The latter includes a great spinach lasagna, the former such oddly bland things as "hot marinated cauliflower".)

While it could be that these recipes are subtle variations for some hard-core vegetarians, my wife - who was a strict vegetarian for years, pre-me - finds nothing to recommend this book. In our view, the book really doesn't have anything genuinely new and good to add, but is a simple commercial knock-off.

Not recommended. We believe it is better to find vegetarian recipes that are found in ethnic cookbooks, in context, rather than slapped together make-shift books like this.
on 3 January 1997
Imagine these foods: Fresh potato bread, tangy marinated pasta salad, oven-baked carob swirl bread, sweet glazed muffins, calzones filled with onions, zucchini, and mozzarella cheese, AND spicy enchiladas with sauce - all delicious and healthy! This has to be my favorite cookbook. I never thought I could find recipes for foods that my two vegan cousins would eat. There is even a recipe for mayonnaise without eggs! This book makes it easy to be a vegetarian.
on 9 December 1998
The vegetarian recipes in this wonderful cookbook reflect many different ethnic cooking styles, and use a wide variety of ingredients. The charming illustrations guide you through blintzes, enchiladas, breads, cheesecakes, and more. Yummy!
on 2 September 1998
I love this book. It's full of mouth watering & healthy tucker ... special stuff like ...poppy seed and cheese pastry...sweet potato pie YUM YUM!! and ...eggplant roulade...mushroom& tahini sauce...yum yummmmmmmmmmm'
on 11 April 2010
The recipes in this book are delicious, healthy, easy and fun to make. There is something for everyone, even if not vegetarian. Many of the recipes are impressive and beautiful looking, but are deceptively easy.

I highly recommend this cookbook. It is beautifully hand written and illustrated, making it that much more fun to use.
on 1 August 2014
Yes this is an older style of cookbook, complete with black and white illustrations and hand-drawn lettering throughout, to the extent where the colour photos almost look out of place! Yet it is still one of my favourites, and contains recipes which are reliable, simple, but are always complimented.
The book starts with a table of conversions, imperial to metric, which I use frequently.
The chapters included are: soups, salads, breads, sauces dips and spreads, entrées, desserts, as well as chapters on menu-planning, improvisation of recipes, and lists of low fat and vegan recipes included.

Personally, I like the fact that it covers more than just the step-by-step recipes you get in some books. For instance, the chapter on tofu takes you through what sort to buy, how to marinade it etc... before it looks at individual recipes.
on 5 May 1998
This is my all time favorite cookbook. The recipes are great, and the hand-written text and hand-drawings make it a better experience.
on 29 August 2011
A store cupboard standby from the eighties..so glad its been re-printed. Brilliant for veggies who want something a bit special for a celebration or for bored cooks looking for a different take on vegetables. I've made many of the recipes and they are well worth investing a bit more time on as the end result always satisfies the palate.
on 19 January 2011
I just came back from the post office, after finding subject book in the post box. ( ignore my previous comment about still waiting for the book, sent earlier today!)
My wife has looked through the book and is really pleased to have it. She looks forward to cooking many of the soups.
on 22 November 2013
Really amazing veg cookbook, beautifully illustrated and some really unusual recipes as well as useful info! Magical! Only downside is no pictures so you can't see what the final thing will look like, but maybe that just encourages you to use your imagination more!