5.0 out of 5 stars I only wish I could rate it higher
Published on 31 Aug. 2007 by seeker

3.0 out of 5 stars Too American
I should state immediately that I am clearly not part of the target demographic for this book. My impression is that the book is aimed at American teenage girls. Aged sixty-eight, I'm probably more than fifty years too old for this. Really, I shouldn't mark this book down for its not being aimed at me.

I'd also like to say that I agree wholeheartedly with...
Published 8 months ago by P. F. Jeffery

5.0 out of 5 stars I only wish I could rate it higher, 31 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman's Guide to Why Feminism Matters (Paperback)
I have read stacks of books on feminism. And no other book has inspired me more (maybe tieing with Manifesta and Grassroots, read those too). This book is good for younger feminists who need to cut through the rhetoric to the simple truths of why the women's movement is still important. Maybe you shouldn't give this to your preteen daughter, as the author does use some crude language to get her point across, but it doesn't take away from the quality of the book to older readers. Full Frontal Feminism makes you think, and contrary to what other reviewers say, it doesn't bash men and even applauds the efforts of some men and their organizations. But then, the assumption that women are people too may bother some people. I highly recommend this book to everyone who has ever said "I'm not a feminist but..." It's awesome and gives some great ideas as to how to bring feminism into your daily life. Read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy, compelling intro to why feminism still matters, 28 Jun. 2007
Kaye L. Elling "K_0" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I really enjoyed this book, as it is a fresh, contemporary look into why Feminism is still as important today as it was 30 years ago.

Valenti has a highly accessible writing style; the prose is fun, contains the odd swear-word for amusement or effect, and shies away from the high-brow academic tone seen in other texts on the subject. This is very much a light "polular sociology" book and a joy to read - I didn't get bored or bogged down in rhetoric too much, even if I did disagree with some of her ideas about hyphonated surnames in marriage, for example.

I get the impression this book is squarely aimed at the under 25 American woman, and being a 34 year old Brit, felt that I was a little too old and too British for some of the issues raised (hence the 4 stars), but was equally glad to see the torch being passed on to a new generation of women, some of whom take a lot of freedoms for granted and who might not be as aware of Feminist issues as they should be.

I would recommend this book to any woman under the age of 35 who is exploring the more contemporary issues facing womankind in the West, and if you have a daughter/sister/cousin/niece/friend aged 16 to 25, this book could change her outlook on life.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start, 21 Jan. 2014
I really like Valenti, she writes in a chatty, informal way that makes you feel like she's having a passionate conversation with you, rather than you're reading a lecture. I've purchased two of her other books and really enjoyed them. She brings a fresh and enjoyable take to feminism and I think this book is a great place for anyone (especially young women) to start if they are interested in feminism - and they really should be. The only thing that I dislike is her use of swear words, I think that the language prevents this from being a great book to give to intelligent 11-14 year olds. But that's personal choice, I suppose.

I bought the updated version - the one with the white brick wall with black an purple writing on. Aside from preferring this cover, this edition includes a new foreword and some editing to make it more trans* inclusive. I recommend buying this version of the book.

It's easy to read, informative without being overloading and too academic. It points out things that we just accept and she offers up realistic ways to combat problems and try to change your views and make a difference.

Valenti takes the "sex positive" view of many things, some of which directly go against what my favourite feminist author - Ariel Levy says in "Female Chauvinist Pigs" (which I also recommend), however this view seems to be very dominant in the feminist community at the moment so it's not really a surprise.

I gave her only four stars because of a few reasons:

1. There is still a lack of trans* and LGB inclusion, although she's clearly trying.
2. The mainstream feminist view on sex is tiring and she doesn't seem to truly look at why she disagrees with Levy's stance - which I would really like to have read.
3. The swearing is just a little too heavy and I find it brings the tone down a little and could put some people off.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous introduction, 20 Mar. 2008
Valenti's book is well researched and written in an accessible, yet non condescending style. If you have read much feminist literature before, this is perhaps not the book for you, it doesn't assume any prior knowledge, and spends quite a lot of time combating media stereotypes and explaining what feminism is and both how much has been achieved and how far we have to go. The chapter on what men stand to gain from feminism is excellent, more men need to read this!

If I had a teenage daughter, I would be handing this over to her without a second thought, however, if you (like me) were brought up on a diet of Naomi Wolf and Betty Friedan, you may find yourself longing for something a little meatier. I also felt it was aimed at a slightly younger woman.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too American, 19 Sept. 2014
P. F. Jeffery "Pet Jeffery" (London) - See all my reviews

I'd also like to say that I agree wholeheartedly with the book's basic message: we should all be feminists. I think that young and old, women and men alike, should all be feminists. Feminism offers perspectives which could enable us to build a better world for everybody.

So, why aren't I giving this book five stars? For one thing, as several other reviewers have noted, swear words crop up quite regularly. As such, I don't object to it. There are a lot of things for which the most vile expletives are entirely appropriate -- the violence and harassment, for example, that too many women face. But the swearing in this book is not of that sort. It appears to be part of an attempt to be cool. If it works, I can only applaud it, but I wonder. Might teenagers find this book patronising? Might reading it prove counterproductive? At my age, I don't truly know the answer to that -- but it's a question mothers should consider before giving this to their daughters.

My other doubt about this book is implied by my heading. It is self-evidently very American. When Ms Valenti wishes to cite an example of anything, she draws it from her own country. Very near the start, she writes of the Republicans and the Democrats, and I had the impression of being drawn into an exclusively American world. Of course, the ideals of feminism apply equally on both sides of the Atlantic, and the generality of the struggle is not limited to a single country. That said, conditions in Britain, and Europe generally, are not the same as those in the USA. An excellent example of this comes with Ms Valenti's references to access to birth control -- where the American experience is clearly very different from the British.

So, I have knocked off no stars from the maximum of five because the book is clearly aimed at teenagers. One star has gone because of my strong suspicion that young people may find the tone patronising. A second star has gone because parts of the book do not speak to the British experience. I suppose that, were I reviewing this for Amazon.com, I'd give it four stars. For British teenagers it has to be reduced to three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 18 Sept. 2007
This book is absolutely brilliant! Feminist issues that are written in a language that we can all understand and relate to.
What an eye opener, I had no idea that reproductive rights were such an issue in the US, I just wish that we had a UK version.
Buy one for yourself and spread the word by buying one for your friend too!

3.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 17 July 2011
I enjoyed this book and applaud its overall goal - to get women talking and being active on feminist issues. I was actually inspired to donate money to womens aid after reading this book and to think about ways in which I can be more active - job done.
I do feel however, that this book is most suitable to a younger audience (teenager to early 20's) The chatty internet blogging type tone was somewhat off putting to me and I would have preferred if academia was not glossed over/dismissed so quickly by Valenti. I was left with the impression that the topic was being dumbed down.
The writer is American and the website feministing which you are pointed to in the book has its focus on America - for example closing of clinics in America, republican politics etc which is interesting however, if you are in UK and want to be active where do you go? I would like to see a similar book with reference to the UK and a little less dumbing down.
All of that said I do recommend you read this book and share it with any young women you know (providing a few sweary words dont make your blood boil)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great modern intro to feminism, 19 May 2009
D. Armstrong - See all my reviews
Really easy to read intro to feminism today - was embarrassed by how little I already knew and shocked at the ways in which women are still disadvantaged in the west in the 21st century. Very enjoyable read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 Dec. 2010
DefectiveStoat (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
I like the book and admire it's aims which I do think it has achieved- a punchy, edgy and relevant introduction for young, perhaps naive, women on the topic. It is trying to convince women that their common issues with lfie and men mean they are feminist- and I can applaud that.

I found the book a little lacking in depth and found the writing style chatty and unprofessional in some places, and found Levy's Female Chauvnist Pigs and Walter's Living Dolls much more insightful with regards to the true problems women face in modern society today.

As an introduction to feminism for the curious female (or male, like myself), it is a very good starting point; but it will definitely leave you wanting more. I refer you to the aforementioned titles to give you a deeper look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 12 May 2010
Ms. L. Clarke "leigh90" (england) - See all my reviews
I agree with others that this is a book for rhose not offende by swearing! Personall, I felt that the swear words were often powerful and funny, used to a good effect,

I would say that there are too many depressive facts in this book so not one to read if you're on a downer!

However, it has made me realise how important it is that woman stand together for change and how far we have to come! I wish there was a UK version though because some of the notions and statistics stand out for being American.

This book is very witty and staright talking which you can't help but admire. I would reccommend it for anyone interested in feminism and some captivationg and shocking information.

Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman's Guide to Why Feminism Matters
Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman's Guide to Why Feminism Matters by Jessica Valenti (Paperback - 27 Mar. 2007)
Used & New from: £3.85