5.0 out of 5 stars Reader from Berkshire (uk)
Wow, what a book!!
I heard about Richard Carslon through another Author called "Dave Pelzer", he mentioned him in one of his self-help books. I purchased this book and was unable to put it down!
Published on 11 Nov. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful but not life-changing
Published on 24 Oct. 2007 by Stefan43

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Reader from Berkshire (uk), 11 Nov. 2002
Wow, what a book!!
I am suffering with Depression and have had it for several years. Im undergoing regular counselling and am trying to get my life into perspective. I have read a lot of "Self-Help" books and this book was by far the best read I have had in a long time.
Richard is a very clever man, his views/opinions and thoughts about life are amazing, his techniques are not something that you would think about for yourself unless prompted to do so, and even then you would need a reason to look at your way of thinking in the first place. Richard gives you the answers to your questions and really makes sense with everything he is saying. Throughout the book you feel as though he has read your mind. You begin questioning yourself, your attitudes and your beliefs, not for being wrong, but for what they could be... he even gives you techniques to try to do yourself.
I was getting to the stage whereby I did not think anything was helping me, but after reading this book, I was very impressed and am slowly attempting to gain another perspective on life.
A brilliant book, that if you brought for the same reasons as I did will take you far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the only 'self help' book you will ever need., 3 May 2004
By A Customer
This relatively small book contains more instantly-usable wisdom than the aisles and aisles of other so-called 'self help' titles I've trawled through.
I went through a brief bad patch last year, and realised that, at 32, it was time to learn about my own psychological functioning and how to take charge of my own experience of life. Over several months, I read a few great titles on depression, self-esteem and general life coaching. However, this book contained more usable wisdom than all of the others put together. Perhaps it's the fact that I'd read the others beforehand; but I doubt that. In the first few pages, I was thinking "this is it!"
I'm no self help book junkie, but if you're looking for a book that will help *you* to change your own experience for the better in a way that not many people are aware they're capable of, this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever book about improving your state of mind, 27 July 1999
By A Customer
This little book is a gem. If you are a moody person - and who isn't - then read it. If not, read it anyway. I can't think of book which has helped me sort out my thoughts in the way this one has. It's hard to summarise what reading it has given me but perhaps the main thing it's taught me is to let my brain work for me while I get on and enjoy life instead of always 'thrashing' my brain for answers. Carlson not only dispenses a little wisdom but shows us how to access our own. A must!

4.0 out of 5 stars You Can Be Happy No Matter What, 7 Oct. 2007
Tami Brady "Integrated Whole Health" (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
For many of us, happiness is a goal that we never seem to achieve. We closely examine our unhappiness and fret over all the issues in our lives. We know in our hearts and our very souls that if we can just earn a little more money, deal with a childhood trauma, or get married that we'll finally be happy. Unfortunately, once we succeed in these endeavors, a whole new set of issues appears and we find ourselves still unhappy.

Life doesn't stop just because we read a self help book or decide to work on our issues. There is no secret formula that magically absolves a person from facing the challenges that we all experience. The ups and downs of everyday life will always be there. However, you can choose how you feel about yourself and your life. You can see problems as defining you as a failure or as a bad person or you can see them as merely a natural part of life. You can try to make your child act just the way you want or nag at your husband because he's not perfect or you can get some perspective and see that these little things aren't all that important in the scope of your love and happiness.

Perhaps, the most important thing I gained from You Can Be Happy No Matter What is the importance of taking time out. Like most human beings, when I'm in a low mood, the world seems darker and my problems more difficult. In the past, I thought that I had to solve these issues as they came up. As the author states though, real problems won't disappear when you are feeling more yourself. Little irritants that don't really matter will simply fall away. Then, you can work on your real problems and actually have a clear mind to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Depressed? Anxious? Try healthy psychological functioning!!!, 28 Nov. 1997
By A Customer
This was the first of several books I read from Dr. Carlson, and I know it was a very instrumental part of my recovery process overcoming depression. I can't remember when I was so excited to read a book (except perhaps, when I read his book, "Shortcut Through Therapy"). I've read it three times, and bought four copies for other people who were also amazed at how much control they actually had over their own happiness!
The beauty of this book is it's simplicity. It combines principles and applications that are not difficult to understand and, with practice, almost effortless to implement. This book benefited me because I believed, that I had little or no control over my thoughts, feelings, moods, circumstances or happiness.
As I reflect after reading the book, I find that I have been feeling better longer. I still have low moods, but I don't sink as low, stay as long or hurt as bad as I used to. I'm still in therapy, and an end is in sight. My shrinks have substantially lenthened the time between visits, and reduced my meds considerably.
Thank you Dr. Carlson, for your helping hand when it was needed most.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! It all became clear, 11 Aug. 2006
P. Holmes "phil2209" (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have read some of his work before with 'don't sweat the small stuff' and enjoyed his style of writing. Because of this and the reviews I had read on this particular book, I knew I had to get it. Oh what a great decision that was!

This book makes you realise and understand just how powerful our own thinking is and how it can instantly effect our mood and how our mood can effect our thinking. Please get this book, you won't be disappointed

If you would like to learn much more about our thinking patterns and how to positively control them, I HIGHLY recommend Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies'

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely excellent....but only for so long, 25 Mar. 2009
When I first read this book in 1997/98 it was great, and had immediate impact; however its impact was less than "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" or "Feel the Fear and do it anyway". And after 1 year its impact had all but disappeared. The main part I am still aware of is that at times our brains respond analytically/robotlike, with much effort and at other times the brain responds with ease and inspiration. The latter is what we need to capture more of

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful but not life-changing, 24 Oct. 2007
Stefan43 (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This is a fairly helpful book, but quite repetitive despite being short, and it could easily be summarised on one piece of paper (in fact, I did). One of the key messages is ignore (not suppress) negative thoughts, wait for low moods to pass, and don't try to do anything important, like taking decisions, when you're in a low mood. And if it doesn't pass? No answer in the book. There is also rather a contradiction within a page or two when Carlton first says "don't trust your feelings when in a low mood", and then "your feelings are an unvarying accurate guide to the state of your thought". Worth the price of a beer or two, but it doesn't tackle the root cause of unhappiness, which in my view is usually wanting things you haven't got (and usually don't really need). There is no chapter on how to deal with unfulfilled wants or desires and be satisfied with what you've got.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy family, 27 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
My sister in law read this book and before she did she was a miserable person but now we all get along just fine. I suggest that you might consider buying this book to give as a gift to all of your miserable relatives. It works best on in laws.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is easy to overlook the spiritual awakening aspect of the message, 17 Nov. 2014
M. Hilton (UK) - See all my reviews
It has taken me years to realise that Richard Carlson's books were derived from the Psychology Of Mind/Health Realisation approach based on The Three Principles associated with Syd Banks from the mid 1970's. The same approach has more recently been expressed as The Inside Out Revolution by Michael Neill. Richard Carlson found a niche with his gift for sharing these ideas in a very readable way. It is easy to overlook the spiritual awakening aspect of the message, the more receptive you are, the more you get out of reading the book. It is not about re-adjusting the information you have already stored in your brain to make room for it's message, it is more about being open to a radical re-appraisal of how the mind works. Another of Richard Carlson's books, Stop Thinking & Start Living, also brilliantly captures insights about thought and awareness.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

You Can be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective
Used & New from: £48.50