5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully researched
Published on 3 Dec. 2012 by Thiri Thant Mon

3.0 out of 5 stars I was happy to find an extensive Burmese cookbook
Being mixed race Burmese, I was happy to find an extensive Burmese cookbook. I have tried several recipes from this book and so far, the salads have really impressed. They've been full of flavour and fairly easy to assemble.

Published 8 months ago by Freya Coote

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully researched, 3 Dec. 2012
Thiri Thant Mon (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
I'm impressed with the breadth and depth of this book. I'm Burmese and have been searching for good Burmese cookbooks since I never learnt to cook at home and long for some home flavours while now living abroad. All the recipes I've tried so far have produced authentic-tasting results. I am grateful for that fact that the author presents the recipes as they are meant to be rather than trying to adjust to an audience who might not be used to more exotic foods. Brilliantly done!

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning book, 6 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
A beautiful book full of fascinating information on the history and people of Burma, together with some delicious recipes. I travelled in Burma several decades ago and was subjected to nothing but what we dubbed 'bone curry' of various descriptions, but I knew there had to be more to the local cuisine than that.

I was travelling with my mother, who died a few years ago, and we both fell in love with the warm hearted and welcoming people as well as the stunning scenery and architecture. It was wonderful to see the photos of places we had visited and remember our time together. I am enjoying cooking the recipes and remembering good times as I do so, and I know my mother would have enjoyed the food too, she always had a good appetite and was willing to try anything new.

Thank you for the recipes, and the lovely memories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Authentic and mouthwatering, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
I bought this for my Mum, for the recipes as much as the pictures and the writing. The travel by the author through all parts of Burma is really fascinating and the recipes are so good. It is something you might have to buy special products for but worth it in the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was happy to find an extensive Burmese cookbook, 31 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)

However, I have also attempted two meat dishes (Saucy Spiced Meat and Warming Beef Curry) which have been very disappointing. The Warming Beef Curry came out like more of a stew - the recipe instructs you to marinade the meat in shallots etc, bung it in a pot with water and leave to cook. As with most curries, the flavour comes from cooking your onions and making a curry paste first which the recipe fails to adhere to. The Saucy Meat recipe tells you to cook the potatoes first and then add the meat. This means the meat isn't given enough cooking time to develop any depth of flavour. It feels like some of the recipes haven't been tested before being published.

I shall be picky about what I choose to cook from this book in future and may alter recipes based on my basic knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem!, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
Bought this book as wanted some written recipes that would remind me of good old family cooking. The recipes are excellent, quite diverse (as in recipes from differnt areas/ tribes) and interesting, but what I REALLY liked was the author's commentary about her travels around Burma and the history of Burma that she included as well as some fantastic up to date pictures. It's almost a beautifully presented recipe book and travel guide in one! Made Rangoon Mohinga and probably should have made the plain one as am used to eating this as a clear broth; but is was still lovely. Would have liked a recipe for letho though :-(
BUY it and you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing present, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
Got this as a present for my mum, she loved it. Pictures really great, really interesting, great detail, food even better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Book, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
This is probably the best ever book written on Burmese food. Wonderful recipes and great text. This is a must have book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good bit some key recipes missing, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
The recipes called a bit too heavily for fish sauce over shrimp paste for my liking. It is my understanding, being of Burmese origin, that the vast majority of Burmese dishes require either shrimp paste or dried powdered prawns. Basically, this is good for Westerners looking to try Burmese dishes (which I guess most people buying this book will be).

The Burmese section in Charmain Solomon's Complete Asian Cookbook still trumps this although this makes a great companion as it has a lot more northern dishes.

Good for experimenting and trying out new stuff but I would go for Charmain Solomon first.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
Apart from being a superb cookbook, this is a beautifully presented book with lots of delightful photos and description of Burma, its people and its food. I have tried a few dishes and found the recipes easy to follow. The writer knows how to translate an intricate recipe into a delicious meal. Often the writer leaves helpful little foot-notes for left-overs or alternative recipe ideas.
I'd love to try out peanut and rice porridge because it reminds me of congee breakfast when living in Hong Kong.
My summer dishes will be full of Far Eastern flavours, particularly Burmese...

5.0 out of 5 stars The real thing..., 7 July 2013
S. Hopkins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
Bought as a Birthday gift for a friend who recently travelled to Burma. She said the recipes are spot on for the food she actually ate when out there. Very tasty and easy to make.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Burma: River of Flavors
Burma: River of Flavors by Naomi Duguid (Hardcover - 16 Oct. 2012)