Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 July 2011
I never write reviews (lazy, I know) but this book is so amazing, I had to tell everyone.
It offers a fantastic range of both classic and interesting, more innovative recipes, and each one is incredibly easy to follow and the results are delicious. And that's ice cream, sorbet AND frozen yogurt. I have had far more success using recipes from this book with my ice cream machine than with the recipes that actually came with the machine, whcih is fairly telling. I was a bit apprehensive because all the measurements are in American "cups", but a set of such cups is very easy to get hold of, and cheap - I would recommend doing that rather than trying to convert to Brit measurements.
Seriously, if you are looking for a book to give you both instruction and inspiration, you cannot go wrong with Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream.
44 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2012
This book is indeed for the american audience, but only in terms of ingredients. I don't use corn syrup and actually it isn't for sale where I live. I use lovely golden syrup instead and remove one tablespoon of sugar, as per Jeni's own instructions, when I contacted her to ask for advise. The answer was given to me on the same day. I loooooove this book!
on 17 May 2013
Having tried a few other different ice cream recipe books, this is the easiest and most fun set of recipes I've attempted.

There are only a couple of standard bases used for almost all the recipes, but the additional ingredients make each recipe wildly different.

There are a few points where you have to trust the book - some of the flavour combinations seem very odd on the page, but when put together work really well. The pineapple piment sorbet, with paprika and cayenne pepper is one of those, as are the cheese-based ice creams like goat cheese and roasted cherries.

There are plenty of boozy ices as well, such as cognac and fig, and each has a number of alternative suggestions using different flavours to achieve similar results.

Technique-wise there's nothing too intense here, as long as you can boil a pan of milk and melt chocolate you will be fine with everything. For the frozen yoghurt selections, the book tells you to strain plain yoghurt through cheesecloth/muslin overnight to thicken it, but my suggestion is to put two coffee filters in a sieve, fill them with yoghurt and put the whole lot over a bowl. Then just peel off the paper and add the thickened yoghurt when the recipe calls for it.
on 6 June 2013
I was really pleased when this book arrived. Not only did it arrive in super quick time it also contains all the information I was looking for on making homemade ice cream. It covers the science behind making ice cream - I'm sure not many people realise that there is a science to it. I thought you just whisked cream with sugar and egg yolks and hey presto you had ice cream. Not so - the amount of sugar can drastically alter the final outcome. Also, you don't have to use egg yolks, which I was really pleased about. You can use corn starch (flour) as a thickening agent as an alternative which also helps with absorbing all the liquid, thereby avoiding ice crystals. The only thing I would say is that Jenny only gives instructions for an ice cream making machine (which I don't have at present) but with a bit of trial and error I turned out a scrumptious vanilla and honey ice cream. Would definately recommend this book, especially if you like to know how/why things work.
on 6 January 2016
We bought this book after visiting Jeni's in Nashville twice in 24 hours. She makes astonishingly good ice cream and the excellent book makes it easy to replicate it at home. She's obsessive about avoiding ice crystals in her ice cream (as am I) and doesn't shy away from explaining why her retire flavour combinations are stunning. If you're remotely interested in making ice cream at home, this is the book for you. But it right now.
on 9 September 2013
I love love love this book. I regularly make ice cream finding it one of the easiest & nicest desserts & this book has taken my interest to a whole new level. Great recipes & very useful information about the "science" of ice cream making. Am so glad I bought this for my cookery book collection.
on 8 March 2014
Excellent method. Excellent recipes. I have tried a few different ways to make ice cream but Jenni's method is a foolproof way to get delicious scoop able every time.
on 6 December 2013
again bought as a Christmas gift, arrived quickly before estimate date , well packaged and as it was on a wish list hope it will be happily recieved
on 15 November 2014
When i make these recipes, friends tell me i have to start a shop. Husband, who never liked ice cream, now begs for it!
on 4 May 2016
Can't wait to try these exciting looking recipes in my ice cream maker. They look so different from the norm.