5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid indeed!, 10 July 2011
This review is from: Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream for the Home Kitchen (Hardcover)
I never write reviews (lazy, I know) but this book is so amazing, I had to tell everyone.
It offers a fantastic range of both classic and interesting, more innovative recipes, and each one is incredibly easy to follow and the results are delicious. And that's ice cream, sorbet AND frozen yogurt. I have had far more success using recipes from this book with my ice cream machine than with the recipes that actually came with the machine, whcih is fairly telling. I was a bit apprehensive because all the measurements are in American "cups", but a set of such cups is very easy to get hold of, and cheap - I would recommend doing that rather than trying to convert to Brit measurements.
Seriously, if you are looking for a book to give you both instruction and inspiration, you cannot go wrong with Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ice creams I ever made, 22 July 2012
This review is from: Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream for the Home Kitchen (Hardcover)
This book is indeed for the american audience, but only in terms of ingredients. I don't use corn syrup and actually it isn't for sale where I live. I use lovely golden syrup instead and remove one tablespoon of sugar, as per Jeni's own instructions, when I contacted her to ask for advise. The answer was given to me on the same day. I loooooove this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY SPLENDID, 6 Jun 2013
M. Porter - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream for the Home Kitchen (Hardcover)
I was really pleased when this book arrived. Not only did it arrive in super quick time it also contains all the information I was looking for on making homemade ice cream. It covers the science behind making ice cream - I'm sure not many people realise that there is a science to it. I thought you just whisked cream with sugar and egg yolks and hey presto you had ice cream. Not so - the amount of sugar can drastically alter the final outcome. Also, you don't have to use egg yolks, which I was really pleased about. You can use corn starch (flour) as a thickening agent as an alternative which also helps with absorbing all the liquid, thereby avoiding ice crystals. The only thing I would say is that Jenny only gives instructions for an ice cream making machine (which I don't have at present) but with a bit of trial and error I turned out a scrumptious vanilla and honey ice cream. Would definately recommend this book, especially if you like to know how/why things work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fail safe to get scoop able and delicious ice cream!!, 8 Mar 2014
Excellent method. Excellent recipes. I have tried a few different ways to make ice cream but Jenni's method is a foolproof way to get delicious scoop able every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice book, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream for the Home Kitchen (Hardcover)
again bought as a Christmas gift, arrived quickly before estimate date , well packaged and as it was on a wish list hope it will be happily recieved

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream for the Home Kitchen (Hardcover)
I love love love this book. I regularly make ice cream finding it one of the easiest & nicest desserts & this book has taken my interest to a whole new level. Great recipes & very useful information about the "science" of ice cream making. Am so glad I bought this for my cookery book collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book, wonderful story about her rise to success, 24 Aug 2013
Lisa Crossley (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream for the Home Kitchen (Hardcover)
I enjoyed the technical content and the biography about Jenni's rise to success, very heartwarming. the recipes look very tempting and are very different to all the other ice cream recipes I've seen as they often use cream cheese rather than egg yolk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and creative home-made ice cream, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream for the Home Kitchen (Hardcover)
Having tried a few other different ice cream recipe books, this is the easiest and most fun set of recipes I've attempted.

There are only a couple of standard bases used for almost all the recipes, but the additional ingredients make each recipe wildly different.

There are a few points where you have to trust the book - some of the flavour combinations seem very odd on the page, but when put together work really well. The pineapple piment sorbet, with paprika and cayenne pepper is one of those, as are the cheese-based ice creams like goat cheese and roasted cherries.

There are plenty of boozy ices as well, such as cognac and fig, and each has a number of alternative suggestions using different flavours to achieve similar results.

Technique-wise there's nothing too intense here, as long as you can boil a pan of milk and melt chocolate you will be fine with everything. For the frozen yoghurt selections, the book tells you to strain plain yoghurt through cheesecloth/muslin overnight to thicken it, but my suggestion is to put two coffee filters in a sieve, fill them with yoghurt and put the whole lot over a bowl. Then just peel off the paper and add the thickened yoghurt when the recipe calls for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best ice cream recipes ever!, 15 Nov 2014
When i make these recipes, friends tell me i have to start a shop. Husband, who never liked ice cream, now begs for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for ice cream lovers, 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream for the Home Kitchen (Hardcover)
The book arrived in excellent condition, and is all that I expected - from the reviews etc.... I highly recommend amazon and Jenis splendid Ice Cream....

Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream for the Home Kitchen
Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream for the Home Kitchen by Jeni Britton Bauer (Hardcover - 4 Jun 2011)