5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully researched
Published 20 months ago by Thiri Thant Mon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good bit some key recipes missing
The recipes called a bit too heavily for fish sauce over shrimp paste for my liking. It is my understanding, being of Burmese origin, that the vast majority of Burmese dishes require either shrimp paste or dried powdered prawns. Basically, this is good for Westerners looking to try Burmese dishes (which I guess most people buying this book will be).

The Burmese...
Published 17 months ago by Rachael L Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully researched, 3 Dec 2012
Thiri Thant Mon (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
I'm impressed with the breadth and depth of this book. I'm Burmese and have been searching for good Burmese cookbooks since I never learnt to cook at home and long for some home flavours while now living abroad. All the recipes I've tried so far have produced authentic-tasting results. I am grateful for that fact that the author presents the recipes as they are meant to be rather than trying to adjust to an audience who might not be used to more exotic foods. Brilliantly done!

4.0 out of 5 stars Authentic and mouthwatering, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
I bought this for my Mum, for the recipes as much as the pictures and the writing. The travel by the author through all parts of Burma is really fascinating and the recipes are so good. It is something you might have to buy special products for but worth it in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
Apart from being a superb cookbook, this is a beautifully presented book with lots of delightful photos and description of Burma, its people and its food. I have tried a few dishes and found the recipes easy to follow. The writer knows how to translate an intricate recipe into a delicious meal. Often the writer leaves helpful little foot-notes for left-overs or alternative recipe ideas.
I'd love to try out peanut and rice porridge because it reminds me of congee breakfast when living in Hong Kong.
My summer dishes will be full of Far Eastern flavours, particularly Burmese...

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing present, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
Got this as a present for my mum, she loved it. Pictures really great, really interesting, great detail, food even better!

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem!, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
Bought this book as wanted some written recipes that would remind me of good old family cooking. The recipes are excellent, quite diverse (as in recipes from differnt areas/ tribes) and interesting, but what I REALLY liked was the author's commentary about her travels around Burma and the history of Burma that she included as well as some fantastic up to date pictures. It's almost a beautifully presented recipe book and travel guide in one! Made Rangoon Mohinga and probably should have made the plain one as am used to eating this as a clear broth; but is was still lovely. Would have liked a recipe for letho though :-(
BUY it and you won't be disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good bit some key recipes missing, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)

The Burmese section in Charmain Solomon's Complete Asian Cookbook still trumps this although this makes a great companion as it has a lot more northern dishes.

Good for experimenting and trying out new stuff but I would go for Charmain Solomon first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Book, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
This is probably the best ever book written on Burmese food. Wonderful recipes and great text. This is a must have book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real thing..., 7 July 2013
S. Hopkins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
Bought as a Birthday gift for a friend who recently travelled to Burma. She said the recipes are spot on for the food she actually ate when out there. Very tasty and easy to make.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointed, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
Far too many type styles - distracting and difficult to read. I found the non-cooking content superficial and lacking content. It is amazing that there are so few Burmese language names for the menu dishes - why on earth omit them? The food photos are good and recipes look interesting and I will be attempting them but overall I found the book disappointing. I was expecting something with more personality and meat in the travelogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: Burma: River of Flavors (Hardcover)
Brilliant book, really informative as well as yummy recipes. Fotos are beautiful and I now want to visit Burma as well as learn to cook burmese.

Burma: River of Flavors
Burma: River of Flavors by Naomi Duguid (Hardcover - 16 Oct 2012)
17.00