Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now

on 10 January 2010
I liked this book when it came out, and years later I still find myself going back to it and its ideas in my own brand consultancy work. Doug's elucidation of the idea of the "authored brand" is worth the cover price alone. (An authored brand happens when the brand owner's role is akin to that of a novelist, creating a brand experience that exalts and lifts people, sometimes pushily, rather than seeking to pander to "what people want" or "what research tells us.") The Harley Davidson analysis also is really enlightening, and convinced me that the conventional understanding and explanation of this brand's success is incorrect.

I think you'll appreciate this book, especially if, like me, you'd rather read about cultural anthropology than "marketing" so-called, even if marketing is what you do all day.
on 28 November 2006
So many marketing books are full of waffle.

One idea made to last 350 pages is so common place it makes you wonder if the best marketing trick was infact the one created to make you buy the book in the first place.

This is one of the few exceptions.

Using real world examples Holt makes the case for cultural resonance as the 'new way' of making marketing stick.

Well worth reading if you are interested or in the world of design, branding or advertising.
on 16 May 2016
The underlying blue ocean approach is heart-warming. The historical and cultural approaches are eye-opening.
on 30 January 2011
The book has a good idea - it reminds you of the importance of culture and I like the overall idea, - However, the book repeats the same idea over and over again and feels a little like it's a theory that could have been summed up in one Blog post, but was stretched into an entire book.

Also, as much as I hate to say it, his writing style is boring and I found it difficult to read after the 50th page. It just goes on and on and on and on....

Good idea, needs work. book could be written in a less boring way!
on 3 July 2011
I read this book after my MBA as I wanted to get a better understanding of Cultural Branding. I think the book provides some nice historical cultural background and also good introduction to different aspects of branding.

However, there are two main things I didn't like in the book

- It seemed like same thing written over and over again. It could have been summed up in one chapter and then a case analysis for each of the campaigns
- Evidence presented seemed mostly situational. I am not convinced.

With that said, I did chuckle at watching the bud ad campaigns all over again and now with "nuanced" cultural background.
on 19 September 2013
I do not like this particular read, it is very one-sided and boring...I didn't know branding was such a useless topic