on 16 September 2008
I'm sooooo pleased I bought this (and her next book too) it's just what I needed to get the creative juices flowing.
Really clear suggestions and what materials to use etc etc. Lots of juicy pictures to get you reaching for whatever media takes your fancy.
If you want to start journaling (and want to express your thoughts creatively) for whatever reason this is a great book to show you how.
I now don't just want to journal in a personal diary type way I want to do ones on millions of other topics too.
on 4 February 2009
I found this a great source of information on materials, media, techniques etc. with the unexpected reward of opening up a whole host of new horizons to cast my mumblings towards.

It's not a step by step guide by any means and neither was I looking for such; there are other publications offering just such when and if required.

If, however, you are looking for a foundation in "journal Friendly"; paper types, inks, paints, adhesives and the like, lavishly garnished with the work of others then ADD TO BASKET and you won't be disappointed.

Now, where are those water brushes....
on 25 May 2010
Bought this as a first book for journaling. Good range of ideas that can be adapted or expanded. Bought alongside Sue Roddis' Handmade Decorative Books which has good info on construction of various book styles.
on 5 January 2010
I absolutely love this book - it is a constant inspiration for me. I read it nearly every day and always become motivated to do something different for my journal. It is not that it is so unique or original, just written in an informative and attractive style to inspire self-confidence in the less imaginative and less gifted artist such as myself. It also has very good sections on materials, especially paints, and excellent sections on presentation ideas.
on 28 June 2011
I love this book. It explains methods and techniques for creating sketchbooks and journals as well as having inspiring ideas. It details different tools and equipment, (paint, inks, pencil etc) shows how to adapt shop bought journals and then shows how to make a couple of simple hand bound books.

I was surprised that some reviewers gave it only 3 stars, but I suppose everyone has their own personal taste. I have 4 books on journal making and this is by far my favorite.
on 6 March 2012
Lots of wonderful ideas and advice with beautiful pictures. I bought this book on a whim but was very pleased when it arrived. I now find myself far more confident with my journals and am reducing the pile of very nice but very empty sketch pads and notebooks that I just can't resist buying. They are now filling up with entries and photographs spurred on by Gwens sensible and supportive advice.
on 10 July 2010
A very interesting book, suitable both for those who, like me, working in Graphic Design, that those who are not very able at drawing.

The different kinds of Art Journals are perhaps described not enough depth, and instead are very interesting the historical references.

The part I liked most is the final one, which explains any simple techniques of bookbinding, that may allow to realize own art journal in the desired format.
on 20 May 2010
Very good technical detail concerning papers, glues and paints, as well as enough inspirational material to get even the most timid journalers started. Even better than her first book, and one I'm glad to have on my shelf.
on 27 May 2011
This is a nice book but there are a rather lot of similar books on the shelf like this, I'm pleased I have it but no real surprises.
on 31 July 2011
this is a nicely presented book with examples of the decorated books from various artists which I really loved, a few more bigger examples would have made it even better. There is a good amount of useful information on materials and I also very much liked the end sections, which instruct on how to make your own journals from scratch. I think the book caters as a good source if inspiration for those who are looking to become avid journalers and also those you just want to dip thier toe in.