Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 May 2012
I'm a confirmed fan of Ari Seth Cohen's blog, a badly-needed antidote to contemporary fashion's obsession with extreme youth and a very limited definition of beauty. (It was not always this way - before the 1960s the great couturiers designed with the elegant older woman in mind and younger women aspired to look like her.) I have been waiting eagerly for this book and am not disappointed. Seth Cohen's subjects show that you don't have to become invisible once you hit fifty. Aged from sixty-five up to a hundred, these wonderful women (and one or two men) run the whole gamut of styles from over-the-top theatricality to elegant minimalism. What they all have in common is that they are dressing to please themselves and they look as if they enjoy every minute of it. There is not a cookie-cutter fashion-follower among them - each has honed her (or his) personal style to perfection and wears it with pride.
The photographs are beautiful. I'd have liked a little more text, as I enjoy the wit and wisdom of the Advanced Style women, but maybe that would have meant fewer pictures.
The blog mentioned recently that a film is in preparation. I can't wait.
on 7 June 2012
i came across Ari Seth Cohen's website and had to have his book. i'm not disappointed - its just full of pictures of lovely old women who look amazing - very inspriational. I am buying another copy for my 91 year old mother - and thank you for sending it on time to have Ari sign it for me.
on 12 July 2012
An amazing insight into the colourful world of many 'advanced style' women.
This book has certainly changed my views on getting older.
on 23 October 2012
I did not expect it to be so big, which was a nice surprise - it is quite a chunky volume, not much text but the little amount written is brilliant. Quality of the photographs is superb. That book really inspired me to experiment with my hair style and clothing on the very same evening it arrived. Highly recommended for the mature beauties like myself who love uniqueness and style.
on 7 May 2013
This wonderful book celebrates the energy of life. Ari Seth Cohen photographs older women whose vitality is expressed through their stylish outfits. These women display Individuality, creativity and a soupcon of rebelliousness. It is a joy to experience them through their pithy comments and through Ari's gorgeous photographs .
This is a book for anyone interested in seeing the human spirit made visible.
on 4 December 2012
It is a very interesting book I bought after seeing it in a magazine. It was a gift to my mum and she loved it.
on 11 November 2012
A beautiful simple book with lovely imagery. Was bought for purposes of research and has helped greatly, I love the blog and the book reflects reflects the best of street style.
on 20 April 2014
It was very refreshing to have a Fashion-related book dedicated to the Mature Woman. Many of the ladies photographed proved that style and elegance lives on, no matter what your age! Though the author should be congratulated for focusing on this particular group, there were moments within the book where one's own personal taste may not have been in total agreement with his. It would have been a better format if he classed the various subjects within different categories-eg.' Elegance'; 'Eccentric';'Glamourous' etc. Well done to Mr. Cohen nonetheless for honouring the memories of his grandmothers'!
on 10 June 2014
There is a big difference between expressing oneself through the eccentricity of style and the eccentricity of bad taste. Unfortunately Ari Seth, has scraped the barrel. Some of these women genuinely have style at their age ...which is indeed inspiring , as they still have a passion to look good and can throw a great outfit together. There are other women, who should never have been included in this book, as they are simply women who are old and dress in an eccentric way - they do not have style. They are not original, they just have such bad taste that they stand out in society for their loud and flamboyant clothing.

It would have been a lot more inspiring if Seth had selected more women with good style... therefore its disappointing
on 24 February 2013
Ari Seth Cohen is a remarkable young man in his mission to highlight older people. As an older person I find this book inspiring, uplifting and makes me smile on the darkest days. The downside is that it makes me want to go and live in Manhatten where I could also go and do my own thing, however eccentric.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse