Published on 5 Mar 2012 by Blossoming Suzy HomeBaker

2.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Judge This Book By The Cover
I bought The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook thinking it would have a lot of personality, given the delightful cover photo. I'd also read a couple of interviews with Cheryl and Griffith Day, the authors, along with the positive reviews here on Amazon, prior to ordering it. Alas, I am sorely disappointed.

I was expecting a book with personality, not another box...
Published 18 months ago by Marsha Coupe

5.0 out of 5 stars Go ahead, Treat Yourself ( to the book and to the amazing treats inside!), 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, The (Hardcover)
This beautifully written, amazingly photographed, book has revolutionised my time in the kitchen!!! I am a fairly confident cook, but the thought of baking brings me out in a cold sweat and a hot blush, or rather it did before I fell for the charm of this book cover and treated myself to the magical world of Back in the Day Bakery. This book is jam-packed full of yummy sounding recipes that are accompanied by such vivid stories that it somehow feels the memories being shared are already your very own. I feel so excited that from now on my own family will have fond memories of things we can bake and enjoy eating together. The most moist cupcakes you will ever try, cookies for every occasion and taste, and some extra special savouries for when it's time to give the sugar a rest. Step by step instructions and advice have made even the most reluctant of bakers feel like a real baker, and that, my friends, is sweet!

5.0 out of 5 stars US meets UK, 11 Mar 2012
First off, I can't bake
Second, I'm in the UK and have/had no idea what a stick of butter looked like (nearly half of one of our packets!)
A wander dowN to the south bank food festival and some guys there were doing American cupcakes, cookies etc
I didn't buy their book, I bought this.
Then I bought some cup measures, then I bought some spoon measures, then I bought a muffin tin, then I opened the book, £30 or so later.
First up doughnut muffins. Instructions to stir for x amount of minutes until it looks like y. Wally proof. Even brave enough to take them to work. Usually my cakes could make decent doorstops and not even my kids will eat them.
This time I'm hiding the cakes.
Confidence restored it's on to biscones, now I'm not sure the dried fruit in the picture looks like the "use any dried fruit" I used- prunes- but despite that they're still edible, and more than once for a token keep me happy moment.
Today it's pecan sandras. This means I will not venture anywhere near weighing scales for a few weeks/ months. They are excellent, I'm so chuffed with myself I wish my mum lived round the corner so that she could praise me too.
In the absence of mother I shall just brag about how good I am at baking.
Oh, and the book's quite good too;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming!, 28 May 2012
G. Mackie "Gilly" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, The (Hardcover)
A cook book which makes me want to try every recipe in it! The book is full of lovely glossy snaps of all the delicious cakes, breads and other baked goodies from this American bakery and Cheryl and Griffith come across as so charming, that you wish this bakery was nearby!

Easy to follow recipes, although some of the US ingredients are harder to source, but a quick search on the internet led me to where to buy, or what to substitute with.

The Hummingbird Cake I baked at the weekend was the best I have ever tasted! Moist, light and delicious and the icing so so sweet. Can't wait to try all the recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, The (Hardcover)
Love this book, very easy to use and the end results taste wonderful! Have tried five of the recipes so far and all were delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good., 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, The (Hardcover)
I was first put off by this book because it seemed all recipes required buttermilk and sour cream, which is the same as finding a diamond were I live. Meanwhile, I manage to get regular assess to both ingredients so I decided to get my hands into it.
I have tried 2 recipes from the book:
- The buttermilk biscones - came out great. I froze mine and baked them a couple of weeks later for a breakfast with my husband. He loved it. I loved it. It was the perfect balance between sweet and salty. I will use this recipe regularly;
- Cinnamon - sour cream coffee cake - It came out perfect. Sweet enough, moist and the streusel was really good. I just didn't use de cardamom, because I don't like it. Next time I will replace it by cinnamon.
I am planning to try several other recipes, so I will update my review as I go.

2.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Judge This Book By The Cover, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, The (Hardcover)

I was expecting a book with personality, not another box standard (yawn) cookery book. Unfortunately, beyond the cover and another small, appealing photo of the Days on the inside back flap, this book could have been written, designed and assembled by any number of mass production houses, specializing in such things. It's neat, tidy, professional, and soulless. With a handful of exceptions, the photos and recipes are nothing exceptional.

Oddly, there are no pictures of The Days in this book. NONE. And all the other photos are the kind of inexpensive, close-up food shots, every experienced food blogger does these days. The pictures have a bland, assembly-line feel to them. No passion. No fun. Nothing like the delightful looking couple on the cover.

If you compare the recipes with the recipes in other cookbooks you have, you likely won't find much new to inspire you. As another reviewer commented, you may recognize a number of recipes to be much like those contained in collections credited to Ina Garten.

Had I looked at "Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook" in a bookstore, I would not have purchased it. The inside doesn't reflect the plump, playful couple on the outside. I get no sense of who these lovely people are. The book fails to capture their essence. Remove the slip cover and it's one more cookery book lining the shelf of your local charity shop.

Post Script: A couple of weeks after posting this review, Paula Deen, who wrote the forward in The Day's cookbook, was dropped by Food Network for making raciest slurs. I had wondered, when reading the bland forward attributed to Deen, why the publisher thought the lead-in beneficial. If they re-print, I hope, for the Day's sake, it's omitted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Attractive photos but recipes do not work!, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, The (Hardcover)
I bought this book on the back of good reviews from Amazon and Goodread. Having read through the book and tried some recipes, they are nothing to shout about. I have problem with the chocolate bread recipe which seem to have provided incorrect steps or wrong ingredient proportions. Some recipes in the book are just loaded with way too much sugar. I scanned through the net for feedback from other readers and they shared similar feedback. In short, I will not recommend this book to inexperienced bakers. You need some experience to adjust the proportion and steps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious cakes!, 14 July 2012
This review is from: Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, The (Hardcover)
I bought this book last week and have been looking forward to using it. The recipes look lovely in all sections of the book with a nice intro to each one.
I have made the strawberry cupcakes which are fantastic and will definitely be a regular on my baking list! The quantities are measured in cups and as I don't have any, it was regular checking on the internet for conversions but this was easy enough. I found the recipe made about 30 cakes so I may reduce the quantity in future.
This is a fab book I look forward to trying more of the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love them, the back inthe day bakery cookbook is ..., 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, The (Hardcover)
firstly let me preface thsi by saying i have many many many cookbooks, i love them,
the back inthe day bakery cookbook is exactly as you would imagine if you had grown up in america in the 40's or 50's, however i didnt i grew up in ireland in the 80's... there unfortunatly isnt a great description of the origin or the basic of the recipies but they are easy to follow and the pictures are inspiring.
warning the recipies are in american measures which can be a challange to convert but the recipies work and if you have some americans to visit they will appriciate the effort.

3.0 out of 5 stars bit disappointed, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, The (Hardcover)
I had read the reviews and wasn't sure wether to order this or not. Its ok but not many photos of finished bakes and I like to have those as they inspire me to bake that item. As this is an american book maybe things are different over there, though I have had some really goog us cook books.

Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, The
Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, The by Cheryl Day (Hardcover - 13 Mar 2012)