‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener, 2 Feb. 2007
Ms. L. J. Bryan-williamson (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
My horse and I have fantastic fun together, but I couldn't understand why, when occasionally I needed cheering up, she played up instead leaving me feeling even worse.

Now I know and it's so obvious I can't believe i didn't see it before.

The book has helped me and her and therefore many of our friends - 2 and 4 legged.

It puts a horse's mind and a human's life into a whole new light which is so bright you have to put your shades on!

It does get a bit heavy in places but soldier through those bits and another light bulb goes on - it's amazing and an absolute joy to read. My mouth has fallen open on countless occasions with an "oh yeah, of course".

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed a long held perception of mine, 11 Nov. 2011
A. Grovestock-thompson (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse (Paperback)
I heard someone refer to this book on Carolyn Resnick's website and looked it up on Amazon. I decided to buy it based upon the positive reviews. I started reading this book and quite early on was nearly put off by the author detailing her 'haunting' experiences. I am glad that I continued as there was a lot of thought provoking information. It helped me understand why I feel calmer and more grounded at home on my smallholding with my animals as our ancestors were a part of nature and it is not that long ago in our human histroy that we became divorved from nature and using out intuition with the industrial revolution. We can turn to other things to help us cope (alcohol or drugs) without nature and one story told is that of a young woman who turned to drugs. I have always felt that you know what you are doing if you choose to take drugs and have not felt any sympathy for addicts - this book changed this long held view of mine, which is really something. I loved how the author explains that we can have incongruent emotions, i.e. we put on happy face but have turmoil inside, and how horses back off from this as they can handle our fear and anger if it is congruent with the rest of our body language but they fear us when we are hiding things. I can see how sometimes when I come home from work and I think I'm in a good mood to see my horses but they are hesitatnt and this is because I'm still peed off about something that happened at work.

I liked this book enough to be re-reading it again already and sent a copy to a good friend. I would definately recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Horses and humans, closer than you think?, 22 July 2009
I loved this book and I am not "horsey", although like most young girls, for several years I was passionate about everything to do with horses.
Linda Kohanov's personal journey, skillfully told, gives insight into the relationship between human and horses, our common heritage and where we have grown apart. Linda's experience working with people shows us how people and horses can come together to heal each other.

This book should come with a health warning, it makes you cry! and not because it is sad, but cry with wonder and because you see a glimpse of what we are missing by living so much within a material world. Mood Mapping: Plot Your Way to Emotional Health and Happiness

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Silent Communication & Intuition, 4 Jan. 2012
Miss T Fied (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Living in herds, horses need to avoid making undue noise which could attract predators. The horse has a large limbic brain and is able to communicate silently - understanding whether or not those (horses or humans) in its proximity are congruent or not and responding accordingly. This means that horses have an invaluable ability to 'sense' when someone is 'putting on a front' and so is not authentic with themselves nor others. The horse can also project thoughts / sensations and feelings into others and can act as an amazing mirror to show when we are projecting our distorted version of reality onto them.
The Tao of Equus explores how Linda Kohanov first discovered these experiences for herself and then developed their use in helping people through equine facilitated psychotherapy. And the book covers a whole load of other areas as well - eg mythology; intuition; philosophy; energy work and personal stories. I can't remember how I came across Linda's work - however I've read all her books - and attended 2 of Leigh Shambo's courses in the UK during which I have experienced the connections Linda describes and subsequently developed them. Many people are drawn to horses but don't know why and may well find this book explains that connection. Others may have spent a lifetime with horses but completely missed out on even realising that there's so much more to horses than just riding and using or owning them - and this book might help them start to think differently about their relationship with the horse. And anyone who wants to learn to discover their true authentic self; to leave behind them the layers of confusion that represent our attempts to adapt in a difficult world and to understand how intuition really works will find this book could help them start that journey whether or not they have an interest in horses (although that does help for sure!). The only slight caution that I'd raise is that as an individual develops these skills for themselves - they may find it frustrating how increasingly insensitive and inconsiderate those around them seem to become; horses seem to have far more patience, tolerance and understanding when dealing with people who frankly 'haven't a clue'!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 2 Sept. 2003
D.A. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Told as a story, this is really interesting and at the same time full of insights into horses' (and humans!) behaviour.
A worthwhile read for any horsey people of all disciplines, animal and human therapists and anyone who likes a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing book, 22 Jan. 2005
** "horseymad" (Tenterden , England) - See all my reviews
You must read this book, it has changed my life!!!!!!!!!! . I can't recommend it enough. It is such a shame that Linda lives in the USA, or else I would go train with her. She has such innovative ideas, your horse will notice the difference, and so will you!

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential book, 3 Feb. 2012
Christophe Mouze (Clare Island, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I have just finished struggling my way through this book. It's such dense book, with so much in it that I will probably want to read it again, and in fact, I read some sections twice. Lot of what Linda says about the human mind and soul makes a lot of sense, though, in the light of my training and experience with yoga and Buddhist philosophy, and also, some of the idea she put forward make sense from an astrologer's perspective, so on balance I liked the book very much, and it will certainly make me look at my horses in a different way. And even though her story in extraordinary, I don't think she made things up, but even if she did, the ideas she put forward are still well worth considering / experimenting with.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 18 Feb. 2011
This is one of the books about horses that has triggered a shift towards realising that they are amazing animals who can help humans shift their consciousness. It shifted my awareness about horses. Linda has certainly done some pioneering work. The story behind her journey is interesting to read.

The book can be a bit hard going in places though, for my taste a bit too complex in the way that ideas are described, and can be too ' wordy '. I prefer a more direct approach, so there were times when I had to put the book down and pick it up another day. Otherwise I would have given the book five stars as it is groundbreaking in it's topic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to a new world, 23 May 2012
Linda Kohanov has the courage and the communication skills to share with us her journey of discovery. As a woman, there are many wonderful insights into overcoming difficulties in life. For men, this book also serves as an enlightenment into the feminine thought-processes. If you dream of a better world, this book will give you rich inspiration. In a future time, perhaps we, humans, could consider horses as companions on this earth, full of another form of intelligence which can help us live better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - covers the subject extensively, 30 Aug. 2014
I bought this book because I love horses and I am drawn to animal communication. I am also a life coach looking to add to my tool box. I was amazed by the content of the book, covering myth, psychology, spirituality, quantum physics, and tying up so many areas of my interest - it answers questions I had that have not been answered elsewhere. A must read for horse people but very interesting for anyone who wants to know more about human existence.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›