5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, and eye-opening...
Published on 15 May 2011 by Wendy

3.0 out of 5 stars Disenchanted
I had high hopes when I ordered this book from Amazon. Eric Maisel is a respected creativity coach and author. I absolutely loved his book, Creativity for Life, which has given me invaluable guidance in managing the demands of my art (I am writing a transformational novel-memoir).

Mr Maisel makes the excellent point that creative energy does involve...
Published on 24 April 2012 by A. G. Horne

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, and eye-opening..., 15 May 2011
Wendy (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastering Creative Anxiety: 24 Lessons for Writers, Painters, Musicians, and Actors from America's Foremost Creativity Coach (Paperback)
This is the first book I have ever read to properly explain to me why I feel so continuously scared, or depressed or just *uneasy* about my attempts to write, paint, sing etc. It analysed the many different kinds of fear surrounding attempts to make/create something, the reasons for them, and many different and varied techniques on how to manage and overcome the crippling anxiety created by the fears.

It also made the ground-breaking observation (for me) that the anxiety and fear were natural parts of the creative process, necessary if you are going to be truly present with the work you are trying to do. EVERY SINGLE fear I have felt with relation to trying to write is here in the book, and calmly, quietly explained - seen as normal, cope-able with!

This has been tremendously helpful. Along with his other book 'Fearless Creating' (especially), I'd say this is a better way to get yourself going, and on the road to regular and confident creating of whatever than Julia Cameron's 'Artist's Way', or anything of Natalie Goldberg's. Those books are always praised very highly - and whilst they are useful, if your main problem is a crippling FEAR and ANXIETY when it comes to trying to write (sing, dance - whatever - the book is geared toward all sorts of creations), then his books are specifically about this.

Absolutely 10/10. I re-read bits when I get stuck and feel the fear, still. I have been writing regularly since reading this - and with alot more joy. Very grateful for the help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Art is Nothing Without It, 22 April 2011
Jennifer Pittam "Maythorn" (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
At first I thought this would be another book on how to overcome anxiety, which might help me get on with creating - which it does. However Eric Maisel has researched the creative process in real depth and puts forward the view that the fear is part of the process - art is nothing without it and neither are artists.

There are fascinating chapters on such subjects as ego-bruising, compromise, choosing and failing. The book includes detailed explanations on techniques that range from deep breathing to guided imagery, reorienting, ceremony, symptom confrontation and affirmation/prayer. A lot of it is really new and detailed, not just a repeat of every other new-age book on the shelf. The text is also strongly spiritual, but in the context that creativity is a form of spirituality in itself. Therefore, it is suitable for those with any religious view or absolutely none - examples are drawn from all the great philosophies in the world and from Maisel's own work, and that of his students.

The book was written and published in the United States but comes across as perfectly suitable for a UK audience too, and suitable for artists in any discipline - painting, writing, acting, ceramics and pottery, etc. Very much a workbook for those who actually want to do it - there's an awful lot of work here for the price. If you liked Natalie Goldberg and Julia Cameron, I think you would like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mastering Creative Anxiety, 12 Sept. 2011
Tami Brady "Integrated Whole Health" (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
There is often a great deal of anxiety and risk for those who think outside the box. Really, there's not much choice. When we try to ignore our creative side, we become deeply depressed and life seems rather meaningless and bland. Yet, trying to channel that energy into something that resonates with who we are and pays the bills is a difficult, if not impossible, challenge. Either way, there's a whole lot of anxiety.

Mastering Creative Anxiety is the book that anyone who has a non-traditional job, career, or calling should read. I think that a lot of people assume that creative people are very calm and grounded, fully immersed in their craft. When at our best, we are. However, that's not the complete picture. Just like everyone else, we have bills to pay and have to work hard keep that precarious balance between work and life. Moreover, when we let fear, stress, and anxiety run the show, we become scattered, unproductive, and hypercritical.

Recognizing anxiety is half the battle. Letting go of the fear and the imaginary phantoms. Clarifying and pinpointing the real issue. Then, getting back to work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disenchanted, 24 April 2012
A. G. Horne "Angela" (London, UK) - See all my reviews

Mr Maisel makes the excellent point that creative energy does involve experiencing a certain degree of anxiety. The question is how to manage this anxiety and still be productive in your artistic discipline: how to show up each day even if you are scared.

Some of his techniques are OK, don't get me wrong, but the lessons seemed to lack a deeper dimension for me. Perhaps it is because the author has aimed this book at those who spend too much time in their heads, are caught up in their own dramas and are racked by addictions. Perhaps I am too sensible and boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little diamond!, 5 Mar. 2014
Let's face it, sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees, and need another's insight to help us through. Well, I can whole-heartedly recommend Maisel's book: It's thought-provoking, useful and feels like a wise friend helping you through your block. It's great to be able to just dip in and read the chapters which have my name on them, and it's helped me to realise that my anxiety suffocates my muse. Very highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to address those creative anxieties, 3 Aug. 2013
E. Ditchburn - See all my reviews
Addresses specific creative anxiety threads in a gently way. I go back to this book when I'm doing anything but getting down to picking up that paintbrush!