5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring eye candy for bookbinders
I love this book! I'm not much beyond the beginner stage, but it has already given me a lot of useful ideas. If you are just starting and want to make some simple journals, books like Alissa Golden's may be a better choice, but if you want lots of ideas for making unique journals with personalised touches, this book will do that for you.

After short sections...
Published on 13 May 2011 by J. Kosarew

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book
I found this book to be interseting and inspiring. It is full of beautiful photos, with clear instructions, plus a lot of information on the supplies and tools needed to complete each book.
Whilst it is hugley inspiring, I found that the beginning level was far above that of a novice, it would have benefitted from some easier projects and a few more diagrams.
I...
Published on 17 Aug 2003 by krissiesmiles2

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book, 17 Aug 2003
This review is from: Making & Keeping Creative Journals (Paperback)
I wouldn't recommend this as a first book in bookbinding, but I'm sure it would be of great use to the more experienced book artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring eye candy for bookbinders, 13 May 2011

After short sections on materials, tools and basic techniques, the majority of the book shows wonderful custom-made journals by people like Daniel Essig. There are short statements from both maker and client about the brief for each journal, then detailed instructions for making a similar one. Although the instructions are clear, I am not likely to copy any of these journals. For me, the value of this book will be in taking ideas from various projects and adapting them for my own journal-making. Don't let the complexity of some of the examples intimidate you - sometimes the simplest ideas technically are the most effective, and this book has plenty of good ideas.

Although there is a chapter on using journals, its focus is very much on making them. If you don't want to do that, just learn about visual journaling, there are better books for you - I like Gwen Diehn's The Decorated Pageand The Decorated Journal, and Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression by Diana Trout.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as I expected, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Making & Keeping Creative Journals (Paperback)
The item arrived in good time and was in good condition. However, it was not as I was expecting from the description and reviews - probably my mistake. I shall not be sending it back but I won't be keeping it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book of ideas, 12 Sep 2013
MANDY THOMAS (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Making & Keeping Creative Journals (Paperback)
another for my collection like I said before I studied hard and searched wide and long to get the right books for what I needed.

Making & Keeping Creative Journals
Making & Keeping Creative Journals by Suzanne J. E. Tourtillott (Paperback - 11 Sep 2003)
Used & New from: £0.87