on 11 August 2005
It is funny how we Indians can laugh at ourselves. Anurag Mathur has done an excellent job in painting an exceedingly humorous portrait of an Indian from a small town adjusting to a small town in the US. This is must read for all not just Indians travelling aborad.
However it is a little disappointing that Mr. Mathur's other books have not reached a level even close to The inscrutable Americans.
on 12 July 1998
hilarious (mostly) and boring (in some parts ) this is a humorous account of a small town indian making his first journey to america.... the author has pulled a very fine farce on "gopal's" english ...which any indian student would find extermely hilarious ...in some parts the novel does drag..but on the whole a nice read..!!!
on 15 January 2010
I am not a book worm. In fact, I rarely read books.. even newspapers are scanned rather than read. Who has time to read anyway?

So, after this book was enthusiastically recommended by an Indian friend, I thought I'd give it a go. Worse case, I'll scan it.

Well, not since To Kill A Mocking Bird and The Holy Bible have I been so addicted to a book! I looked forward to going to and from work so I had excuse and preciuous time to read it, seeing how Gopal was doing in the current chapter.

I found it funny, very funny in parts.

There were some tedious sections, very, very few and far between, perhaps two.

I laughed out loudly. Packed commuter train, shy Englishman in Australia. That's a measure in itself!

I finished the book tonight and felt some sorrow, like Randy - one of the characters, as I was saying goodbye to a friend in Gopal.

Highly recommended to anyone with a sense of humour or reality.
on 16 September 2010
Anurag Mathur's book is a humorous portrait of an Indian student adjusting to the way of life in the States; holding on to his ideas, ideologies and practices.. I used to read this on my way to and from work on a packed commuter train. There have been many occasions when people must have thought that I've lost my marbles whenever I burst out laughing reading a funny episode. This is must read for all.
on 28 September 1998
This is a really funny book. Anyone who does not think so has a serious lack of humour. This is one of the only laugh a minute books I have ever read, and yet it manages to convey its message. An absolute must for any Indian going to study or settle down abroad.
on 23 August 2015
Very funny whilst thought provoking
on 6 July 1999
I bought this book after reading so many good reviews by the other readers. I was rather disappointed! This book perpetuates the myth about immigrant Indians running after white women (if there is a theme of this book, this is it). Some episodes are funny (washing clothes in bath tub, bargaining at the store etc) but the rest felt too tedious to read after a while. I tried to think if my assessment may have been biased because I personally attended top ten institutions and found only top notch Indian students whose primary (and only!) focus was good quality research followed by an excellent career. Portrayal of caucasian women is also very biased. Anyway, this is my opinion. Read the book and judge it for yourself.