on 27 November 2011
Joseph Campbell is probably one of the most under-rated thinkers of the 20th Century. If you only ever read one of his books, make it Pathways to Bliss.
on 21 May 2015
Was not aware I was ordering the big print version, but no harm done. This book is as gratifying as all the other works by Joseph Campbell that I've read through the years, and the remarks about his own life gave it an extra dimension which was very welcome. I read it straight through and wished for more!
on 25 May 2015
An excellent book looking at other ways than the usual religions to explain the deeper things of life.
on 15 May 2012
This is a great introduction to the world of Joseph Campbell. You might get the feeling it does not give "a clear" answer (your path is not written in bold characters) but it will make you wish you had met him and will trigger your interest in Joseph's work and will make you see in mythology far beyond "the nice little fable". Transforming, yes.
on 13 August 2012
Having seen the name of Joseph Campbell mentioned in various other books I thought I'd better have a look and selected this as it seemed per the description to give a broad outline of his work. Initially I felt quite disappointed, thinking there's a lot of waffle here, there were a few factual errors,, it seemed he was page filling without any substance. And then I thought, Ah, it's written for Americans.
He gives his opinions of Freud, Jung, Adler etc, and it seems he knew Jung but he covers this deep subject matter with such a light touch that I remained disappointed.
About three quarters through the book I got a bit more interested however. It's fairly clear Campbell was a knowledgeable man having read much, digested it and then passed on what he had learnt.
This book is too superficial but it has given me a flavour of the nature of his work and I will when time permits try some of his other works.
I'd have to say the book is a nice light read, it's Ok, it's not great. It could have been substantially edited down but that might have removed some of the style of communication......I'm no book critic; just an opinion.