on 5 February 2006
Having made bread with a bread maker for 6 years, I wanted to develop my skills and knowledge, this book is fantastic.
The words describe every step in minute detail, the pictures are glorious and the results, too good for words. Buy this book, it has all the technical knowledge one could ask for and loads of great recipes. I have tried sourdoughs before, but this recipe is the grestest, long winded but the best.
I could almost throw away the bread maker, as the hand techniques produce a superior bread.
I can't recommend this book enough. The recipes take from 6 to 36 hours to make, but very little of that time is actively making the bread, I love it!!!
on 11 September 2012
I have had this book now for 5 years and it is the book I always come back to. I have other bread books that are very nice but tend to come with a master formula and different recipes around that formula. Not this book, it has a vast collection of different techniques and recipes with a practical layout for the amateur baker to get the best results. In-depth information and how it all works for those who would like to go a bit deeper. Very nice pictures so one can see how the finished product is supposed to look like and how-to photographs which I prefer to sketches as in some books. Most importantly the recipes work. Have made loads of lovely bread and one tends to get stuck with favourites. So a well rounded book on seriously good bread (actually the only book one needs to have). I highly recommend it, enjoy!
on 7 June 2011
Excellent book! We are just starting in the art of mixing bread, the book is pretty good and the results from the two breads we tried so far are very good...
Only thing is that being an american book, loads of the terminology about flours you have to do a bit of an exercise to get the terms to the UK, but sure it adds to the Fun :)
on 24 May 2007
Buy this book. It will make your life better. It will make you a better person. It'll inspire, motivate and intellectualate you. I made some bread the other day and had people asking me to make them some and share the recipe. It'll make you more friends and you'll even be more beautiful than you already are. Guaranteed! Bake Bakers!