Format: Paperback|Change

Hand Wash Cold is completely unlike any other spirituality/self help book I've ever read. These days, most of these books look to manifesting abundance or finding your life purpose. In both cases, bigger, better, and more seem to be the measuring sticks: more money, a bigger house, a successful business, a better relationship, etc.

Hand Wash Cold looks to the everyday. Finding peace in whatever your life happens to be right now. No judgments. Being mindful while you undertake the daily chores. Making real connections in the life you have.

For some reason, we just don't see the value in the ordinary. After all, it's not glamorous to do the dishes. There's no money in picking up your husband's dirty socks. Yes, these things need to be done but most of us would prefer that someone else do it. But at what cost?
on 5 April 2014
I loved this book. I read it and then started is all over again.

In the Zen tradition I understood every word of it.....and yet understood nothing.

Karen Maezen Miller uses episodes from her own life and progression towards Zen Priesthood to illustrate that enlightenment, happiness and contentment are really right in front of you.

You will make of the book what you will, you will take from it what you want or need at the time. It won't explain Zen to you. It won't tell you how to be a better person, lose 10lbs, manifest a million pounds - but it will tell you about life and the pursuit of contentment.
I don't mean to be smart, elusive or elliptical in this review - the book is what it is.

Try it - and to quote her Roshi and spiritual mentor - "Let's just see what happens"
on 30 December 2014
Well written as to be expected of Karen. Would recommend.
on 19 December 2010
I was fortunate to have been lent this book by a friend who thought I'd enjoy it and it didn't disappoint.
I read it cover to cover in one day and found its gentle non-preachy style very readable. This book turns the conventional idea that "to have paid help and not have to do your own chores is the way to fulfulment" on its head. You may look at doing the housework in a new light after reading this!