5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent material for those with a firm grasp of Qabalah., 6 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Cosmic Doctrine (Paperback)
This is an excellent book, packed with very weighty knowledge. You would need a firm grasp of the Qabalistic tree to make sense of most of it. While it's not an easy read it is crammed with information and images about the creation of the cosmos. It did make my brain ache at times, but was worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scientists eat yer heart out, 5 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Cosmic Doctrine (Paperback)
Oh My God.. I am still working my way through it, and i do not doubt for a moment that this book will take many reads before I have a firm grasp, but it is full of information, granted it works with the belief systems of the medium which is Dion herself, but I am stil able to recieve the information with my own abilities to read the undercurrent of information. This book will read like sterio instructions to one without prior experience of occult or higher mysterious whatever your gig be.
Not for the light reader, but defo for one who has an interest of the bigger picture....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 1 Oct 2013
E. Duffe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmic Doctrine (Paperback)
I'm not going to lie to you, you'll need some background in critical thinking in order to make any sense of this book. In other words, you'll need to forget everything you know and be open to the possibility that what you previously knew isn't necessarily true.

To me, The Cosmic Doctrine is a presentation of Universal Laws, all wrapped up in poetic language.

For more explanation on this, I have 2 ebooks available, Imploded by Kal Brooke and Into The Light by Ed O'Neill (a sort of autobiography).

If you rather poetic language, buy this, but if you rather straight forward info with no frills, you can look elsewhere.

As I've been saying for years, just because someone slaps a nice label on something, doesn't make it different other than on a superficial level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted!, 14 Feb 2008
D. Moore "Dawn" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmic Doctrine (Paperback)
I love Dion Fortune's work, but this book was a disappointment to me. It is a channelled work in which the being(s) involved gave Dion details of things which pertain to deeper spirituality and the origins of the universe.

I found this hard going, despite being quite well read on the subject of Qaballah. Like me, you may find yourself wondering what is actually meant by certain terminology. This book was written in the 1930's and its use of words such as "atoms" can lead to confusion since many of the ideas do not reflect today's accepted scientific ideas.

However, if you can see past the completely subjective nature of the information, there are some really interesting philosophical ideas to ponder upon in this book. Not least, it gives an interesting insight into Dion Fortune's mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridgehead between Kabbalah (Qabalah, QBL) and Theosophy, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Cosmic Doctrine (Paperback)
Many years have passed me by since I read this powerfully influential book - at least for me! I've always considered it to be the most profound book she'd written alongside 'The Mystical Qabalah'. I have been, and I still am, a student of Kabbalah and Theosophy, and for me this book stands as a bright bridgehead betweeen the two. It is in many ways a much shorter simplification of various books by CWLeadbetater and Annie Besant, and also HPBlavatsky's 'The Secrret Doctrine' and AAB's 'A Treatise on Cosmic Fire'. Yet to say it is 'just' a shortened version would be a little unfair.

Brevity does not detract from its importance. It is just somewhat different and gives a distinctive and at times contradictory perspective on the concepts-knowledge absorbed from Theosophical texts. This I feel to be a good thing. This book did sometimes cast light on my Theosphical understanding where but otherwise I saw only shadow, but equally sometimes it cast shadows where I previously saw only light, thereby forcing me to think and question more deeply and thereby not necessarily come away with certain knowledge, especially that provided by a single system of thought. Certainty, especially in the intellectual details, can be captivating and dangerous.

There are other overlapping tomes but none that take such a Cosmic perspective. I could for example refer to 'The Kingdom of the Gods' by Geoffrey Hodson as a book dealing with both Kabbalistic & Theosophical ideas but it does not take anything like the same Cosmic perspective.

My initial esoteric readings as a young man included Robert Grave's brilliant 'The White Goddess' which has rightly been compared to a physics textbook in the field of mythology. It took me 3 weeks of constant daily intense concentrated reading to finish. This together with various Kabbalistic texts led me to AAB's 'A Treatise on White Magic', because it had the word Magic in the title, and thence into other of AAB's writings and thus Theosophy, particularly the excellent compilation summaries by AEPowell. I suppose one could say that 'A Treatise on White Magic' is the AAB/Theosophy book most likely to draw one along a Magical current and into the Magickal Kabbalah. For me it was the reverse!

I know of no other book to this day that acts as such a bridgehead between Kabbalah (QBL, or however one might spell it) and Theosophy. Thus Dion Fortune & the Cosmic Doctrine act to bridge the gap between two major occult streams. Those who read and practice Kabbalah can thereby touch Theosophical concepts, and those who read Theosophy might touch Kabbalistic concepts. Still, it is less likely that a Theosophist would pick up a book by Dion Fortune, than would a Kabbalist pick up a book by a Theosophist and thereby decide to investigate Theosophy. Still, but for this book the two might otherwise for many remain separate.

I've oft wondered who she might have channelled.
AAB channelled the Master DK and I had wondered whether this too might be his handiwork, or perhaps that of a close associate.

Love, Light & Laughter
Steve Starlord

5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing book., 27 Dec 2010
Bokhara (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmic Doctrine (Paperback)
It is saddening to note that this invaluable text was once kept "put away", and the public was denied it's transformative value. All thanks to Gareth Knight for letting this book out to the light of day. In this modern time the "McDonald's occultists" will deride the book as not informing their intellect and no one is there holding their hands as they read etc etc. But those who have eyes to see will take this book to their heart and, I hope, apply it in their meditation, and will see the all but lost art of training the mind (as opposed to informing the intellect) in full force and glory.

Cosmic Doctrine
Cosmic Doctrine by Dion Fortune (Paperback - 1 Aug 2003)