on 28 September 2012
In the late 1990s Eckhart Tolle shot to fame in the world of contemporary spirituality with the publication of his book The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment, and a few years later, with good help from Oprah Winfrey and her book club, his popularity and success moved onto a whole new level with the book A New Earth: Create a Better Life. In-between these two excellent books he published another little book that in its own unique way is as good, but not nearly as well-known and popular as it deserves to be. This book is called Stillness Speaks and it is a lovely collection of sutra-like statements centred around some of Eckhart Tolle's most familiar themes.

The book is divided into 10 chapters, each dealing with a particular subject, such as The Now, Acceptance and Surrender, Silence and Stillness, Nature, Relationships, and Who You Truly Are. These are all subjects that Eckhart Tolle has covered extensively in his two main books, but the difference here is that instead of writing about each theme in great detail, he writes just short statements which can all be read separately. In other words, you can just open the book anywhere you like and read something, and regardless of what you chance upon, it is bound to be very good, inspiring and enlightening. This book is more suited for quiet introspection, meditation and reflection than for the kind of thorough study and exploration that The Power of Now and A New Earth invite. To give you a feeling of what Stillness Speaks really is about, it might be useful to quote from Eckhart Tolle's introduction to the book:

"This is not a book to be read from cover to cover and then put away. Live with it, pick it up frequently, and, more importantly, put it down frequently, or spend more time holding it than reading it. Many readers will feel naturally inclined to stop reading after each entry, to pause, reflect, become still. It is always more helpful to stop reading than to continue reading."

This might seem like a rather strange kind of advice from an author, but the funny thing is that this book, more than any other I've come across, really does seem to invite the reader to just hold it, look at it, and thus experience or feel the essence of it. It is a rare book indeed that has the power to induce a state of peace and meditation just by being held, but Stillness Speaks carries that little extra special something. It is a beautiful book in all respects, and one to be loved and treasured over a lifetime. Stillness Speaks may be a small book, but in its own unique way, it is a vehicle for transformation and authentic spiritual maturity.
on 13 June 2014
Love anything by Exkhart Tolle as he is so inspiring!
I read it through greedily once and it is very practical advice for everyday living, - not lofty spiritual work that you can never hope to attain. He is simply very clear and wise and not wrapped up in jargon. His philosophy is based on Buddhist principles of non attachment and non resistance, but he explains the reasons why this approach works from a psychological point of view.
I am drawn back to it frequently and just dipping into the words, randomly, remind me of centering and finding the eye of the storm within!
A great classical handbook for living in a crazy world.
Example..... 'Whenever you feel negativity arising within you,whether caused by an external factor, a thought or even nothing in particular that you aware of, look on it as a voice saying.''Attention. Here and Now. Wake up. Get out of your mind. Be present!'

Buy it now - its one you will want to own and refer to often, not borrow and have to return a copy to a friend
on 16 March 2004
I found this audiobook to be very relaxing and comforting. Eckhart Tolle seems to remind you that peace is what is really important,and is what you lose the most if you get too involved with mass consciousness, but through paying attention to the stillness all around you and more importantly within you, you can rediscover the peace in the Now that is everyone's salvation.He is a wise and empathetic teacher who truly lives his message, and there is a lot here to inspire others.
on 9 September 2003
Spiritual books have an air of cult about them, this book is no such thing. Deeper than our values, inter-wound into our beliefs and absent from our mindless habits there is a higher self. Be here now.
The signposts used in this book have helped me to put what matters most first. Eckhart Tolle places into words the hardest of ideas and clearly states the beliefs that hinder my happiness. The writings are open and inviting, following the same gentle tone used in The Power of Now. Each chapter follows a basic theme, striking a note on the things that are deep down in all of us. And just looking at and knowing these signposts makes my mind a more interesting place.
In essence, this book is the core of what many religions take years to teach. Its secret is not in the teaching, but in the writings openness and acceptance to what we are.
I would recommend this book to anyone to which it appeals.
0Comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 May 2009
As with all Eckhart Tolle books, this is another 'bible' for me. It's written in sections which can be read together or on their own, which makes it easy to read and understand. As in 'The Power of Now' it is a spiritual book written in Western form which can teach us to live in the moment and understand how our minds work so that we can find peace. I think it is a book everyone should read!
on 7 March 2014
Love the paragraphs.... Great format
Does what it's supposed to.. Reminds us of what utter garbage our mind continually traffics..
Thanks ET (maybe thats his trick.. He's from outer space and he's giving directions to inner space..)
on 28 November 2010
This is the second book i have read by Eckhart Tolle, and i must admit sometimes i found them a little bit hard to understand (but if you knew me you perhaps wouldn't be surprised!!!), but i got the true meaning about what he was trying to convey.
I have found alot of peace from reading this book and as it's bite sized portions it was easier to understand.
So much of life these days is so frantic and this is like a small oasis of calm that you can pick up and refresh your mind with!!
Really recommended!
on 2 September 2009
If you have read books by Eckhart Tolle, such as The Power of Now, and to my mind his best work A New Earth. Then Stillness Speaks is a book which can be kept near at hand, to ponder some of the paragraphs contained in his works. The profound passages from his books helped me to get through a difficult time. The Power of Now, and A New Earth give much food for thought, and the short clips in Stillness Speaks enable you to think of the messages his books convey,A New Earth: Create a Better Life without going into lengthy reading. Good to keep nearby.
44 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2010
Having experienced the death of my son in law from Motor Neurone Disease,i found myself to be in a very dark place. I was attending counselling where my therapist recommended this book to me.I pick it up frequently and read small sections which i spend some time thinking through. It is now affecting the way i think about my life and makes so much sense to me now. I think at certain times in your life you are in need of help to look at problems from a different perspective and this book has helped me to do that
on 16 October 2014
If I had to categorise this book (of which I have the audio version) I would say it is The Power of Now lite! or Eckhart for dummies. It is almost an abridged version of TPON, in shorter more manageable chunks. I found TPON to be a large part of my own 'spiritual/philosophical' jigsaw tying together many other concepts I had read about and perhaps been struggling with on and off for many years. So I use 'stillness ..' as a short form version, like a 'top up' whenever I don't have time to re-immerse my self in TPON or listen to the whole audio version of it. I think it would be a great introduction to Tolles work, something which bypasses some of the more esoteric ideas found in TPON and allows a person to gently become use to the idea of self/ego/present moment awareness and the whole idea of spirituality without the need for gods/prophets or concepts, I could see that it would very useful for some to read/listen to this and THEN move onto The Power Of Now which is far more in depth. Its a great if brief piece of work and very contemporary, very much of its time .. reminds me a lot of Alan Watts lectures in places. So yes, it could well be the thing you're looking for if you desire to expand your spiritual outlook. If you have TPON I don't think you need this, it isn't a pre-requisite but could come in handy, as I have said, as a short form audio top up.