Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Book of the Law: 100th Anniversary Edition
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£18.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on 11 April 2004
This is the book supposedly dictated through Aleister Crowley by the ancient Egyptian god Aiwass in 1904. It announces that the world is about to move from the age of the father to the age of the child (or the Age of Horus). In its apocalyptic quasi-King James Bible English it damns reason and compassion while exalting self-centredness.
This is what started Aleister Crowley on the path to modelling himself as “the Beast” and the “Master Therion.” It includes the famous motto “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law…Love is the Law, love under will.”
Gerald Suster cites this book as a premonition of the horrors to come upon an unsuspecting world during the first half of the 20th century.
It’s a small book – 50 pages with the rest taken up with a facsimile of the hand-written original. Written in such obscure language, I find it easier to take Suster’s interpretations rather than try to work out what’s actually trying to be said.
This is a chilling book if you believe in it – either that or fascinating. Whatever else he was or wasn’t, Crowley was an excellent poet.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I read this book some lengthy while ago and found it then a trifle incoherent as well as stylistically melodramatic and poetically victorian as well as a dense and obscure read-But that partly depends on ones background reading...It is very nineteenth century actually and having now heard the writers extraordinarily reedy and weedy voice courtesy of Amazon it would be better read than heard,I think...If you believe alchemy works then you might be instructed by this but there are in fact far more rational reads for the openminded wanderer between the worlds in Bob Munro and Sylvester Muldoon or even in the superb Lethbridge...But I still like it for just that element of berserk Victoriana by that curious combo of Libertine reactionary who could as easily become an aristocratic fascist or found a bohemian commune as Crowley might have been and did with his Thelemic philosophy of sex,drugs and jazz-And occult poetry,of course...The magic of this book,however,is in its its influence that inspired the kind of persons who in turn founded the Waffen SS,Led Zeppelin,psychedelia or who wrote Performance et caetera...I recommend some of Crowleys other works such as The Moonchild and take the suggestive Satanism with a pinch of salt...The book is a wyrd maze but not a handbook,I think,of astral travel or of magic powers or their attainment...I would call it an incoherent curio but then many people are,too,and we still read them.
on 21 June 1999
Helions does not have this book on its "must get" list but would suggest giving it a read through if you are interested in Thelema and/or a major Crowley fan.
on 10 November 2011
I was a wee bit disappointed that from page 75-139 was a hand-written account of what I'd already read from page 25-72. I was expecting to get more print for my money. However, I feel that I must give credit where credit is due. The book did arrive within the stated time and was in brand new condition, as described.